Bossdaddy

Baffle Rattling In Muffler

Hey Guys, I've got a Honda 2003 Foreman 450 ES that has the muffler baffle that rattles sometimes and sometimes it don't. Is there anything I can do to stop the rattle or just live with it. I know there is a lot of experience out there so maybe someone has a trick that has worked for them. 

baffle rusted loose could cut it open take it out re weld it and then hope it dont break or buy a new one or just take a car muffler and weld to it seen a 350 with a dodge ram muffler spaced and welded on it

P.S. and if you cant weld (like me) you can use high heat JB weld 

Edited by Harleydavidson
  • Like 1

I think there's a post in here...... About cutting one open removing the loose part..... And then welling the opening back up.... IT MIGHT have been shade, but i doubt it

pretty sure it was shade or fish ive taken a few broke baffles out it usually got a few tac welds then jb weld didn't trust it holding 

Yeah.... I think your right..... It sure beats paying for a brand new one, i hate the sprk arrestor on the 300 .... Because right at the end where that clean out port is.... Well when they 1st came  out it was a two bolt metal strap cover, and of corse those bolts were / are bad about twisting off, then they went to a single brass plug...... (Both of mine have brass) while the 86 trx350 has the 2 bolt metal strap, but they always seem to rust right at a--end , so when i use mine, I'll try and get the exhaust hot from front to back .... To run that short run  moisture  out, and I've purged mine best as can, but you won't get all that carbon build out. 

Thanks guys, my problem is knowing where to cut it to get to the baffle. I can TIG weld the baffle back if I can get to it and then TIG weld the cut back up. I'll look for the other post.

• Like 1

Should be some factory wells he could go by to reference where to cut least both of mine have them, but I'm not sure what side of the factory weld would be where to cut  ?? I looked for the post, no luck yet. 

Thanks THH, I may have to go with it, at least I know where to start. Thanks all for the input. It may be a few weeks before I start this project but I will let you know how it went.

• Like 2

Yea ive done it to a 400ESP. Might not look as smooth after, but works the same.

On 10/26/2022 at 4:11 PM, THH said:

that is how i cut them open..but i did not go through the long process of what this guy did, i just dumped the bad crap out, rewelded the end back on. i cut at the very end...on the inside of the weld just like he did with the cut-off wheel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bossdaddy said:

Shadetree, thanks for the info.

np, yw :-).

Here is what I found when I cut the end off of the muffler. I'll never get all that crap welded back in place. I wonder how loud it will be if I just dumped it out clean and welded the end back on?

IMG_2951.jpgIMG_2950.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah right there where that purge port  plug is..... That's most likely where it started..... I can't advise on how loud.... And I'm purdy sure  @Fishfiles has ran some other types of mufflers.....I'd check with him, and i believe @Wheeler300 exhaust is part stainless.

I’ve never cut one apart tbh. But yes mine is stainless, & if ur fix doesn’t work (I’m sure it will) u can pic up pretty much any muffler u want & modify it to work..

1 hour ago, PROV said:

It will be VERY loud!

no...no it wont. i've welded the end back on mufflers in the past, its not that much louder than all stock.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Here is what I found when I cut the end off of the muffler. I'll never get all that crap welded back in place. I wonder how loud it will be if I just dumped it out clean and welded the end back on?

IMG_2951.jpgIMG_2950.jpg

dump it, weld it back on...run it !, you will be fine, it will not be that much louder. the only reason they cram that junk inside there . its to slow down the sparks, thats about it. yes..it does make them quite, but not much to the human ear. i've done it, and its not that much difference !!. dump it, weld it back up, run it !. 

• Like 3