SilentBob

What is this part?

I'm sure someone here knows what this is but I can't figure it out. It looks like something plugs into it, located just above the oil dipstick. This is a 00 Trx400fw.

Thanks!

IMG-4664.jpg

IMG-4663.jpg

36 minutes ago, SilentBob said:

I'm sure someone here knows what this is but I can't figure it out. It looks like something plugs into it, located just above the oil dipstick. This is a 00 Trx400fw.

Thanks!

IMG-4664.jpg

IMG-4663.jpg

its where the speedo cable goes.

• Like 2

@SilentBob might have come up with a good thread topic , "   What is this part   "  ::

Looky here , found this weird gizmo at the flea market this weekend , didn't buy it ,  should I ?  I did a little research and it might be an antenna tuner 

uw5ONmuISy2VluYuIZGZnA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1066.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh , also the flea market had a couple of telegraph keys , those got sold quick , the gizmo above ^^^^ might have had something to do with that 

That coil has me stumped ......could be what you said ......(just spitballing) might check with @56Sierra @Derf40 or someone else.... Cause, I'd like to know as well. 

And i very much like the thread idea!! .... And i would use it (more then likely) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

That coil has me stumped ......could be what you said ......(just spitballing) might check with @56Sierra @Derf40 or someone else.... Cause, I'd like to know as well. 

And i very much like the thread idea!! .... And i would use it (more then likely) 

Looks like an adjustable resistor but it has to be in fractions of an ohm if copper.  If nichrome wire it would be a bit more.  Also wonder if a bunch of current was shoved through it you could induction heat with it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

Looks like an adjustable resistor but it has to be in fractions of an ohm if copper.  If nichrome wire it would be a bit more.  Also wonder if a bunch of current was shoved through it you could induction heat with it.

I took a magnified image..... And your right, it does look kinda like heat has left it's mark.... See where the bracket looks slightly melted ? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like clear plastic spaced every 90* around the circumference so it isn't meant to get hot.  Maybe a loading coil for an antenna?  I did a Google reverse image seach and found nothing even close.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

Looks like clear plastic spaced every 90* around the circumference so it isn't meant to get hot.  Maybe a loading coil for an antenna?  I did a Google reverse image seach and found nothing even close.

Don't know if you caught me saying , there were two morse code telegraph keys in the lot , not sure if they even went together , doubt it as they looked very different era , there was also a dozen different meters , ohms , voltage , etc 

Like you said , I did one of them Google Lens searches and seen some similar but nothing exact  ----

I think it is a tuner for some kind of antenna for HAM radio , I sent the pic to my buddy that is into HAM 

Check this gizmo out that I found while looking for the other gizmo , have no clue what it does 

Gave me an idea , make some kind of space age light out of it 

image.png

That was quick ,  my buddy just texted me back , he says it is part that goes inside of a  tuner for a HAM transmitter , usually he buys anything I find for HAM radios and sells it at the radio meets , but he didn't want this piece , LOL 

E-Bay

VINTAGE Air Inductor Coil Unit 51C706 From Ham Radio Estate

Price:
US $79.50

image.png

• Like 4

Oh i gotta a light for yeah...... Lol!! but .....  who's doing the "whats this part thread" ?? Or is this thread going to be it ?? I'm reminded of that light you built..... I think someone commented if you were  on the moon and flipped that bad boy on people on earth would have NO PROBLEM seeing it on the surface of the moon........

I think this thread should be it, it has the right name , " What is this part " and it is already started 

That light is one million watts , it was my light , member from the old site  , Toomuch , built the control box for me 

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Don't know if you caught me saying , there were two morse code telegraph keys in the lot , not sure if they even went together , doubt it as they looked very different era , there was also a dozen different meters , ohms , voltage , etc 

Like you said , I did one of them Google Lens searches and seen some similar but nothing exact  ----

I think it is a tuner for some kind of antenna for HAM radio , I sent the pic to my buddy that is into HAM 

Check this gizmo out that I found while looking for the other gizmo , have no clue what it does 

Gave me an idea , make some kind of space age light out of it 

image.png

I saw that too and thought how cool it would be to have that as a porch light...Until I got the electric bill.

• Like 2

This is not a whats this part, but light has been one of the subjects......but this (i think) is on the impressive side.....i would like to see what @Z7What thinks.... Fish you recall his head light mod ? I was verY impressed .... Might even try and locate it in the old forums, anyways ....Check this... 

