michael

speedometer does not work

hey guy i have a Honda 400 foreman and as soon as you start it the speedometer goes full speed and the odometer starts rolling just wondering if you would have any ideas of what is wrong with it thanks

32 minutes ago, michael said:

I think it is an electrical cord but I'm not positive 

Is it a digital display or does it have a needle?

If it’s digital then it’s probably a speed sensor issue. You have a battery on the machine right?

Hi Micheal , welcome to ATVForum ----  what year 400 do you have , up to 2004 the made the TRX400FW( foot shift )  and the TRX400ES ( electric shift ) , in 2004 up  they came out with the 400 Automatic , so in 2004 they had 3 different models 

I thought the needle speedometers would be cable driven but apparently they’re electric.

I’d be looking at #12 in this schematic.  

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1997/trx400fw-a-fourtrax-forman/crankcase-cover-rr

The factory service manual is available free in PDF format in the toolbar.  It should have instructions on testing your existing speed sensor

That 400 must be different than a 450 and have a speedometer that looks like this $480 gizmo , looks like it has a needle for the gauge but still works off an electric signal --- would guess it is either the $120 sender  or the $480 speedometer

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1997/trx400fw-a-fourtrax-forman/speedometerimage.png