flyawaygirl

Honda TRX500 with no spark

Hey everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. I've researched pretty much everything I can find and thrown parts at this thing and still nothing. I'm at a complete loss. I can't seem to find anyone with the same situation as mine. Here goes.

2007 Honda TRX500 FE 4x4. Electric shift only.

Had no spark at all. Turns over great but won't fire. I have replaced the battery, the stator, the regulator rectifier, ignition coil, angle sensor and now the CDI box. All OEM Honda parts from dealership. Still nothing. New spark plug. No spark. All display lights are normal. No flashing 'N', no '--'. I decided to change the cdi box after realizing that when the key is turned over it won't shift up or down. No response on the shift buttons at all. Kill switch seems to be fine. Start button works good. Fuses are good and replaced just in case. Looked through the wiring and nothing seems amiss. But still... no spark.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a similar story with a resolution? 

Thank you in advance!

Edited by flyawaygirl
Added info!

First question is whether or not he replaced all those components with Honda parts, or Amazon/China parts

If your machine doesn’t sense neutral it will not start.  You have a bright green Neutral light and an N on the display?

Have you replaced your spark plug?

Thank you for responding.

All parts are honda oem directly from a Honda dealership. Tried two different new spark plugs and yes. I have a bright green neutral light and an n on the display.

14 hours ago, flyawaygirl said:

Thank you for responding.

All parts are honda oem directly from a Honda dealership. Tried two different new spark plugs and yes. I have a bright green neutral light and an n on the display.

Well that's going to require some digging then.

I'm attaching a pic from the troubleshooting section of the factory service manual.

If you go to the toolbar at the top of the page, you'll see a tab that says "service manuals".  Click on that, follow the links (Honda, Utility, 05-11 Foreman 500) and download the factory service manual in PDF format (or print if you prefer and have a case of paper around).

With all that you've done so far it would point to a loose/dirty connection somewhere IMO.  Hopefully you still have all of the plastics off.  Pull those connectors apart, spray some CRC electrical contact cleaner up in the plugs, and then put some dialectic grease on the connections when you put them back together. 

I'm not great with electrical gremlins, but @retro, @AKATV, and @Melatv are wizards.

no spark.JPG

not sure if its the same gen but it might be had to replace a gear sensor on a 00 showed neutral and reverse at the same time on the dash does yours show anything odd light that? it would turn over but no spark 

I manually went through the gears and it displays them all correctly on the display so I'm assuming gear position sensor is okay.

Thank you so much for telling me about the service manual access here. That is much appreciated.

Most likely you have a broken ground somewhere in the wiring harness. Some testing will let you know that or not. If it is it's about as easy to tap in a new ground source (they are all connected in the harness) to one of the ground wires on the front side of the harness. Only way to know for sure is testing though. You tried all the basic parts and being an 07 power steering is ruled out so all that's left is wiring.