F250 guy

Honda 300 tank liner?

I'm gonna drain my tank and take it to be sealed up, I'd like to know form you guys is has anybody found out what the liner is, cause I'm going to put Red Kote in to seal my tank. I try to drain fuel if it's not being used, but life got in the way for 6 months no matter what I did I couldn't find time to stabilize my current fuel 87 octane speedway gas. My question is will the liner interfear with Red Kote? 

Edited by F250 guy

I have never used or been around redcote. If all you have is surface rust I would just clean it good depending on how bad it is. Eventually all sealers break down over time so if you can hold off,  I would. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I have never used or been around redcote. If all you have is surface rust I would just clean it good depending on how bad it is. Eventually all sealers break down over time so if you can hold off,  I would. 

I'll look at the tank again it's not that bad, I wanna do proactive maintenance. Thanks man. But I found a partial list of stuff it's resistant to.  A partial list of additives that Red-Kote is resistant to includes ethyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, toluene, methyl tertiary butyl ether, isopropyl alcohol and tetraethyl lead.

i wanna get it coated because mine mostly sits, I will contact Sunoco to see if optima will be affected by Red Kote and vise versa. But I'll consider holding off. 

Edited by F250 guy

We used redcote in a tank me and a buddy. It worked ok. We cleaned the rust off with fish tank gravel in the tank. Wrapping it in blankets and threw it into an old maytag dryer. Lucky for me i have access to many old dryers and we had one we didnt care about. We ran it for like 2 hours. It destroyed the dryer. Pieces were rattling out the whole time lol. It cleaned up real good though. The redcote kinda just felt like a plastic liner when it was all said and done. Dont know much about how long it lasted. The quad was only around for a few years and he got tired of struggling to keep up. It was a 250x cant remeber the year right off hand. Maybe 87 or 88 something like that.

• Like 1

I done a few tank coatings myself  and they came out alright , Cream works but it is a nasty finish to me and I had a tank on a used bike I bought that the Cream was flaking off , most likely from PO not prepping it right -------- the red liner is nicer , I get the local radiator shop to do it , he charges $90 but it is well worth it , he can dip the tank in the cleaning tank   , all the paint comes off doing it this way , or he can do it with out taking the paint off the outside the tank , on a rusted one with lots of trash in it , he cuts a small window on the under side the tank , to get all the flakes out , then welds it back in afterwards , then neutralizes it and lines it with the red liner 

• Like 1

If Your tank DOES need lined with a coating ?     Red Kote is the way to go, been using it for years, NEVER had a problem, just follow the directions.    I use a bag of different sized nuts to shake around the inside of the tank for rust removal and a telescoping magnet makes for easy removal !   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldmxrider said:

If Your tank DOES need lined with a coating ?     Red Kote is the way to go, been using it for years, NEVER had a problem, just follow the directions.    I use a bag of different sized nuts to shake around the inside of the tank for rust removal and a telescoping magnet makes for easy removal !   

I gotta rent out a bore scope and look at it after draining this weekend, but I'll probably line it anyway cause over the years with the Ethanol in today's fuels since 2007. Corrosion ugh.

electrolysis :

drill a 1/2 hole in the plastic top of a paint cap , slide a 6 inch long piece of 1/2 inch all thread thru the hole with a nut on each side of the cap , fill the tank with  water and box of baking soda  mixed up good , stick the cap on so the all thread don't touch metal , hook the battery charge positive to the all thread and negative to the tank , turn the charger on 1-2 amps for  24-48 hours , amazing results , the rust will be on the all thread 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, retro said:

^^^ Truth ^^^ Its very easy too

Only thing I'd be concerned with is Sparks from fumes unless fish is saying vent it and dry it well before you do that. 

No sparks under electrolysis. Doesn't matter if there was either. Nothing that can ignite.

• Like 1

I use 2 gals of cleaning vinegar from Walmart and a pound of BBs. BBs roll around and have uniformity and density to help scrub the rust out. Afterward you want to use a rinse of water and hot tub pH Up to eliminate the flash rust that will form if you use plain water. Then dry with hair dryer.
i have my Dad’s old cement mixer under my deck; i wrap my tanks up so vinegar doesn’t get on the paint; wrap in bubble wrap and cardboard. Run my mixer for three hours.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1