Gremlin

Dream machine 2001 350es modifications/rebuild/potential disaster! Ha

My first quad was an 01 250 fourtrax, which I still have. Rock solid, never let me down, and goes wherever I point it. Easy to maneuver, light and fast enough. I'm into enjoying the trails, getting dirty. No racer here. Lol But, always a but, at times...you want/need 4x4.  I always loved that era of ATV.  But I found my Dream Machine.

Picked up a 2001 350es for couple hundred bucks. The engine was run dry of oil, has no compression, I suspect needs whole new top end, out of time, maybe a cam...dunno. haven't really cracked it yet. I will this spring but lucked out on another cheap motor that runs great.  I hate full time 4x4, like everyone does. Was looking at the wide open but came across the Creamsicle.  Thanks Retro! So picked up a 400at front diff.  Then of course, hate the extra junk Honda put on those ATVs, think they call them brakes? Ha  So looking at discs kits and came across a post about 420 disc brake conversion.  Thanks Jeepwm69. So picked the stuff up.   Anyone else with some cool mods??

Have the bike stripped right to the frame. It needs some love, and is at what I would call the edge...another year or two of neglect and it would be a victim of rust failure.  I want to do this quad right, and have it perform and look great.  

So literally starting from the frame up. Any tips or suggestions for the prep, paint work on the frame? I strip all my bikes down every 5 years and touch up any rust. I have never had to actually pull the motor or harness. I never let it get that bad. This one however,  needs it.

The gizmo retro? Found this on amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/SuperNight-Converter-Regulator-Regulated-Transformer/dp/B077444WQY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?adgrpid=64835998687&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlOFP51CC3w1l14gH3h13xrsUycI3xEoIXKyQqy7kI-vKgg9hW6dDeEaAqcjEALw_wcB&hvadid=310034595272&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9000041&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=11143506458256621852&hvtargid=kwd-1390296072&hydadcr=4388_9842155&keywords=12v+5v+converter&qid=1579139344&sr=8-4  Only 5v output but I would think 5v would be enough for the switch? I couldn't find all the info about your gizmo. Can you help me out with info? At a caveman level here...I'm novice with wiring although I do all my own, I am still a learnin'.

Thanks anyone that has any input! 

FB_IMG_1578874034598.jpg

20200112_180946.jpg

• Like 1

The creamsicle build covers it best.

The start in gear mod is a must for me, and if you’re doing that might as well add brake lights too. 

A 400AT cam will supposedly be a mild cam upgrade as well. I have one I bought to put in the 350 motor that’s my next project (as soon as I finish cleaning my shop).

We like lots of pics!

1 hour ago, Gremlin said:

I couldn't find all the info about your gizmo. Can you help me out with info?

Yeah, hows about I make a creamsicle orange one for ya? 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, retro said:

Yeah, hows about I make a creamsicle orange one for ya? 🙂

Um...that be amazing!! Even directions be great. Lol.  I'm in the great white north so not sure how shipping works to Canada.  Lol

12 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

The creamsicle build covers it best.

The start in gear mod is a must for me, and if you’re doing that might as well add brake lights too. 

A 400AT cam will supposedly be a mild cam upgrade as well. I have one I bought to put in the 350 motor that’s my next project (as soon as I finish cleaning my shop).

We like lots of pics!

Tell me more about in gear start...or the link to the thread? Thanks!!

I'm not experienced with north of the US border shipping either but it can't be too bad. As far as the Rancher electrical mods go @jeepwm69 @Melatv and I can fill ya in on each one as you go. I still have all of the pics, specs and info from every project that I did and I imagine those guys still have theirs too. Once you get ready to buy selectable & start-in-any-gear mod parts we can advise ya on which used parts to look for. Hope ya not in a big hurry for a gizmo though.... cause I gotta build a fan control gizmo for @Fishfiles before I can get started on yours. You'll see a thread on the FCU build shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gremlin said:

Tell me more about in gear start...or the link to the thread? Thanks!!

