Well after yesterdays ride & lots of previous thoughts, I’ve decided to build my never before opened up spare 300 motor & build a 400BBK to replace my 355BBK in the atv currently. Here’s my plans..

JR Trikes 400BBK (ORDERED!)

JR Trikes Valves/Springs/Seals (ORDERED!)

Webcam 40C & Rockers (ORDERED!)

250BR Chain & Cam Gear (ORDERED!)

EBC DR6 Clutch Kit (ORDERED!)

HL Outlaw Springs (ORDERED!)

Replace Centrifugal Clutch & One Way Bearing (ORDERED)

Front Axles (ORDERED!)

Seals/Bearings (ORDERED)

(IF there is ANY play in the crank, it’s getting one rebuilt at Mr Crankshaft!)

**NO PLAY**

I don’t want to have to open this engine back up for years to come!

Ill be using Motts Machining for the Jug & Head work

My 355 already had the rest of supporting mods like the 300ex carb & exhaust, Ricks CDI, K&N filter, 424, Disc Brakes ect… 

I do have to get myself another oil cooler & a fan to keep things running cool!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Did you not sell the  355 ? Or do i have my wires crossed ? Anyways ... Tuned in for the build! 

No @_Wilson_™ I still have the 355 in the quad. Runs strong.. u didn’t miss anything there…

• Thanks 1

Thanks for some reason i thought you had purchased another bike.... Maybe I'm thinking of the engine (future) 400bbk 

• Like 1

So is the Trike BBK a one time deal ?  ---  What I mean is , are the sleeve  and / or the piston  both one time use items  , if the piston is damaged there is no oversize , so the sleeve would also have to be replaced when a new piston or rings are needed  ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

So is the Trike BBK a one time deal ?  ---  What I mean is , are the sleeve  and / or the piston  both one time use items  , if the piston is damaged there is no oversize , so the sleeve would also have to be replaced when a new piston or rings are needed  ? 

yes fish, I “believe” this is it… at 400cc there isn’t room for error…

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Thanks for some reason i thought you had purchased another bike.... Maybe I'm thinking of the engine (future) 400bbk 

i did purchase my old 300 back from my buddy who I sold it too after I swapped plastics. But only kept the motor, front diff, front driveshaft ect. 

• Like 1

Oh crap! Yeah NOW i recall it...... Cause you debated on building a complete machine from that one, right ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Oh crap! Yeah NOW i know recall it...... Cause you debated on building a complete machine from that one, right ? 

Yes sir! That’s correct. I don’t have much more to buy, & she will be ready for the teardown!

• Like 1

I'm not EVEN going to ask what the top speed of this new will be..... Lol! ...your not going nitrous yet are you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Need lots of pics when you do the build!   Might want to look at using a 450 Foreman cent clutch while you're at it.  I think it requires grinding the inside of the clutch cover a bit, but otherwise bolts on.

• Like 2

Clutch, springs, cam chain, 250BR cam gear & foot pegs all here!

65E435E8-77BD-4AA6-85D8-6549EA7C176A.jpeg

• Like 4

More parts arrived today. 

Front Axles & they weren’t cheap. Unreal how some parts are really expensive for these old girls now!!

24E0EFFE-22BE-402B-B920-FBAB02C7DB07.jpeg

DA3CBF12-0639-4821-AC0B-C32548AC7B09.jpeg

• Like 2

More progress today. This engine has never been apart! So clean & good shape. I have to send the rockers for hard surface & cam as core for the 40C to Webcams. 

I’ll have to get the front left corner tapped out as it’s the only one that snapped off. It’s like that on my 355BBK as well. 

C800D4E9-2024-4E6B-9B59-59439590A6B6.jpeg

088711C3-518D-4EB0-AA74-6A099EA11008.jpeg

58151495-6AAB-4D16-ADE5-1CFEE2DF856B.jpeg

DBC629B1-8C5C-40B5-A72E-0501CDB050ED.jpeg

89EE729C-6EF8-431C-BE1A-02280D1FCB5C.jpeg

B1D5F276-3F9A-43C6-BB8F-3C9A1C706F9D.jpeg

8D885147-295B-4EF9-9216-2A34F637E001.jpeg

D9993A17-8FE1-4EA4-961B-1658126E7F84.jpeg

B792A496-B87F-4B4B-A549-ABB34BD43C3A.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

Unreal how much thicker the 250BR cam gear is... I wonder why they changed it out for the 300??....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Unreal how much thicker the 250BR cam gear is... I wonder why they changed it out for the 300??....

I would guess saving money was the reason ----

I wish they would have made the  timing gear on the crankshaft replaceable --- I have seen on 1st gen 300s the parts micro finche shows a replaceable gear , but have never seen or heard of a replaceable gear to exist ---- I would guess when that crankshaft gear gets out of pitch it really shortens  the life of the chain and the only way to fix it is to replace the crankshaft 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I would guess saving money was the reason ----

I wish they would have made the  timing gear on the crankshaft replaceable --- I have seen on 1st gen 300s the parts micro finche shows a replaceable gear , but have never seen or heard of a replaceable gear to exist ---- I would guess when that crankshaft gear gets out of pitch it really shortens  the life of the chain and the only way to fix it is to replace the crankshaft 

If that were the case then I would think that first GEN cranks would bring a premium, assuming Vince could replace that gear and that a replacement gear is available

• Like 1

Ya only was to fix the teeth is the crank. I agree a replaceable gear would be the way to go!

• Like 1

Rock on man! Any cam grind in mind? 

Disregard. Realized 40c is the grind. Lol

Edited by Snow Camo

On 1/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, jeepwm69 said:

If that were the case then I would think that first GEN cranks would bring a premium, assuming Vince could replace that gear and that a replacement gear is available

Whether or not they even made some cranks with a removable gear I don't know , I do know  ,  when I first got into 300s and needed a crank , the parts prints showed the crank with the gear being removable and a part number for that gear , but now the prints have been revised and the gear is no longer shown