Orville538

Need help identifying piston size

Cometic is what i always run. Never had one leak or a headgasket issue out of one. Oem honda are fine also. As long as the head gasket is a mls(multi layer steel) one your good to go. There are alot of the ones that are a cardboard like material with a metal ring around the cylinder. Seen many of those fail!

19 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Cometic is what i always run. Never had one leak or a headgasket issue out of one. Oem honda are fine also. As long as the head gasket is a mls(multi layer steel) one your good to go. There are alot of the ones that are a cardboard like material with a metal ring around the cylinder. Seen many of those fail!

Ok I will go with that.... thank you again!!! Now this is the exhaust I bought today for $100 of someone from Marketplace ,now I need to get the valve spring kit and piston with rings and gaskets,and the Nerf bars too....

Screenshot_20200201-163645_Facebook.jpg

Hey guys,how's everyone doing!!!! Thank you all for the great help you've been,so I got majority of the parts,I'm just waiting for new oil filters and timing chain guides, the ones on the 300ex were done,so anyway I opened up to install a new clutch and look what I found!!!! Wow!!! Even a couple of o-rings too!!! Wtf!!!! But I'm going through everything, I just don't want to open this cases either...I already have to do the 700xx and I'm dreading it!!!! But I will share the build of the 300ex,I have everything, well mostly everything but the parts that are coming this  Monday  and Tuesday ..... see you soon!!!!

20200311_121135.jpg

20200311_121214.jpg

20200311_121405.jpg

20200311_121115.jpg

20200311_133442.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, gonna have to split that one too!

6 hours ago, retro said:

Yup, gonna have to split that one too!

Thats what I was afraid of!!! Not afraid of doing it, but Man another motor to go to surgery!!!! I'm just gonna try and flush the crap out of it!!!! I know it's not the correct way of doing it,yesterday I ended up putting in new Tie rods,new rear brake and rear master cylinder, new front brake lever with the master cylinder,new Blackdiamond intake & exhaust Valves,and I now I have to wait longer for the wiseco timing chain because the post office delivery lost it,so it was refunded, but I bought another one,so I still have to put together the Hotcams with new sprocket, and wait for the timing chain guides, oil filters, (bought a case of them) & timing chain that is all coming this coming week!!!!  Also waiting for my Piston from CP Carillo for my Yamaha Raptor660r,custom made piston,and  the last of the Ferrea Valves..... and I have to start on the 700xx soon also....I got my hands full!!!! But one at a time!!!! See you soon!!!! I may just open this cases too!!!! I don't like half ! work, My Dad said to me,"Son if you're going to do something, do it Right,or don't do it at all" "Let someone else do it" 🤔🥴🛵🔧🔩🛠🧰🗜

That is unreal ----  you got some serious damage inside that engine , you are never going to get all that crude out that engine by flushing it , and I think that is really the least of your problems , and you are not going to flush away the damage that crude has already done to the engine , and what damage it is going to do to it in the future if you don't open it up , clean it out and check everything out , I would guess the crankshaft , cam , rockers , are already messed up ----- any money and time you spend on that engine is a waste , if you are set on not splitting the case then ,  throw that engine away and find another one 

• Like 2

Yep i see 2 options. Split the cases. Or find a good bottom end somewhere. You are gunna find more problems with that bottom end for sure bud. I would 100% be changing the oil pump either way also. Just from experiance of having an oil pump fail on a 300ex while i was riding it when i was 16. That was actually the first atv engine i ever split. It wiped the topend out. Cam and rockers. And ruined the crank aswell. All in a matter of a few minutes ride. Gotta do it right the first time my man. 

On a side note. CP custom pistons take a month to see it. I know this from experiance aswell. Being that my custom stroker 440 is running one. And i had to have 2 made because of a mistake on hotrods part. Be sure and measure everything also. CP didnt do anything wrong for me. But trust no one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:36 AM, SlammedRanger said:

Yep i see 2 options. Split the cases. Or find a good bottom end somewhere. You are gunna find more problems with that bottom end for sure bud. I would 100% be changing the oil pump either way also. Just from experiance of having an oil pump fail on a 300ex while i was riding it when i was 16. That was actually the first atv engine i ever split. It wiped the topend out. Cam and rockers. And ruined the crank aswell. All in a matter of a few minutes ride. Gotta do it right the first time my man. 

On a side note. CP custom pistons take a month to see it. I know this from experiance aswell. Being that my custom stroker 440 is running one. And i had to have 2 made because of a mistake on hotrods part. Be sure and measure everything also. CP didnt do anything wrong for me. But trust no one!

