quake

2002 Honda trx 350Rancher Es 4x4 shifting issue.

Recently my 4 wheeler got stuck in second gear wouldn't come out of gear even when i put the manual foot shifter tool on it.

I tore the front case off and found a wore spot on my clutch lever and a broken

ARM, SUB-GEARSHIFT SPINDLE 24670-HN5-670 replaced those part's put the case back together greased the gears up in the shift motor

and put the battery back in.

Show's it's in neutral on the digital screen no flashing on the screen to indicate there are any error codes. I hit the up and down button's on the handlebar and

and nothing happens, I took my shift motor out to make sure it's working hooked it up to my battery with jumper wires and the motor spin's fine.

I put it in first gear manually to make sure it shifted and turned the key on it showed it was in first with no blinking codes on the screen.

I'm not convinced it's an electrical issue as it's been all mechanical so far but i'm no mechanic either. How do you do a continuity test of the angle sensor

and the up and down push button's on the handlebar not convinced it has a break in them and don't want to throw ton's of money at it just guessing what's wrong.

Hoping it's not the Tranny or ECM

Could i start the 4 wheeler with it in gear by putting a jumper to the starter solenoid negative wire and to the negative terminal of the battery i seen this done on youtube.

Are there any issues of starting a 4 wheeler that's in gear ????

Wanting to see if i can manually shift gears to tell me if it's an electrical issue or tranny issue.

If it was a tranny issue it wouldn't even go in gear right ????
Didn't have allot of time to check thing's out, it's like 20 degrees outside.

No issues at all starting in gear. In fact, I’ve modded my kid’s 350 to do so. 

You should be able to shift up and down using the emergency shifter. You might have to rock the machine back-and-forth while trying to shift. Then you can determine whether you have a mechanical issue or an electrical issue

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

No issues at all starting in gear. In fact, I’ve modded my kid’s 350 to do so. 

Thank's for the reply.

You should be able to shift up and down using the emergency shifter. You might have to rock the machine back-and-forth while trying to shift. Then you can determine whether you have a mechanical issue or an electrical issue

Manually shift it through all the gears making sure the tool your using tries to return itself after the shift. Once we know for sure that it shifts through the gears fine (even back to neutral to start it) then we can chase down the electrical issue. Double check and make sure you didn't leave anything unplugged when reassembling it.

43 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Manually shift it through all the gears making sure the tool your using tries to return itself after the shift. Once we know for sure that it shifts through the gears fine (even back to neutral to start it) then we can chase down the electrical issue. Double check and make sure you didn't leave anything unplugged when reassembling it.

Will do. Tested my battery with my multimeter was showing 12.8  and 12.9 volts

Edited by quake
added response

Well took apart the shift button control on the handlebar to make sure no dirt or water was in there and kept hitting the up and down buttons

cleaned it up put back together got my battery out and hit the shift buttons and it was working. Started the bike up and rode around in the fields

it shifted through all the gears and down shifted fine. Going to adjust the clutch as i put on a used front cover as the other was cracked.

Just having a idle issue now.

So i'm not sure what fixed it as i switched out the used shift motor that i had put on back to the original one that was on it. They both spun

the shift motor with 12 volt's applied, it's running and shifting fine now. I'll eventually put that other shift motor on to recheck to see if that

was the problem as the handlebar switches wouldn't work when it was hooked up.

Now i can get my gear together for that hunt i planned.

I appreciate the help i got here. Thank's