RubiDan

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

The Edmund Fitzgerald sank on Nov. 10, 1975.  None of the 29 people on board lived.  Gordon Lightfoot sang a song about the tragic incident and is at the bottom of the page.  If you haven't ever heard the song you should consider listening to it now.

Hal Turner Radio Show - 47 Years Ago today: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

• Like 3

When the song came out I didn't even know that it was about an actual shipwreck.  I was 21 with my first child on the way and I was very busy trying to make a living for my wife, my soon to be son and myself.  It is absolutely unreal how things have changed since then.   

• Like 2

That was a sad day for sure. Excellent song as to remember them all by..

• Like 2

They found a big chunk of space shuttle wreckage this week , it was located by the guys that where looking for flight 19 that went missing  in the triangle , they alerted NASA and this was the first piece discovered in 25 years 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

They found a big chunk of space shuttle wreckage this week , it was located by the guys that where looking for flight 19 that went missing  in the triangle , they alerted NASA and this was the first piece discovered in 25 years 

I just read about that.  Guess NASA wasn't all that interested in picking up all the pieces of the Shuttle.   A chunk that size shouldn't be hard to find when the taxpayers are footing the bill.

The Edmund Fitzgerald has long been of interest to me and I try to watch or read everything I see on it.  There was a series on I think Smithsonian channel about shipwrecks.   Modern wrecks.  You'd think those wouldn't happen that often but there's still companies that defer maintenance allowing unsafe cargo ships to enter storms.  Stupid and completely avoidable most are.  Still there are some that get in between the perfect set of waves and break the backs.  Stuff they were never designed to do.  That was one of the theories with the Edmund Fitzgerald.   That and hatches not fully sealed.

• Like 1