Got another one coming a hand held torch that is totally bad !!!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

This is not a whats this part, but light has been one of the subjects......but this (i think) is on the impressive side.....i would like to see what @Z7What thinks.... Fish you recall his head light mod ? I was verY impressed .... Might even try and locate it in the old forums, anyways ....Check this... 

Got another one coming a hand held torch that is totally bad !!!

Wonder how many UFO reports you could generate with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Uh huh ........ I was thinking the same when i saw the video...... Hmmm..... Might explain the other videos  titled FAA is cracking down...... Don't you have some experience in aviation ?? Seems i recall some really nice model planes in the hobby thread... 

• Like 1

That dern light was something else eh? Could you imagine building a small outfit led system low draw for an atv ?? Talk about seeing at night..... But you couldn't ride behind anyone without dimming that system some how.... I'll admit I'd like to see someone build and mount that on a honda bike just so we could an idea ..... I bet if retro had time, he could build one Purdy dern quick... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Uh huh ........ I was thinking the same when i saw the video...... Hmmm..... Might explain the other videos  titled FAA is cracking down...... Don't you have some experience in aviation ?? Seems i recall some really nice model planes in the hobby thread... 

Yeah, cracking down they are.  Too many drones getting in the way of aircraft.  At least that's what the excuse is.  Might also have a little to do with companies like Amazon and Walmart wanting clear airspace to fly their delivery drones.  Right now anything under 8oz doesn't require a license but flying any drone or RC plane still requires common sense.  Putting cameras on drones is when everything went sideways.   People wanting YouTube hits.  Us old RC plane pilots had to learn to control our planes to keep from crashing.  Today's drones do all the hard stuff for you so anyone can do it with little to no training.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see that informative post ^^^ and this reminded me of a question dealing with aviation ..... I've noticed over the years..... I don't hear passenger jets or see vapor the trails or even them flying at a lower altitude like they used to, now this might be because of the tragedy of 9/11.... Or could it be because of the much more crowded air space OR drones, or a combo of all 3 plus more im not familure with..... I had thought about getting a Purdy good size drone .....Equip with a camra (with night vision)  for checking my land for ttrespassing hunters,.... Scoping out blow down trees, checking Dennis's cattle .... Etc etc (when I'm too busy here at my home ).... I think it would be time saving to an extent ..... But sure thing would happen.... The law would be called or a UFO siting phoned in .....lol! ... Which would bring unwanted attention my way.... But na..... I'll just do it old school,..... That's a proven way to do what i need or want to do .....i think I'll just take that cash stick it in a mason jar and burry it in the yard with the rest of them...... Haha! (Yeah i wish) ......... Sigh.......

Edited by _Wilson_™

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'm glad to see that informative post ^^^ and this reminded me of a question dealing with aviation ..... I've noticed over the years..... I don't hear passenger jets or see vapor the trails or even them flying at a lower altitude like they used to, now this might be because of the tragedy of 9/11.... Or could it be because of the much more crowded air space OR drones, or a combo of all 3 plus more im not familure with..... I had thought about getting a Purdy good size drone .....Equip with a camra (with night vision)  for checking my land for ttrespassing hunters,.... Scoping out blow down trees, checking Dennis's cattle .... Etc etc (when I'm too busy here at my home ).... I think it would be time saving to an extent ..... But sure thing would happen.... The law would be called or a UFO siting phoned in .....lol! ... Which would bring unwanted attention my way.... But na..... I'll just do it old school,..... That's a proven way to do what i need or want to do .....i think I'll just take that cash stick it in a mason jar and burry it in the yard with the rest of them...... Haha! (Yeah i wish) ......... Sigh.......

Drones can be great tools.  On the RR the car department bought one to fly over empty coal train to make sure that the cars were really empty instead of having some coal hung up inside the hopper cars.  Much better than having a man climb up and down the side of each car to look.  I know some farmers that use them to do an inspection of their crops.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

One reason we aren't seeing as many contrails is the type of jet engines used today.  Almost all jets use high bypass turbofan engines instead of the older pure turbojets.  The turbofans use a much larger diameter compressor fan in the front of the engine where much of that compressed air bypasses the core of the engine where combustion occurs.  The resulting jet exhaust is much cooler and contains less moisture.   I just watched a jet leaving a contrail headed towards @Fishfiles so they are still out there when the conditions are right.  As for altitude the rule of thumb is the higher the better for fuel economy and it's not uncommon for newer jets to be at 40,000 feet and above.  The noise of the high bypass turbofan engines is more of a growl than the blast you hear when a military fighter flys over.

• Like 2