usofthedog

Howdy all, new guy from AK, AKATV sent me.

Hello,

I'm in Nome, AK.  I got a 1986 trx350 a few years back, It has been a constant battle fixing everything that breaks down on it, but I kinda like it in a way.  Just wish it didn't pick the first snowstorm this year to take a crap on me. I don't have a garage, so yeah, frozen fingers, dropping parts in the snow, all part of the fun here!   

So, after strapping on the plow, after the first push, she dies on me, no big deal, its cold, just need to adjust the throttle cable a bit, but upon trying to start it, I hear a god awful grinding,  sound, thought I'd grenaded the transmission, but after searching that other site, I found some great info from Shadetree and that it might be the starter bearing.  Sure enough when I cracked open the case the bearings little spring wire had snapped.  I also found out my driveshaft bearings and seals were completely gone.  There was also a bit of gouging on the stator, I'm hoping it will be ok.

I've got the left side crankcase gasket, one way starter bearing, and driveshaft ordered on Ebay. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what else to look for in there while I have it cracked open?  When I pulled the left case the shifter shaft came with it, and from what I understand I may have to pull the right side now to fix what may have came off the shaft?   Anyone know what that may be?   I didn't hear anything obviously fall from the other side and I slid the shaft back in without issue.  Is it possible I got lucky and won't have to crack open the right side?  If I do end up pulling the right side, what should I look for there to repair while I'm in there?

Too much info for an introduction?   

Thanks!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of help here for you and the Foreman 350 wizards should answer right back

Download the Service manual from the library as well if you need it

See you around!

Good morning Usofthedog, Welcome to ATVH @shadetree (as stated above ^^^^) the expert should be along shortly.....you and i have the same model (my sig) their are  a number of fellas here who have those ol tanks that also might chime in goober is another and  IMO those ol girls are one of the best, n toughest utilty atvs ever built..... Your in good hands here. 

Welcome to the forum. The shift arm on the right side stays in place when the shaft is pulled out so you don't have to worry about that. I would ohm test the three yellow wires on the stator to make sure one of the gouges didn't do some damage. You will have continuity between all 3 wires themselves and none to ground, or with the cover off where the stator bolts onto the side cover.

• Like 1

Awesome!, thanks toodeep.  it's a relief knowing I won't have to crack open the right side!  I'll check that stator tonight after work.