BlueJay

Carb heater purpose?

I am getting the Barn Find Rancher 350 (2000) ready to crank with the new solenoid and I noticed that the Carb Heater was wrapped to the frame by the PO. I live in SC where we wear shorts & a t-shirt on Christmas day. Does this part have a purpose in our climate? What is its true function? It is easy to put back in but I was just wondering. Thanks 

From your short pants at Christmas comment ,  I would say ,  you don't need that carb heater >>>>   now if you nickname was Nanook and you live in the Great White North , I'd say fix it right -------

from what I have read , the purpose is to keep the fuel from freezing up ------- some models have a sensor to send power to the carb  heater at a certain temp , that temp sensor  gizmo looks like a coin in a zip lock pouch ( on my 450 it is in front the cooler/fan ) ------   some models never had a sensor and have  power all the time if the key was on  ---

I think I would take it off from hanging on the frame and tape up the wires , just to be safe 

• Like 3

Yea keeps the carb from icing up, i imagine they may have just put it on all machines to save assembly costs. Unless its a machine that was originally sold way up north 😅

• Like 3

Oh i should ad, buddy i met once said when you leave the key on for a few seconds before cranking (when engine is cold) it started easier/faster.

• Like 3

carb heaters on 2000s 350s are useless like to short out and keep blowing fuses and then the quad wont even start was told the heater on my 350 has been unplugged and shorted out since 2004 (2001 model)

• Like 3

I'm with the fellas..... If the bike starts fine during colder weather, I'd do away with it...... And with today's ethanol fuel (if that's what you use) there less to no chance of it freezing, keep in mind (just my opinion) that's the only plus side to running ethanol fuel...... Even if you run eth free, I'm still with the fellas... About that heater. 

• Like 2

My thinking exactly. Should I just unplug it and throw in the PLO box or is it part of the circuit that would cause problems if not there?

Thanks. 

Yes, just toss it in the box and forget about it. I'm not sure at what temps these guys are riding in but there is no way in he!! I'm riding in weather cold enough to freeze gasoline. I usually draw the line once it's cold enough to freeze the beer, but I have been on a few of those rides. The old 300 with no carb heater didn't care at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think the only time I've ever heard about gas freezing here where i am, is back when gas was gas.... And the vehicle that i was on, was buss 16 of the muary county school system..... And us kids didnt complain one bit waiting in a cold ! buss pulled off the edge of the highway.... Waiting to get out of school that day.... Lol! Had to be that long gas supply line from the tank to the carb.