BlueJay

Barn find - no starter function

After working on this thing for over a month, I finally tried starting it. When I pressed the starter button nothing moved, clicked, etc but I was able to start it after several pulls on the manual pull cord. It ran but I still need some work on the carburetor. That being said, what is the best plan of attack for diagnosing the starter issue. I checked the fuses and I plan on checking the switch itself and then moving forward. Thanks for any suggestions you all might have.  

PS, After digging through the FSM I see a really good diagnostic routine for checking the starter function. I think this is exactly what I need but if anyone has some quick tips I will take them!

Edited by BlueJay

How long has the bike sat ? Well....... Let me put it this way....... Is there any sign of rodent damage to the wire harness ?

• Like 1

It has been sitting for at least 5 years. I didn’t see any chewed wires but plenty of “dirt dobber” nests (wasp like insect that builds dirt nests in every crevice they can find). The starter doesn’t look that hard to remove so I will proceed as per the FSM. Thanks.

Glad to help..... Yeah those dobbers are a pita here in Tennessee, like you say in every place they can, be sure to post back ..... ....pardon me for not looking at your other post.... But what bike is this ? A honda, or other make ? 

The bike is a 2000 Rancher TRX350TE. I went through the diagnostic from the FSM all the way down to the diode and everything checks out fine according to the manual. Still no click at the solenoid. I wonder if it is a bad solenoid and should I start throwing parts at it?

• Thanks 1

Does starter turn when you jump the solenoid terminals? Have you ever done this before? Because you have to short the terminals with a screwdriver while keeping your body and anything else from touching the screwdriver. It will spark A LOT if you’re not solidly connected 

so if it turns, you haven’t really isolated anything yet. But if it doesn’t turn, then you might consider replacing the starter. Or at least removing it to further inspect 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting back, and Plus 1 ^^^^^^ even if the starter brushes were bad you should still hear the solenoid click.... 

My gut tells me the solenoid is frozen since the voltage is correct. I am going to get a new solenoid and try that out. I also plan to hot jump the starter and see what kind of mood it is in. Thanks for all the replies. 

• Like 2

OEM parts. Use the oem parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla 

sometimes when solenoid is bad the entire electrical system will dim when you hit the starter

Edited by Goober

Used OEM solenoids are cheap at Powersportsnation.com, FYI.

Make sure you have a good neutral light and an N on the display.  If not, you won't get power to the solenoid to actuate it.

Solved: I finally figured it out. The plug harness to the solenoid was faulty. I had tested all the voltages as per the FSM and everything was checking out correctly but all the measurements were done with the harness unplugged. I put a new solenoid in and it still would not click. I hot bumped the solenoid and the starter turned normally so I knew it wasn’t getting voltage. The plug to the solenoid didn’t seem like it was a firm connection so I cut the wires and put on spade plugs and the starter now fires with the start button. Had me scratching my head for days. 

• Like 2