shadetree

1988 trx350D foreman 4x4

You need to wear sunglasses in the shop with that engine???

1 minute ago, bcsman said:

You need to wear sunglasses in the shop with that engine???

haha..no..not yet, maybe when i'm done with it ?..lol.

6 minutes ago, fatcat said:

😳😳😳that is one FINE looking machine!! Can’t wait to see it complete. 

ty !, I can't wait until its done either !..lol. its going slow for sure.

Woah that's crazy good looking shade! I presume you painted the engine and diff? What paint did you use?

Just now, TrxPipUK said:

Woah that's crazy good looking shade! I presume you painted the engine and diff? What paint did you use?

yep, painted the engine and rear diff, silver, krylon from wally world :-).

• Like 1

Looking good so far Shade....I'm jealous of you haha...I would love to work on and restore these old ATV's for my job!

15 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

Looking good so far Shade....I'm jealous of you haha...I would love to work on and restore these old ATV's for my job!

haha, its not my daily job , just a hobby. ty for the comment !.

1 hour ago, TRX Student said:

It is bonkers how clean things are, and how fast that is going together. Experience really coming out. !.

yeah, it helps when you have a few of these under your belt :-).

ran into a slight snag on rear swing arm late lastnight, while finishing up tightening the swing arm bolts, left rear went in no prob, right rear bolt went in ok, but when I started to torque it down ?, I then could grab the rear swing arm, lift it, then it would get in a spot, and bind ?, well crap, this tells me the swing arm bearings are not as good as I had thought ?, must have flat spots on the rollers ?, because the race was pretty good. sooooooooo..i had to put in an order for two new rear swing arm bearings. these were removed from the front swing arm, and used in the rear swing arm, as the rear swing arm bearings fell apart when I dropped it from the get-go. just a small set-back, no biggie..whats more money spent huh ?!..lol.

• Like 2

shade - now i understand what you wrote in my intro - this blue build puts lust in my heart !

7 hours ago, 86 Rider said:

shade - now i understand what you wrote in my intro - this blue build puts lust in my heart !

lol, she's alittle rough around the edges ?, but she'll clean up pretty good when I am done.

just came in from the shop, got the front diff all cleaned up, and put back together, its sitting on my work bench, waiting on some fresh silver paint :-).

4 hours ago, machinecrook said:

Just beautiful! I love your rebuilds. Can't wait to start my 1986 350!! Hopefully I can find the parts 🙂

your biggest challenge is going to be locating bearings and seals, as most are discontinued now. as for common parts ?, depends on what you will need ?, my bud has a '86 trx350 sitting in his bone yard with most parts ( not all ! ) still on it. motor wise, from '86 to '89 they all are the same, cept the left engine cover. front diff on the '86 is different than the later years because of the pinion gear. rear diff is the same on all years. front brake drums are different, and the knuckles are different. the one draw back on the '86 ?, is most parts for this year, WILL ONLY CALL FOR PARTS FOR THIS YEAR !. 

• Like 2

well, hit another snag on front diff. seems all the diff oil seals are shot !, oil seal that sits inside the part of the knuckle that bolts to the ends of the front diff are worn too bad. as well as the oil seals that are just inside the ends of the front diff, after adding some gear oil, I could see them leaking. which would explain why there was water in the front diff when I tore it down. I could leave it like this, and not replace them ?, but thats not how I roll !. I located all my oil seals on ebay, as these seals are no longer around from honda. these are NOS seals from ebay, will take a few days to get here, in the mean time, I will rip the front diff back down, and have it ready for the new seals. I also had to locate two inner knuckle cv joint seals that install in the knuckle behind the knuckle wheel bearing, got them headed this way. this should ?????...lol, be every seal now replaced with new seals all the way around :-).

• Like 2

It is a bummer that simple parts like seals are becoming no longer available OEM ..... 

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

well, hit another snag on front diff. seems all the diff oil seals are shot !, oil seal that sits inside the part of the knuckle that bolts to the ends of the front diff are worn too bad. as well as the oil seals that are just inside the ends of the front diff, after adding some gear oil, I could see them leaking. which would explain why there was water in the front diff when I tore it down. I could leave it like this, and not replace them ?, but thats not how I roll !. I located all my oil seals on ebay, as these seals are no longer around from honda. these are NOS seals from ebay, will take a few days to get here, in the mean time, I will rip the front diff back down, and have it ready for the new seals. I also had to locate two inner knuckle cv joint seals that install in the knuckle behind the knuckle wheel bearing, got them headed this way. this should ?????...lol, be every seal now replaced with new seals all the way around :-).

Were they OEM NOS or knock-off NOS? A good seal is a good seal when you get down to it, I'm just curious what you had to resort to in this particular instance for future reference.

What greases are you using Shadetree?

some bearings call for lithium, others for moly? I had planned to use the Valvoline or John Deere extreme duty poly grease (because that’s what I already have). I didn’t want two more grease guns but ill get them if i have to.

Edited by Goober

Lithium greases can be replaced by synthetics and they should be replaced as soon as possible... because lithium bases break down and cake after repeated heat cyclings. Moly greases (minimum 8% molybdenum content) are still required for all splines.

10 hours ago, TRX350D said:

Were they OEM NOS or knock-off NOS? A good seal is a good seal when you get down to it, I'm just curious what you had to resort to in this particular instance for future reference.

they are oem seals, found some NOS replacements on ebay.

7 hours ago, Goober said:

What greases are you using Shadetree?

some bearings call for lithium, others for moly? I had planned to use the Valvoline or John Deere extreme duty poly grease (because that’s what I already have). I didn’t want two more grease guns but ill get them if i have to.

I use heavy duty, high temp, super tech, I think it has moly based on the can ?, i'll have to take a look.

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

It is a bummer that simple parts like seals are becoming no longer available OEM ..... 

yeah fish, parts is one thing, but simple things like seals ?..come on !. its a challenge these days to find simple things like bearings and seals for sure.

update: got my right side cover in today from goober ( thanks bro ! ), also got my swing arm bearings in, now I can get the front and rear swing arms installed. sheshh..i got so many parts to go through, get cleaned, painted, and back on this ole girl. I think waiting on parts is the hardest thing to do with this build !?!..lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1