shadetree

1988 trx350D foreman 4x4

update: well crap !!!, got far enough to do a test ride ( just around my back yard ), hearing a noise that should not be there ?. ripped the drive line out, still there, removed the clutch side cover, pulled both clutches, hearing what seems to be a bad bearing in the change clutch shaft ?. bottom line : i've got to rip the motor back out, back apart, and find out wth is wrong inside the motor !!!..sigh..story of my life..lol.

• Sad 3

I know where you can get a perfectly running 350 engine to swap out....prolly right in your yard.....lol

Hope you quickly find out where the problem is, know you will...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RanchHand420 said:

Hopefully its nothing to serious or damaged. Was it making noise in gear at an idole? Moving? All the time?

would only do it while in gear, moving. i'm almost sure it has something to do the change clutch shaft ?, least thats what i hear and feel anyway ?.

Well one good thing , it is in the right person's yard to get fix !!!! 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Well one good thing , it is in the right person's yard to get fix !!!! 

yeah..thats one way too look at it !..lol.

went out to shop earlier to close it up, figured i'd eye-ball it one last time, while watching the change clutch as i spun rear tires, i could see a slight wobble with the change clutch ?, i could spin the change clutch around by hand slowly, and i could feel it start to bind up in one spot against the primary gear. tomorrow, i will see about swapping out the change clutch bushing, and see if that solves the wobble ?. if not ?, this tells me the change clutch shaft is bent ?!.

• Like 2

Ya it could be a bad clutch basket, spun basket bushing/missing thrust washer, spun bushing on the kick start idle gear or something in that area that can be fixed without taking the motor out. I can't imagine it having a bent primary shaft, but stranger things have happened.

6 hours ago, retro said:

Ya it could be a bad clutch basket, spun basket bushing/missing thrust washer, spun bushing on the kick start idle gear or something in that area that can be fixed without taking the motor out. I can't imagine it having a bent primary shaft, but stranger things have happened.

i swapped out baskets last night, still had wobble. i checked the idle gear, and washers, all that looked ok too me ?. only thing i did not swap out was the change clutch bushing ?, i've got to look around my shop, and see if i have another bushing to compare too ?. worse comes to worse ?, i'll rip the motor out today/tonight, and go back through her..i dont like noises that should not be there !..lol.

• Like 2

just made a call to my bud, he's got a lower end in his bone yard, i will make my way out there today, yank it, bring it home for parts. then start the task of tearing into my motor, not gonna stand here and pray it will fix itself ?, just gonna rip it out, start all over. sucks..but must be done before i put this up for sale. while i tear mine down, i will look for anything wrong as i go ?, i hope i find something !!!, i don't mind the work ?, what i do mind is not finding something that sticks out at me in this case !!!. maybe i over looked something when i was putting it back together ?, maybe something got left out ?. it would not surprise me one bit !. i put tons of hours into this kinda work, and i tend to push my limit on hours on end. i will post any findings as i progress on this, right now, i can't live with myself knowing this motor is not correct !. flash back to that stupid '05 trx500fm all over again !..lol. hang tight outlaws, i'll get-r-done !.

• Like 6

just came in from the shop, taken a break for a bit. got two lower ends ripped apart, went through both of them, laid out all the great looking parts. later on i will start ripping my motor apart down to the lower end, then it will be easier to remove from the frame. get it up on my bench, and start tearing it all the way down.

• Like 4

found the problem !. change clutch shafts laying on the bench, top shaft, far left, washer, gear, then shaft. bottom shaft: washer, gear, ANOTHER washer !, then shaft. you can see the marks on the one gear where the lower gear dogs were smacking it. i knew i heard metal to metal clanking ( slight ) when riding it !. well, there you have it mystery solved !. i'm tired, pull 2 lower ends today, ripped them apart, ripped my motor all the way down and out i'm beat. gonna close my shop down, grab me some vittles, call it a day. from now on ?..I WILL TRIPLE CHECK ALL WASHERS !!!.LOL.

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

• Like 4

some more tear down pics, parts laying all over the shop !..lol.

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

• Like 3

Glad you found the problem, wonder if it even had the washer when you tore it down originally??

9 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Glad you found the problem, wonder if it even had the washer when you tore it down originally??

i doubt it, i never pull the gears off the tranny shafts when i pull them from the case, i keep them all together.

10 minutes ago, bcsman said:

I told Shade pretty much the same thing " might have been rebuilt before  by P.O. and they might not have  put it back in " -------  but after sitting here sipping coffee thinking about it and looking at the pics again , the scrape marks on the gear would have been a lot more than what they are ,  if it had been run for a long period of time  , so hmmmmm ...

I know that has to be a load off his mind  and lucky no expenses on parts  

Ok call me ignorant, was it missing a washer? Had one too many? What is the deal? don't understand what was happening.

It was missing a washer so the fifth gear (outer) was slightly trying to engage with the third gear.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

OK Thanks toodeep that makes sense now.👍

toodeep is CORRECT !!, the washer was left off at one point when this motor was taken down. it was not from my work, as i said..i never take the tranny all apart ?, BUT I WILL DEFF START CHECKING TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE ALL WASHERS ON THEM !..LOL.

Sucks that you had to tear it all the way down to find it, but at least it was something simple to fix, and now you'll have an extra bottom end ready to go, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Sucks that you had to tear it all the way down to find it, but at least it was something simple to fix, and now you'll have an extra bottom end ready to go, right?

haha...as i said..this is a flash back from that stupid '05 trx500fm !!..lol. yes..it sucks..and yes..i do have plenty of parts to put another lower engine back together, i may just do that once i get this all back together ?. right now, i've got to get the motor back in the frame, and start putting the top end back on the lower engine.

• Like 1

update: ok outlaws, i just came in to take a break ( leg is killing me ! ) as you can see from all these pics, i went through everything as i put the lower engine back together, here's some pic's for all you pic perv's !.

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG