Misterclean

Custom Jets

Sorry I haven't posted here in a long time guys but I do peek in on occasion to stay informed a little. I wanted to share/brag a little this morning. Ha Ha   I bought a KTM 200 XC W a few months ago and have been spending time getting the jetting perfect. It came with the wrong needle so JD Jetting set me up with a custom needle but I needed a slow jet lower than the 42 that was recommended. I continued leaning it down until I got to a #32 and Keihin didn't offer anything smaller. So I started filling in spare pilot jets with lead solder using first a drill bit to make a hole that was smaller. When my supply of micro drill bits couldn't provide a small enough hole I started soldering it with various sized wire installed to make a hole. Just solder and pull the wire out.....I finally found a wire that measured .065" which is close to .165mm.....#165-#166. It's perfect! It took several hours of fiddling but I think it's going to be just fine. Of course I need to actually ride it in it's element to see the finer details. I'm so happy I just had to share this with ya'll..........someone will appreciate this.

• Like 3

Hey! Glad to see u still around. 

If I understand u correctly, u soldered the jet, then drilled it out, experimenting until it fired up & idled correctly? IF SO, you couldn’t find a stock jet close & adjust the AFR screw to adjust to sweet spot? (I assume u exhausted that avenue first, hence the custom jet)

Edited by Wheeler

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Hey! Glad to see u still around. 

If I understand u correctly, u soldered the jet, then drilled it out, experimenting until it fired up & idled correctly? IF SO, you couldn’t find a stock jet close & adjust the AFR screw to adjust to sweet spot? (I assume u exhausted that avenue first, hence the custom jet)

Yes, keihin went down to 32. Special order was possible for a 30 but I knew it needed to be much smaller that 30 so why waste my time buying it.

• Like 2

@Misterclean Could a torch tip file be used to fine  tune if needed..... Im sure you thought of that idea. That idea of yours is a Slick! Sounds  Great for testing and figuring out the best jet size....and its a new one on me ..... Sure this could help another members in the future..... Thank you for posting this..... I was out in the shop a few ago... And grabbed mine measured it (mic) .46 mm... I have one size smaller its over in the big shop.... 

• Like 1

Yes, a torch tip cleaner can be used to make a jet larger.....in fact my wife's crf 150 has a 100 main that I filed out a little because I "uncorked" it. I learned that Keihin jets are sized/numbered in mm so a 42 is .42mm etc......I converted mm to thousanths when necessary.

• Like 1