riverc

Light Bulbs

The light bulbs for my 2019 Rancher 420 are not very bright on Dim they look more yellow than white light. I have a Led light bar for connected to the Hi-Beam. I don't always want to use the HI-Beam so looking for better light bulbs to see better on Dim my old eyes are not doing so good in the dark anymore.

You’d have to go HID’s or LED’s.

Eagle Eye makes an HID kit.  They throw lots of light but the ballast system isn’t great as they do tend to fail at the most inopportune times.

HID’s are easier, white light, but from the reviews they don’t put out as much useable light as the factory bulbs

Jeep, would O'Rielly's or AutoZone have Led bulbs to fit? Led's might would be better than factory bulbs.

I have never changed my atv bulbs , I replace the bulbs with pods and add light bars    -------    I buy my Duracell ATV / Boat batteries from  " Batteries and Bulbs " , they are in Slidell but have other locations , I'd give them a call with the number off the bulb , you never know , maybe someone else done it before with them , there is another bulb place in Elmwood / Harahan , La , I bought weird bulbs from them before ,  I think that one is called  " The  House of Bulbs  " 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Charlie said:

I bought these, maybe nice as bright, but at least they look much better when they are on

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B085PY5GGK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After reading the reviews looks like it's best to stay with what I have now, not really going to gain much. Was just looking to see if others had better results going with after market bulbs. Thanks fo the link.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:40 AM, riverc said:

Jeep, would O'Rielly's or AutoZone have Led bulbs to fit? Led's might would be better than factory bulbs.

Nope.  Unfortunately Honda used a proprietary bulb on the Foremans and Ranchers, so there's not a "car" bulb that fits.  The pod lights on the Foremans are H10's, so at least those swap out easily enough.  The bottom lights are Honda only bulbs, which is why they're $$$ if you want to go HID

• Like 1

They absolutely look better, but I can see squat so I'm more concerned with function that appearance.

I remember a member that was doing a mod to the light housings and fitting different high powered bulbs into  the stock housing , I think his name was something like  what7 , I think  @_Wilson_™ might know who I am referring to ----- 

the way I use my ATVs in water   , I think if water gets into the housing , then the bulb usually blows out

them high quality bulbs can be expensive , I paid about $90 for the two bulbs in my truck , they do light it up 

IMG_8228.JPG

• Thanks 1

Yeah! Fish nailed it @Z7What thank you fish! Although i don't recall if that thread is here, but it is in the old forums... And, We've not seem here in a while, least i haven't........ His handle is over in the old forums is that same as it is here... fish he lucked on some itp wheels maybe some lke you have..... In time i hope to get a set for the 200 300..... It's also on the ever growing honey todo list, or rather honda todo list.... 

Edit: credit goes to Fish, and Z7what

HID build 

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/hid-headlight-build.123248/#post-1222498

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I remember a member that was doing a mod to the light housings and fitting different high powered bulbs into  the stock housing , I think his name was something like  what7 , I think  @_Wilson_™ might know who I am referring to ----- 

the way I use my ATVs in water   , I think if water gets into the housing , then the bulb usually blows out

them high quality bulbs can be expensive , I paid about $90 for the two bulbs in my truck , they do light it up 

IMG_8228.JPG

Fish, that's a nice-looking bike I like it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Them Dual Slim` Row are the nicest  looking pods I have seen   !!! >>>   $255 a little pricey

But I have been told , if you want to run with the big dogs , you have to pee with them too , or stay on my puppy butt on the porch and quit all the barking 

You'd be a #1 Stunner with a set of them Slim Duals 

On 12/29/2022 at 12:05 PM, Charlie said:

They look good, but I'm not paying that much for headlights. I bought a 22" Road King Led Light Bar at Harbor Freight for 79.99. Installed it Thursday it's much better than the one I had on the bike. It's more spot than flood just what I needed going through the woods.

• Like 1

Light bar prices sure did get  up there  .... but everything has ......I remember getting  24 inch Cred led light bars for about $25 with  shipping   

I have seen led light bars that were flood and spot on the same bar , never paid a lot of attention to if you could control each function separately or not 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Light bar prices sure did get  up there  .... but everything has ......I remember getting  24 inch Cred led light bars for about $25 with  shipping   

I have seen led light bars that were flood and spot on the same bar , never paid a lot of attention to if you could control each function separately or not 

The Road Shock has 4 flood light bulbs on the ends of both sides and row, the rest are spot bulbs. The other cheap light bar I replaced was too bright and more flood couldn't see very far ahead not what I needed going through the woods. I'm thinking about installing it on the old power stroke would be better for seeing wide on those dark country roads just will have to turn off when you see another vehicle approaching.

