Snow Camo

Exhaust Expansion pipe?

Yessir! I think I found a whites Brothers muffler that will fit and look slick. It's not as Shiney as the supertrapp, but as you said it's the same design. I'll see about making the purchase.

• Like 1

Well I got one of these on the way. It does sound a bit more loud then I was hoping, but I'll repack and figure less disk and something else to quiet it down a bit more.

• Like 1

Got little guy in the mail today. I see why these are soo loud vs the supertrapp. I believe the legnth difference is what makes the supertrapp sound level more adjustable. This is a few inches shorter then the stock muffler. I'll likely mod this thing before I trash the factory muffler. A repack would help, but if I know mufflers this one is going to need some fab work.

20221229_204832.jpg

20221229_204841.jpg

Edited by Snow Camo

Tried it out after repacking and it sounds good, but due to the case size it is too loud for cruising. I will pickup the supertrapp or another large can muffler down the line. I have other fish to fry at this time.

This is what I would do , but I have a feeling it is not what you want to hear  ---   don't take anything apart or order any parts yet -----  get a compression tester and check compression dry and wet , that should isolate rings and / or valve stem seals --- if the compression is not to specs , then disassemble the engine , forget about building a racing engine and stay stock , send the jug to G+H Discount ATV , have them bore the jug to properly  fit a piston and rings , they will send you all the seals and gasket you need to  do an upper job for about $225 total which would include machine work ( bore job )  , piston rings , wrist pin , keepers , valve stem seals  and gaskets and shipping ------  hopping the 200SX up , is not going to make that much difference and to me is not worth the time and  effort you are going to spend ---- 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is the plan. I hope it is simple, but if need be I will send the jug and head off to be worked. 

So is it just the cylinder size that makes it pointless to step up in piston size? I do not plan to race this quad, just get the most out of what I have. I am not looking at the $ spent just fun after lol. 

• Like 1

Increasing the bore does very little to increase the CCs -----   G+H has about 6 sizes for the 300 , in increments of .010 , so it is like > 10 over , >20 over , etc etc   -----  not sure what is available for the 200SX , they have done a 200SX for me before , so I know they can do it  ,   they will do the head , they use to charge $155 for a head job , we can walk you thru that , as long as it is basic ,  changing the stem seals and lapping the valves 

• Thanks 1

Ok so the factory bore is 65.00 that namura piston is 67.47. I understand though it will not raise the cc enough to other then seat of pants feeling where .5hp feels like 20hp. 

I can rebuild the head, minus replacing valve guides. If I do take the head off I planned to clean up the casting and polish the exhaust side. Not much. The main thing I will have an issue with is getting the retainers/ keepers out and back in. I can use lapping compound and lap the valves easy.

Run that loud muffler and the sound will psychologically make you feel like you got something and give your neighbors something to  hate on ya for >>>>     LOL 

• Haha 3

Yeah that old saying loud pipes saves lives is true enough, but then again could have an adverse effect........Lol! 

• Haha 2

Here is my position on the situation. This 200sx has little to almost zero aftermarket support. The engine design isnt good. Not a performance engine at all. Heck its worse than most utility quads in engine design. Why not buy say a 300ex? You can pick up one for like 500 dollars or less. And the aftermarket support explodes. The sky is the limit. Take this information for what its worth. But modifications are addicting. I had a 300ex before my 400 i have now. I made my 300ex a 330 big bore. Did everything under the sun dropped crazy money and time and got walked away from by a stock 400ex. Sold it and got a 400ex. Built it. And eventually sold it. I built the one i have now for mx racing and just hit a few fair races once a year. I used to do exactly what you are doing. Do it for fun. That fun ends up costing alot down the road. I got well over 10k in my build. Prolly between all the quads ive had and built somewhere in the 20k to 30k range. You start going down the road of custom and those numbers double and triple quick. Aftermarket support is honestly the only way to do mods and not go broke. This coming from someone who paid almost 700 dollars for one custom piston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Here is my position on the situation. This 200sx has little to almost zero aftermarket support. The engine design isnt good. Not a performance engine at all. Heck its worse than most utility quads in engine design. Why not buy say a 300ex? You can pick up one for like 500 dollars or less. And the aftermarket support explodes. The sky is the limit. Take this information for what its worth. But modifications are addicting. I had a 300ex before my 400 i have now. I made my 300ex a 330 big bore. Did everything under the sun dropped crazy money and time and got walked away from by a stock 400ex. Sold it and got a 400ex. Built it. And eventually sold it. I built the one i have now for mx racing and just hit a few fair races once a year. I used to do exactly what you are doing. Do it for fun. That fun ends up costing alot down the road. I got well over 10k in my build. Prolly between all the quads ive had and built somewhere in the 20k to 30k range. You start going down the road of custom and those numbers double and triple quick. Aftermarket support is honestly the only way to do mods and not go broke. This coming from someone who paid almost 700 dollars for one custom piston.

