Jpsbgt

Milky Oil In Winter

I have noticed that the oil in my TRX 350D turns milky looking during the winter use period. The temperatures range from below zero to the mid thirties in eastern Oregon from October to March-April. During that time when checked the oil level it’s never low but very milky looking. I know it’s the condensation causing this. What is the consensus ? I use the bike often, almost every day but not for very long time periods. Is the milkiness causing damage ?  

18 minutes ago, Jpsbgt said:

I have noticed that the oil in my TRX 350D turns milky looking during the winter use period. The temperatures range from below zero to the mid thirties in eastern Oregon from October to March-April. During that time when checked the oil level it’s never low but very milky looking. I know it’s the condensation causing this. What is the consensus ? I use the bike often, almost every day but not for very long time periods. Is the milkiness causing damage ?  

Certainly not ideal.  Short run times will exacerbate condensation problems in the crankcase though.  I'd run it longer.  Get a cooler, put some beer in there, and ride around for awhile.  Problem solved.👍

• Haha 1

When you said get a cooler I thought you where referring to a oil cooler for a moment ? Ever drink a beer in below zero temperatures ?

15 minutes ago, Jpsbgt said:

When you said get a cooler I thought you where referring to a oil cooler for a moment ? Ever drink a beer in below zero temperatures ?

LOL. 

Corrected.

Get a bottle of Bourbon or Scotch. 

Take a ride.

Oh, and get some heated grips!

1 hour ago, Jpsbgt said:

Ever drink a beer in below zero temperatures ?

I've done it once or twice but the cooler doesn't always keep them from freezing.

The short run times are the problem. Is it really milky looking or just a trace? In those old machines your probably not going to hurt a thing but it's still not the best practice. I would try to run it long enough so it has a chance to evaporate some of the moisture off. Even if it's only once a week, get it good and warm working it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jpsbgt said:

No , never drank a beer in sub-zero temperature , personally never been in  sub-zero  temperature ,  and don't ever plan to be , LOL 

• Haha 1