DeTaylor

01 Rancher Stuck in 3rd Gear

Hey Everyone, 

I'm looking at buying a project bike and have a question before I go in over my head. I can get the machine for $500 and its in good shape considering the year. 

It is an 01 Rancher 350 ES 2wd (5300 miles/530 hours) and is stuck in 3rd gear. The gear is not flashing on the display and the foot shifter does not do anything - frozen in place. My first thought is either shift plate or shift motor. Thoughts?  

Edited by DeTaylor

The 01-03 Rancher 350 does not flash the gear indicator for fault codes, only the 2004-2006 models do that

For 500 you cant really go wrong if the rest is in pretty good shape and it starts and runs well  (engine)

( I would still try offering less...  350? lol....you never know)

My thoughts are

-Shift "star" screw loose

-Shift gate crack

-shift drum rear end snapped off (fairly common)

If it is the shift drum, they make an upgraded drum, or you can get a used one on ebay

just make sure it had the the correct larger rear stub. All you have to do is knock out old bearing

where the original smaller shift drum end fit and insert the new one. Its larger/stronger and does not use a bearing, 

It just slides into and rides directly on the case)

Even if you do have to pull the engine out and tear it down, it really is not that hard

Plus you will be able to inspect, service and replace anything else and clean the cases out

It will be sure to last a long time after that as well

I always tear my project purchases down anyways, as you never really know if its been sunk or not...

Hope you get it and its an easy fix-

Looking forward to hearing more

AKATV

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, AKATV said:

The 01-03 Rancher 350 does not flash the gear indicator for fault codes, only the 2004-2006 models do that

For 500 you cant really go wrong if the rest is in pretty good shape and it starts and runs well  (engine)

( I would still try offering less...  350? lol....you never know)

My thoughts are

-Shift "star" screw loose

-Shift gate crack

-shift drum rear end snapped off (fairly common)

If it is the shift drum, they make an upgraded drum, or you can get a used one on ebay

just make sure it had the the correct larger rear stub. All you have to do is knock out old bearing

where the original smaller shift drum end fit and insert the new one. Its larger/stronger and does not use a bearing, 

It just slides into and rides directly on the case)

Even if you do have to pull the engine out and tear it down, it really is not that hard

Plus you will be able to inspect, service and replace anything else and clean the cases out

It will be sure to last a long time after that as well

I always tear my project purchases down anyways, as you never really know if its been sunk or not...

Hope you get it and its an easy fix-

Looking forward to hearing more

AKATV

That seals the deal for me! Now just have to find a place to work on it this winter lol garage is already full. 

Most likely the shift plate on the front is busted.

Unbolt front diff and slide it forward so you can remove the front driveshaft.  Then stand up on rear rack (turn gas petcock off first), unbolt fan and swing it out of the way, unbolt front cover, and see what you find.

My guess will be something similar to what I found in this 500.  Local guy had a 350 stuck in a gear a couple of weeks ago and it was a broken shift plate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

Most likely the shift plate on the front is busted.

Unbolt front diff and slide it forward so you can remove the front driveshaft.  Then stand up on rear rack (turn gas petcock off first), unbolt fan and swing it out of the way, unbolt front cover, and see what you find.

My guess will be something similar to what I found in this 500.  Local guy had a 350 stuck in a gear a couple of weeks ago and it was a broken shift plate.

It is a 2WD, so shouldnt have to pull anything except the fan and cover. Thanks for the input and resource! I'll give it a read tonight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeTaylor said:

Any thoughts to get this thing on a trailer? Disconnect rear drive shaft if possible?

getting the rear drive shaft out is a lot of work, just man-handle it up on the trailer. got a come-along ?, block and tackle and some rope ?.unhook the trailer from your truck/car, block the wheels on trailer, tie a chain or rope to the front, drag it up on the trailer with your truck/car. there is always more than one way to skin a cat..lol.

Pick the back end up with the rack and manhandle it up on the trailer.

If it runs, get a running start in 3rd gear.  It will start off in 3rd, just won't have much grunt.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Guy sold it out from under me before I could get there this past weekend. 

• Sad 1

Seems people sell stuff to whoever they want vs who shows interest first like they used to. I had a line on some itp  wheels and tires. Drove 40 mins and got gas around the corner from the location. Just as I finished pumping gas the guy says "sold"... smh. Way of the world these days.

1 hour ago, Snow Camo said:

Seems people sell stuff to whoever they want vs who shows interest first like they used to. I had a line on some itp  wheels and tires. Drove 40 mins and got gas around the corner from the location. Just as I finished pumping gas the guy says "sold"... smh. Way of the world these days.

The bad apples ruined it for everyone. When I sold stuff I got tired of the no shows that said they would take it (waste a day waiting on someone) or the ones that show just to complain about everything I told them about the stuff. I got to the point of very seldom selling anything and what I do, it's first come first serve. I do make a few exceptions for long distance buyers only if there is really good phone conversations so I know they are committed and on the road to come get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toodeep said:

The bad apples ruined it for everyone. When I sold stuff I got tired of the no shows that said they would take it (waste a day waiting on someone) or the ones that show just to complain about everything I told them about the stuff. I got to the point of very seldom selling anything and what I do, it's first come first serve. I do make a few exceptions for long distance buyers only if there is really good phone conversations so I know they are committed and on the road to come get it.

Agreed I still sell stuff every now and then. I find myself sorting through the watsapp and scam crap. 

my golden rule is, its a first come..first served !. UNLESS !!...like fish said ^^^..they are driving a long ways to make the purchase ?, other than this..first come..first served. i myself have driven many miles to make a purchase, i would hope and pray they hold to agreement ?..i thank my lucky stars to this day, not one of them have let me down. bottom line: its a 50/50 gamble in these times...you win...or you lose.

• Like 1