Wormy

TRX450ES Headlights

I have a TRX450ES that I am wanting to upgrade the headlights on.

I can find the led bulbs for the two smaller lights that switch from high and low but not the main light on the handlebar.

Does any one know where I can get a full (all three bulbs) set that will make my path a little brighter and not yellow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wormy, its my experience you will not make any friends with the led bulbs. Whether you meeting or following someone. I do have old eyes and have hard time seeing in good light,..lol.. just a word to the wise ( just have one set regular and the other led, best of both worlds and have many friends)...derf

Derfs right....i used  them at one time..... But my reason for going back with a higher wattage halogen for the 300 project bike, is because of transceiver radio interference they caused.... 

Your talking about the base ? (Contact points) ? It's a Stanley 45 watt.... I believe ? Least that's what  hondapartsnation shows....mill see what i can find out... 

I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about meeting people where I ride. If I do, they are not suppose to be there. I have no idea if they make the Honda specific base for the bulbs though so I'm no help there. Extreme snorkels use to have a kit that was plug and play but it was $$$$ back in the day. I opted to light bars since they are so cheap and if by chance I have to ride it down the road I can turn off the light bar (which you might as well just pull over and stop because the stock candles might as well be off) if I meet a vehicle. 

I don’t do any trail riding. I use this 4wheeler for hunting and i would like it to be bright so I can see. Do you know how to search for that bulb in a led? I saw the same thing on partzilla Wilson but. I luck finding it in a led. 

Well this kinda got my eye, but these will not work in a 300..... And i don't like light bars.... I'm keeping mine close to stock  as i can especially the electrical system... . So i still wouldn't use led bulbs... But here you go ..... I'd read over the opinions in this video...... A bit pricy, but being you need one, you get a spare .... One comment is they draw more juice then stock bulbs..... That fact  should be considered...be sure to update us on your findings... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQLK6SH/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=swankycatprod-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07TQLK6SH&linkId=6ee7477da8b8cad46b1e81ef54f8ce82

From what I've seen, the LED bulbs will give you whiter light, but your OEM bulbs will actually cast more useable light.

I put HID's in my two 09 Foremans years ago.  They were bright as ! and worked great, but then you blow a ballast or two and you're in the dark (so not as reliable as OEM bulbs)

My compromise is to use OEM lowers and an HID in the pod light.  Yes, it bothers my OCD to have different colored lights, but that way I have a bright pointable light up top, and if it goes out, I can still creep my way home with the OEM lowers.

Top bulb on the 500's from 05-11 and Rubicons from 01-14 was an H10, and that's the same bulb used in the 450's.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/34901-HN2-000?ref=b4adc298cb37d7f09b3061c565f51880c04b6a22

• Like 1

I too would  change the lights to led pods and / or add a led bar and not waste money on bulbs ---- and if you ride in front of me at night , you better bring sunscreen , LOL 

• Haha 2

When I first put those HID's in my Foreman nobody wanted to ride in front of me.  They said it looked like an airliner was fixing to land on them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

From what I've seen, the LED bulbs will give you whiter light, but your OEM bulbs will actually cast more useable light.

I put HID's in my two 09 Foremans years ago.  They were bright as ! and worked great, but then you blow a ballast or two and you're in the dark (so not as reliable as OEM bulbs)

My compromise is to use OEM lowers and an HID in the pod light.  Yes, it bothers my OCD to have different colored lights, but that way I have a bright pointable light up top, and if it goes out, I can still creep my way home with the OEM lowers.

Top bulb on the 500's from 05-11 and Rubicons from 01-14 was an H10, and that's the same bulb used in the 450's.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/34901-HN2-000?ref=b4adc298cb37d7f09b3061c565f51880c04b6a22

That usable light issue is just one of several reasons i those gave away ....the ones i run now are 50 watt halogen bulbs..... And they are very bright.... They came with the front of the bulb coated....and i striped that off, now i have no issue with lighting things up for a long ways off....even been high beam flashed by other cars on the back roads because there so bright... And i usally just keep mine on low.... Didnt even need to adjust the angle... The ram spot light is a aircraft taxi light....lol! So i have no issue with lighting.. But! That stem mount ram light draws a lot of juice .... I've gotten calls from neighbor Dave, and dale.... Before asking why i had there places lit up like day light..... Hey fish do you recall the projector light system @Z7What Did ? I'd like see what he says, and done lately ..... 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

please note: not all 450's operate the same as far as the light switch goes to turn the lights on, and low/high beam work different as far as the lower lights, and pod light. '02-'04 all lights come on at once, in other words, you can not turn the lowers on, without the upper pod light on. '98-'01, it seems the lights work different, lowers work on low/high beam, and the upper pod light can be turned off and on from what i've discovered. please make sure you check this out before you go tossing light bulbs on it !.

shadetree, mine is a 99 and all of mine come on with one switch. Only variation that i have is to switch the lower lights (behind the front guard) from high to low.

14 minutes ago, Wormy said:

shadetree, mine is a 99 and all of mine come on with one switch. Only variation that i have is to switch the lower lights (behind the front guard) from high to low.

ok, it seems honda just made them do different things..lol. i leave mine all stock for the most part.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

please note: not all 450's operate the same as far as the light switch goes to turn the lights on, and low/high beam work different as far as the lower lights, and pod light. '02-'04 all lights come on at once, in other words, you can not turn the lowers on, without the upper pod light on. '98-'01, it seems the lights work different, lowers work on low/high beam, and the upper pod light can be turned off and on from what i've discovered. please make sure you check this out before you go tossing light bulbs on it !.

I cut the - wire going to the pod light bulb and wire in a rocker switch on all of mine with a pod light.  If you want to shut off the pod light to carry stuff on the front rack you can then do so.  With the pod light on, if you try to put anything on the front rack the glare will blind you.

Simple $1 fix.

That is a great idea, I borrowed a set of gun racks from a buddy and immediately took it off cause of that very reason! Do you know what wire it is going to the pod light?

spacer.pngUsually green.  On Hondas ground is almost always green.

Pics from the old board.

When I did one on an 01-04 Rubicon (same style headlight as 450) I put the switch on the side of the actual plastic headlight housing.  Much easier wiring it that way.

5BAE3599-7126-4E6B-8DC9-FAC04C894C7F.jpeg

BDABDE49-8850-4BD7-AFCB-82693120000A.jpeg

Gotcha, I figured that is what you did since you referenced the green ground but I wasn't sure. 

@jeepwm69 had some free time this weekend and did your suggestion and put a cut off on the pod light. I put it on the side of the pod housing like you suggested about. Much easier that running the wires back and up to the key console. Works great!

• Like 1