Thanks man. Now I know the engine design is what makes it not worth it. I understand that. I figured the head needed some work to get more flow. I never planned to race this one just say I did it and note any pros/ cons for future readers. 

I won't waiste time with this one. I'll just keep it simple and rebuild to stock specs. 

Even though I would like to trow a cam in there 😆 idk why... I just do. 

So my next quad would be a 700x unless that's a bad idea. How is that one for aftermarket support?

I want something comfortable when going over rough terrain. From what I see straight axel quads are accedent prone in rough terrain. Atleast that is what I see watching vids. 

Aftermarket support for the 700xx was not horrible. Only problem with them is they only sold for a few years and parts are few and far between. IRS has its ups and downs. If you want to sling the quad around a corner full blast the IRS will flex and grip and not really slide much. Solid axles quads will buck you off if you hit a big bump wide open. Ask me how i know lol. But with proper suspension setup they can handle anything you throw at them. Look up gncc racing. Its a bucket list item for me to run a xc type race. Still havent pulled the trigger. Got smoked by my cartwheeling quad after flying over the handlebars while doing some woods racing practice. Went back to what i know. MX racing lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Aftermarket support for the 700xx was not horrible. Only problem with them is they only sold for a few years and parts are few and far between. IRS has its ups and downs. If you want to sling the quad around a corner full blast the IRS will flex and grip and not really slide much. Solid axles quads will buck you off if you hit a big bump wide open. Ask me how i know lol. But with proper suspension setup they can handle anything you throw at them. Look up gncc racing. Its a bucket list item for me to run a xc type race. Still havent pulled the trigger. Got smoked by my cartwheeling quad after flying over the handlebars while doing some woods racing practice. Went back to what i know. MX racing lol.

Parts...Well that's something to look into before I go 700x. I did notice they seem to grip better in turns. 

Proper suspension. Care to elaborate? I saw Pete hagar demo a uniball suspension a while back and he raved about it. You could clearly see that suspension basically turned to quad into a different bike. That said I remember when I looked it up the cost was like 4-5k usd.

With that he really could go over all the woops and any terrain full blast and he looked like none of the bumps even phased him one bit.

8 minutes ago, Snow Camo said:

Parts...Well that's something to look into before I go 700x. I did notice they seem to grip better in turns. 

Proper suspension. Care to elaborate? I saw Pete hagar demo a uniball suspension a while back and he raved about it. You could clearly see that suspension basically turned to quad into a different bike. That said I remember when I looked it up the cost was like 4-5k usd.

With that he really could go over all the woops and any terrain full blast and he looked like none of the bumps even phased him one bit.

Its less about the actual suspension and more about the tuning of it. I had my rebound set to high and thats what caused it to toss me. My suspension is elka stage 3. Had them re-valved and tuned for my weight and riding style by BNR performance. My quad has a long travel setup and it absorbs anything now that i had the shocks setup and tuned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

Its less about the actual suspension and more about the tuning of it. I had my rebound set to high and thats what caused it to toss me. My suspension is elka stage 3. Had them re-valved and tuned for my weight and riding style by BNR performance. My quad has a long travel setup and it absorbs anything now that i had the shocks setup and tuned.

Ok I gotcha. I heard elka or joca excuse if I  misspelled the name. A guy named Kevin rebuilds shocks. 

Maybe there would be a straight axel in the future maybe. This little quad is my get my feet wet. After I'll go diving lol.

I may picking up an 01 warrior from the same guy I got this 200sx from. Idk yet we are still early in conversation.