Edited by riverc
  • Like 1

I seen on some of those Wildlife Law shows , some States give tickets if they catch you riding with your light bars on even on back roads , which is crazy , cause why  can you have them on your truck , atv or boat ,  if you can't use them , I seen in our State  , if they deem you are attempting to light up deer or rabbits , they can charge you with Harassment of Animals or something like that when you are lighting up the trails 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I seen on some of those Wildlife Law shows , some States give tickets if they catch you riding with your light bars on even on back roads , which is crazy , cause why  can you have them on your truck , atv or boat ,  if you can't use them , I seen in our State  , if they deem you are attempting to light up deer or rabbits , they can charge you with Harassment of Animals or something like that when you are lighting up the trails 

We have too many laws lol. I'm riding trails on private property (family land) so F-them. As for the back country roads they have to catch me lol.

Edited by riverc
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

They have something to that effect here, don't know if it's like it used to be but back then they'd try and get you for spot lighting....which in turn your license was revoked guns (if you had one with you)  was seized ....along with any other hunting apparatus you had .(sometimes even your vehicle seized plus a hefty fine)  ....  It was crooked as all get out.... Even people who were out checking things at night with a light...had notes made on them address, surroundings etc etc 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, Fishfiles said:

IMG_8228.JPG

Hey Fish, that's an awesome looking rig there sir! Hey, what light bar is that and is it good for night time trail riding? I'm looking for a good LED Light Bar that will fit nicely on the front carrier of that 85 TRX250 that I am restoring. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Six862m6 said:

Hey Fish, that's an awesome looking rig there sir! Hey, what light bar is that and is it good for night time trail riding? I'm looking for a good LED Light Bar that will fit nicely on the front carrier of that 85 TRX250 that I am restoring. Any suggestions?

Thanks , I always buy Cree lights , that's a 20 inch ----  they light it up ----  they come in spot light or flood light and now  some are both spot and flood combo   on the same bar , the ones I have that are combo are not controllable separately , they both come on at the same time --- I am not sure if any are separate control , that would be cool ---- I can't say which is better , spot or flood , both are insane amounts of light 

Them TRX250 Fourtrax are really tuff atvs , that engine is the same engine in the ATC250 Big Red 3 wheeler  , proven tuff 

40 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Thanks , I always buy Cree lights , that's a 20 inch ----  they light it up ----  they come in spot light or flood light and now  some are both spot and flood combo   on the same bar , the ones I have that are combo are not controllable separately , they both come on at the same time --- I am not sure if any are separate control , that would be cool ---- I can't say which is better , spot or flood , both are insane amounts of light 

Them TRX250 Fourtrax are really tuff atvs , that engine is the same engine in the ATC250 Big Red 3 wheeler  , proven tuff 

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the Crees for sure. Do you happen to remember the vendor that you got them from? 

Yea, the old bird is coming along. I put the rear plastic back on it yesterday evening as well as the new (to it) powder coated rear rack/bar assembly. This is the first time in probably 30 years that this thing has had the plastic cubby door and the carrier door that covers it! Thankfully I was still able to buy the plastic bushings for the door new. I just bought a new set of tires for it (not that the ones it has are all that bad, especially the rears but I am going to have the wheels powder coated and I want a set of Swamp Witches on the back anyway, so hey, time to do it). I may work on putting the front plastic and carrier on today or tomorrow.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with that ! tank though....

PXL_20230206_233328736.jpg

PXL_20230206_233322959.jpg

PXL_20230206_233317064.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good! Do you have the rear tail light assemblies too ? And i think ? Those rubber (right hand side from the pic) trunk rack straps might be upside down ? Pointing up... mine laid flat ... Looking at that bike sure does bring back memories of the great times i had riding my 85 250.....  N, Your back tire choice (i like) i had wooly boogers on mine... 

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

And i think ? Those rubber (right hand side from the pic) trunk rack straps might be upside down ? Pointing up... mine laid flat ... 

Looks right to me .