Got the rings/piston/cylinder On. Have to pull clutch cover off as now the kick start & starter shaft won’t rotate or go into any gear…

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

IMG_3112.jpeg

• Like 3

Thinking my clutch discs possibly jammed up. There is no play. I was sure I checked them. I’ve got cover off & shifts & turns over fine now. Gonna really check this out as I want this motor together. 

Edited by Wheeler

Rookie move… Rookie move… chain was bound up…cover back on, kick works, shifts fine… 

lol. 

• Like 3

Talk about frustration! I dropped a washer into the case. Had to pull the clutch cover off again, remove centrifugal to retro it! It’s staying off this time until head/cam all done!!!   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So the chain is super tight! I have yet to loctite the gear bolts. The timing mark is on the T, she’s TDC, tensioner in lines look pretty darn good now & cam lobes down…. I’ll rotate the motor few times to make sure she’s still all lined up. I just don’t like how there is ZERO play in the chain AT ALL.   

IMG_3124.jpeg

IMG_3122.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg

IMG_3117.jpeg

• Like 2

Are you maybe running a 250 Big Red chain on a 300 sprocket ? 

@Fishfiles it’s a BR cam gear. U can tell by the dots. The BR chain was new as well. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

@Fishfiles it’s a BR cam gear. U can tell by the dots. The BR chain was new as well. 

I can see it looked like a 250 chain , but the sprocket did not look like my 250 sprocket , if you enlarge the second pic to view the sprocket , do they look the same to you ? 

2aKu%KPsS7Op1ySBux1t3w.jpg

6xXzN+twSzWv0E2qEE5neA.jpg

Interesting as it does look different. My dot is to the right, my lip is in the inside. Mine looks the same as one I seen on FB Page & not like urs. Interesting. I’ll do more research before I close it up. I bought it from a local slavage/atv/motorcycle store. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

These are pics I just googled. Found on EBay. Same as mine. If u look at the dots/lines same as mine..that’s the chain I used..

IMG_3128.png

IMG_3127.png

IMG_3126.png

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

Yep , I can see the ledge in your last  pic ---   you right , it is a tight fit , it was tight before I ever put the adjuster in 

image.pngimage.png

image.png

54 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Yep , I can see the ledge in your last  pic ---   you right , it is a tight fit , it was tight before I ever put the adjuster in 

image.pngimage.png

image.png

Ok, so even though it’s tight I should be good to go? I just wanted confirmation, as Ive never seen this before. (But again, never installed a 250 on a 300 either.) So it’s new to me. Just don’t want to put too much stress on bearings ect. 

Well got er all figured out, cam gear bolts locktite, tripled checked timing & cam lobes down & all lubed up. HondaBond was too old to use so I resorted to red high temp rtv again. Light coat, put cover on, waited 1hr & torqued down. Clutch cover on, Valves set at.004 as per Webcam. Tripled checked that too. 

Engine swap is about to start!!!!

IMG_3169.jpeg

IMG_3170.jpeg

IMG_3172.jpeg

IMG_3176.jpeg

IMG_3177.jpeg

• Like 5

In before shadetree replies in all caps about you using that red RTV.... LOL

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

In before shadetree replies in all caps about you using that red RTV.... LOL

I KNOW!! I wanted it together & it was going together even though the Honda Bond tube was messed up! I went light, inspected inside the valve covers. Nothing to complain or worry about! Lol. 

• Haha 1

Haha! Jeep beat me to it, i thought about saying something last night, but figured nah jut grab the popcorn..... Rofl! 

• Haha 1

She’s in!!! Now just getting everything hooked back up properly… gonna require a new decals!! Haha

IMG_3181.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3183.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

So I was trying to get the nut off the exhaust stud which was out off the head. Heated I & snapped it in vise. Then tried tobget one from the 355 & snapped it. So had to order new ones from Honda. 

now… the big debate for me begins…. I’m “thinking” rip the 355 engine apart, hone cylinder, new rings, cam, rockers, chain, & clutch…  lol haven’t even fired up the 400 & debating on what to do with the 355 lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loading up that plate .... With forks eh ? Lol ...... Sigh... Got a plate full here too.... I'm not one for loosing things, so today misplaced my keys ...  Located them just a few ago now supper...anyways not to derail ... So I'm off to grill! 

• Haha 1

So foot pegs all back on, 424 installed, front diff fixed (washers doubled up inside) & installed, new axles in, just need to tighten up the front end bolts & toss cotter pins in. Not too much left to do.. 

Need to fill front diff, engine oil, (transfer case filled) buy some new jets & oil cooler. I have a plan on how to mount the fan & cooler. 

should have er hopefully fired up by the week end!

IMG_3193.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

• Like 3

Making headway. Fingers crossed I get er fired up today. Welded a bracket, new oil cooler & fan mounted. Fan is from a Kodiak 350. WOW does it move air!!! Just have to install jets, run lines to the cooler, (fill it first of course) top up the camshaft cavity with oil (has moly all over journals & cam now) & triple check everything… 

IMG_3201.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

IMG_3199.jpeg

• Like 4

What a wild last few weeks! 

Two weeks ago I was preparing for a week n half mountain off grid camp in mountains. Well line behold my frame was cracked. So I fixed it, (brazed crack, then made coffin/stiffener from 1” pipe cut in half. Welds look bad, but held up & work!!) got quad running as good as I could for jetting & gave er a full send in the mountains. Total miles were roughly 265+ 

400bbk worked amazing!! Lots of torque & power. Worked better & better once broken in. Got winched out of the muskeg, (I was just letting my cousin use his new quad lol). On last day in way back to the campsite I hit the river bed & some sow water. I pinned it… then this….

The rear end is fine..the axle made it 5 years…

New Bronco Axle, bearing & seal, brake pads be here Friday. New 5” pod lights today… 

I’m running a 42 slow, 125 main, & K&N filter. In the pic that’s how plugged looked. I was getting lots of pick pack on deceleration. So I swapped back to the foam Twin Air Filter. I’ll try that out & see how it goes. The fan & oil cooler were KING! She be back up & running by week end!!!

Glad I built this motor! One reason is I had to swap clutch covers from 355 onto new motor. Found a valve seal & pieces in bottom crank case with metal in oil. 

I’ll post up videos once I upload from my GoPro. 

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3248.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3233.jpeg

IMG_3234.jpeg

IMG_3236.jpeg

IMG_3237.jpeg

IMG_3240.png

IMG_3239.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

Jeep ...... You always have to say (you know the rules we want pictures)  just keep this post in mind next time those words need to be used...  Lol wheeler... It's going to take a few for me to look at all these, and thank you! I'll comment a couple hours from now haha! 

• Like 1

Looks good wheeler.  Obviously has some toque to snap an axle like that!

• Like 1