rcappie

New member.

Hi guy’s, new member here from La Porte In. I’m trying to put a 2001 rubicon back on the road.

I’m sure I’ll be asking a lot of questions TIA Rcappie 

Alright guys, I have my engine torn apart. Oil pump failure was the problem.Got a hold of another 

Hondamatic. Does anyone know what a good one sounds like or how to check? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

22 minutes ago, rcappie said:

Alright guys, I have my engine torn apart. Oil pump failure was the problem.Got a hold of another 

Hondamatic. Does anyone know what a good one sounds like or how to check? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm in the middle of my first Hondamatic engine tear down as described here.

The Hondamatic in this one turns smoothly with no grinding or roughness, and when I asked @Brian Bertram he told me to leave it alone.  That is, of course, after finding the oil pump chain off when I tore into the engine.

The early Rubicon oil pumps were a bad design, and killed quite a few Hondamatics, and kinda gave the Rubicons a bad reputation.  I stayed away from them for years, but after watching my friends sink and abuse theirs for years with no ill effects, I took the plunge.

Brian does rebuild Hondamatics.  I would reach out to him and see what he says.  Your old Hondamatic might be rebuildable (gotta have spares!), and he should be able to advise on what to look for on your new one as well.

He hasn't logged in for awhile, but he did post his email in this thread, so I would reach out to him via email.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1