Built by CCS

85 Big Red 250 es correct stator?

Hey guys, I’ve got a 1985 Honda big red 250 ES, that had a fly wheel go out. I purchased a used one on eBay, and it’s too big for the stator that is on the bike, Resulting in no spark. The one I took off was a Mistuba and I am assuming the one I bought is a Denso. The part number on the fly wheel is 032000-4370. Can anyone help me with the correct part number for the stator? 
thanks in advance
Tony

Edited by Built by CCS

You may find the parts you need in our For sale/Trade forum. @Fishfiles lists some parts for the 250 Big Red here:

25 minutes ago, retro said:

Hi, welcome to ATV Honda!

You are correct, a Mitsuba stator must have a Mitsuba flywheel or it won't work. A Denso stator must have a matching Denso flywheel as well.

Partzilla lists the part numbers for both supplier brands:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985/atc250es-a-big-red/alternator

stator-flywheel.png

The problem is that none of the part numbers match the one on my fly wheel. How do I figure out witch demos stator is correct?

That number you got off the flywheel isn't a part number ,  # 31110-HA0-004  is the part number for a Denso which was only used on a 85 , then some 85s and 86-87 it is a Mitsuba ----  I think the way it works is as long as you use the matching flywheel to stator combo you would be ok ----but what you got , I don't know ---- I think at this point you need to get a set or take a chance buying used  if you don't see the words Denso or Mitsuba ---- seems I might remember something about one stator having like 7 and one 9 or something like that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ya buying a flywheel & stator set (of either brand) may be the best way to solve the problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, retro said:

Hi, welcome to ATV Honda!

You are correct, a Mitsuba stator must have a Mitsuba flywheel or it won't work. A Denso stator must have a matching Denso flywheel as well.

Partzilla lists the part numbers for both supplier brands:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985/atc250es-a-big-red/alternator

stator-flywheel.png

The problem is that none of the part numbers match the one on my fly wheel. How do I figure out witch demos stator is correct?

I’ll probably end up doing that if I can’t find a way to match the two up. You would think that it would be readily available especially if they made more than one type for that particular year. Thank you guys I appreciate your feedback.

The part number is not stamped on the flywheel, just a casting number which doesn't identify them. Both Mitsuba and Denso systems were supplied at the same time, so its a matter of getting lucky on the matchup when buying just one part.

• Thanks 1

you can count the number of poles ( towers on the stator )  , I think that is the difference , but I have no clue on which one has how many ---

I have some TRX250A engines , a couple are taken apart , but not on the stator side , so the stator and flywheel has to be in there , what part of the world are you 

• Thanks 1

I will have to pull it back apart tomorrow, I think I’m just going to end up replacing the fly wheel with the same type that I took off. I found them used on eBay for like 50 bucks.

• Like 1