Scottfarkus

Is this the neutral safety switch?

Hi Folks, I'm troubleshooting a "no power to the ignition switch" condition in an old 1986 Fourtrax 125 and found that, according to the SM, my neutral switch has continuity in both the ignition on and off positions. Manual does not show where the NS switch is. At least I can't tell from any of the diagrams. Is it behind this plate on the picture below? Anyone know?  The wire leading there is the gray wire from the wire connectors nearby. which I find odd.

Neutral switch.jpg

The Grey wire goes to the Reverse switch. The neutral switch should be Light Green with a Red stripe and plugs into the main harness under the seat, alongside the Reverse switch.

This is the neutral switch test procedure:

neutral-sw-test.png

The location of the neutral switch is a mystery however.... I am not familiar with the TRX125 but the manual shows an approximate location near (or behind?) where the stator/alternator wires come out of the case:

neutral-sw.png

Section 10 page 2 where the neutral switch test directs you for instruction on how to replace the neutral switch doesn't reference that switch at all, so the manual is in error:

page-10-2.png

I can't find the neutral switch in Partzilla's part diagrams either but I'm probably looking at the wrong sections. Those are linked here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1986/trx125-a-fourtrax-125

Here is the wiring diagram for reference:

wiring-after-85.png

• Like 1

I think the neutral switch is internal on these. On the top side of the sub transmission area there should be a single wire coming out of the case that is the neutral wire. They will ohm to ground when in neutral to trigger the light, power comes from the ignition. I can't get specific since I never did work on a lot of these little machines and when I did, it was a long time ago.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the light green/red wire went into a rubber gasket into the tranny.  Since it led internally, I thought maybe the color was a mistake. I'll probably just bypass that switch at this point. Thanks for the responses.