Ok so I got the 300ex running,split cases,took out the entire dark piston ring in pieces and some shrapnel not much,now long story short,it crank right up!!!!! Now here it goes,but there's a little bit of a knock thats bothering me,I have a stage 1 hotcams, Blackdiamond kibblewhite valves, wiseco timing chain, now the hot cams came with card for valve lash,10mm intake and 15mm exhaust, my valve gauges say .015mm and .010mm another one says .0015,which one do I use,I mean I adjusted the valves with the .015 & .010 and it fired right up I even rode it lime I stole it for 30 minutes nonstop and did an oil change,and that's when I heard a little louder knocking, not as loud as before but not as it was at first that all I heard was a tick tick... any suggestions PLEASE!!!!  do I need to buy another set of gauges? Or what should I use .005 intake  and .007 exhaust?????   MAN THIS THING FIRED RIGHT UP NO ISSUES!!!!! I WAS SMILING!!!!!

I don't know the 300 ex setting , my 300 fourtrax I go  6 and 6 

• Thanks 1

I wanna say its .005 for both on a 300ex. My 400ex is .004 intake. .005 exhaust. Let me do alittle quick research.

Yours are set same as the 400ex. 

.004 intake

.005 exhaust

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

I wanna say its .005 for both on a 300ex. My 400ex is .004 intake. .005 exhaust. Let me do alittle quick research.

Yours are set same as the 400ex. 

.004 intake

.005 exhaust

Thank you very much both you guys,Fish & Slammed  I really do appreciate the help,I saw something similiar to this setting,the .004 In & .005 ex but I was a little skeptical about it.... but now you say the same so I guess I will do it either tomorrow after work..... Thank You!!!!!

• Like 2

My feelers give both inch and mm sizes on them. Looks like the conversation is jumping back and forth between the 2. If that card said .10mm that would be the .004 inch. Just making sure it's clear since I seen that .0015 thrown out there. 

20200317_214919.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, toodeep said:

My feelers give both inch and mm sizes on them. Looks like the conversation is jumping back and forth between the 2. If that card said .10mm that would be the .004 inch. Just making sure it's clear since I seen that .0015 thrown out there. 

20200317_214919.jpg

I have the same feelers as well, ok so if 10mm = .004" then .15mm =?  'ppreciate the help,thanks...

Quote Orville " I have the same feelers as well, ok so if 10mm = .004" then .15mm =?  'ppreciate the help,thanks..."

.15mm = 0.00590551 in

.15 would be .006, I would go with the .005 like mentioned above.

I have a really trick motion pro valve adjusting tool. Has .004 on one side and .005 on the other. Its also bent at the perfect angle to make life easy! And they are dirt cheap!

Screenshot_20200317-231309_eBay.jpg

not to toot my own horn here ?..but i sure get a kick outta seeing members fussing over feeler gauges !..lol. ( no Orville538, i do not use them ).

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

not to toot my own horn here ?..but i sure get a kick outta seeing members fussing over feeler gauges !..lol. ( no Orville538, i do not use them ).

Ok,good for you sir!!! I mean some people have the giving/blessing of knowing to do some stuff by feel or by eye.... but since I'm learning alot of this stuff I guess asking the people who have the knowledge would get me where I want to be,and there's alot of money invested in the atv....I don't want to be braking /bending  valves or hotcams,messing up my new wiseco piston, but hey Man I'm not being sarcastic or anything like that...but good for you.... I ask for help because I needed it.... and I appreciate anyone taking their time to help me out!!!! 

32 minutes ago, Orville538 said:

Ok,good for you sir!!! I mean some people have the giving/blessing of knowing to do some stuff by feel or by eye.... but since I'm learning alot of this stuff I guess asking the people who have the knowledge would get me where I want to be,and there's alot of money invested in the atv....I don't want to be braking /bending  valves or hotcams,messing up my new wiseco piston, but hey Man I'm not being sarcastic or anything like that...but good for you.... I ask for help because I needed it.... and I appreciate anyone taking their time to help me out!!!! 

it's all good, none takin, glad your doing it the way you feel thats best :-).

The machines I work on the tappet clearances can range from .002 to .013 inch. With auto decompression cams, shims and everything in today's motors I try to be pretty precise with the work I am charging for.

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

This may work for a utility quad not spinning alot of rpm and being used around the farm. But for anything else i would absolutely 100% be using feeler gauges.