LoganLemx

So I bought a Sunk Outlander 450

So I purchased a sunk 2018 outlander 450 For $1500 (1900 after plates registration tax etc. I live in NY so tax is ridiculous) bought it from my local dealer that did not have time to do anything with it. The first and original owner and he traded up to a sxs. The story behind it i think, it was flipped in the water because there is damage on the reflectors in the back are broken and water was in the air box indicating that the intake was in the water the plastics also have stress marks. So the dealer put it on marketplace so I took a chance thinking that I might be able to make my money back if or when I sell it. So I picked her up, couldn't get it to crank at the dealer so when I got it home I took the plug out and put the jump starter on it cranked it over and it shot a ton of water oil and gas at my face. pulled the air box off to clean it because it was full of oil and water. It was annoying there are so many nooks and crannies in the air box. bought a new plug along with the expensive can am oil, got new filters. to start to get the water out the oil I flushed 3 rounds of diesel and cranked it over for a while on each. Then put 10w40 in her cranked it for a while (this is over a few days to let most water dry) popped the throttle body off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. checked the gas found barely any gas so I said send it and put 5 gallons in her threw the plug back in. and it started right up. I was honestly shocked it happened quick too. So I let it run for a few mins and drained the oil still milky did this at least 3 more times and it ran for a long time. This week some time Im going to change the oil for the final time check the magnet on the drain, and put the expensive can-am oil in. (I've had this ATV since October and just posted about it now) as of now it is running good except it bogs a small amount when I pin it to be expected though its only a 450. I raced my sportsman against it and the can am smoked it. I checked the clutch I think it needs a service it is ticking, the one way might be bad. 

Logan, 

MERRY CHRISTMAS

20221031_120802.jpg

• Like 2

Nice !!   You mentioned clutch ticking , did you pull the plug on the bottom of the belt box , maybe there was / is  water in there 

If you hear ticking in the belt box that may be the drive belt fraying. The belt is steel belted like a tire and the frayed belt ends start scraping the inside of the housing. Don’t let it go too long they are tough to cut out of the drive

Logan. remember you talking about this back when you bought this in the chat area.  You did say after getting it home that you did get it to fire and seems you have done a whole lot more since then.  I remember saying if it was a Honda and sunk it would be best to remove the engine and split it to see what it sucked in.  Maybe the Can-Am is designed differently and wouldn't allow anything to get in, hope you are lucky enough to not have had that happen.  on the surface it is in fantastic shape, good luck to you, keep us informed on your progress.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Nice !!   You mentioned clutch ticking , did you pull the plug on the bottom of the belt box , maybe there was / is  water in there 

yes pulled it off slightly rusty going to clean it soon

5 hours ago, Goober said:

If you hear ticking in the belt box that may be the drive belt fraying. The belt is steel belted like a tire and the frayed belt ends start scraping the inside of the housing. Don’t let it go too long they are tough to cut out of the drive

belt seemed ok going to replace it in spring