Hammer Anvil

2014 Honda 420 fa2

This has got to be the dumbest question ever for you guys. My Honda has the DCT transmission( wet clutch) . My manual says warm the engine let sit for a few minutes unscrew the dipstick wipe off dont thread back in and check. It always shows empty. Just changed the oil at around 3.8 qts and I know it has oil in it.

I let is sit over night and it shows ok. I understand it takes a while for the transmission and engine to drain but this is crazy.

It it is warmed up and I let it sit and open the fill cap it is full and the stick on the other side shows empty.

What is the magic secret to the  honda 420 with the DCT on checking the oil.

Thank!!!!

Manual is correct.  Start it, let idle for a couple of mins, the shut off, let sit for a minute or two, then check it.

It is weird.  Kinda sucks lol

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Manual is correct.  Start it, let idle for a couple of mins, the shut off, let sit for a minute or two, then check it.

It is weird.  Kinda sucks lol

Lol I do exactly that and shows no oil on the stick. let sit for a couple hours and got oil. Doing what the maual says I would keep adding oil.....

You have a semi dry sump motor and that is why there is a process to checking the oil. You see it on the fill side because there is a shelf there that overflows into the motor. It probably won't take too much to show on the dipstick to get it to full and every time you change the oil it will take a different amount depending on how good it drains.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toodeep said:

You have a semi dry sump motor and that is why there is a process to checking the oil. You see it on the fill side because there is a shelf there that overflows into the motor. It probably won't take too much to show on the dipstick to get it to full and every time you change the oil it will take a different amount depending on how good it drains.

6 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

I would add oil. If its supposed to be warmed up then thats what i'd go by.

I will warm it up and then add oil and let sit for a few minutes and check it. Of course when cold it shows plenty of oil. Thank you guys.

If I remember correctly the dual clutch model uses oil pressure in the dual clutch system. Perhaps the oil in the system drains down in the sump giving a false high reading. Starting it first and checking it after shut down may be the actual running level after priming the oil in the shifter?

• Like 2