• Thanks 1

The Tutorials app is down right now, waiting on a fix cause it was throwing errors. So those links don't show the goods... just the comments.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, retro said:

I'm not experienced with north of the US border shipping either but it can't be too bad. As far as the Rancher electrical mods go @jeepwm69 @Melatv and I can fill ya in on each one as you go. I still have all of the pics, specs and info from every project that I did and I imagine those guys still have theirs too. Once you get ready to buy selectable & start-in-any-gear mod parts we can advise ya on which used parts to look for. Hope ya not in a big hurry for a gizmo though.... cause I gotta build a fan control gizmo for @Fishfiles before I can get started on yours. You'll see a thread on the FCU build shortly.

No rush! Lol  This is going to be a long process to restore.  Haha

HI: Before Christmas I was being charged 38 cents on every USD -- some thing are free shipping -- some not -- 15 % tax is collected at border on most items. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Melatv said:

HI: Before Christmas I was being charged 38 cents on every USD -- some thing are free shipping -- some not -- 15 % tax is collected at border on most items. 

Thanks Mel. It really is crazy.  See some part cheap on ebay for 100, 250 by the time it gets here and exchanged. Lol

As long as it's under 60 bucks you don't get charged at the border

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

That $60 US or $60CAD?

These taxes are getting out of hand.  I've sent some stuff to Sam over the UK and if I sent it as a gift there weren't taxes charged....until suddenly they were.  Anything over 39 British pounds now gets taxed, even if it's a gift.

What I sent Sam I just arbitrarily put $50 as the value on it, not thinking it would even matter since it was clearly marked as a gift.  That put it under a dollar over that 39 pound mark (at the exchange rate the day I checked) and they were going to nail him with a big tax.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TBRider said:

HI: Good under $60 no tax is only when you received something from family or friends living in the USA .

Any goods over $20 you pay taxes 

Some goods I have received from the USA on a FedEx truck -- FedEx paid the tax then FedEx billed me for the tax they paid at the border.

• Thanks 1

Comparison shots. 400at and 350 diffs.

What is going to be my best product for getting the housings clean? 

The next month or two will be clean, clean, and clean some more.

20200117_182800.jpg

20200117_182804.jpg

20200117_182754.jpg

• Like 2

I used Eagle One Etching Mag wheel cleaner & small brushes on my 400AT diff. It cleans up to a grey color, little bit darker than new stock appearance, but it gets the corrosion off.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, retro said:

I used Eagle One Etching Mag wheel cleaner & small brushes on my 400AT diff. It cleans up to a grey color, little bit darker than new stock appearance, but it gets the corrosion off.

How long do you let it sit? Do you worry about it putting the aluminum?

And same for knuckles? 

Edited by Gremlin

I just sprayed it on and started brushing until the corrosion was gone. Then I sprayed it down good, let it sit for a minute and pressure washed it. The acid is not strong enough to cause pitting as long as ya rinse it all off.

• Like 1

This what my diff looked like after it was cleaned up.

400at-diff-installed-1.png400at-diff-installed-2.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

That $60 US or $60CAD?

These taxes are getting out of hand.  I've sent some stuff to Sam over the UK and if I sent it as a gift there weren't taxes charged....until suddenly they were.  Anything over 39 British pounds now gets taxed, even if it's a gift.

What I sent Sam I just arbitrarily put $50 as the value on it, not thinking it would even matter since it was clearly marked as a gift.  That put it under a dollar over that 39 pound mark (at the exchange rate the day I checked) and they were going to nail him with a big tax.

Hi Jeep: That's $60 CND

• Like 1

Looks awesome.  I'd be glad if my clean one turned out as food as your dirty!  Haha The silt is terrible to get off!

Cleaning the harness and switches. Does the kill switch just pop off? The red slide part. Got everything else off but the kill wouldn't budge and wanted to be sure there isn't a trick to removing.  

Gremlin , I have never taken  the kill switch knob off before , but would think it has to be a push on fit as the knob won't go thru the switch housing ---maybe a screw driver under the slider knob and pry it off , I would take care to not crack the housing