BlueJay

Good idea to run carb dry after intermittent use?

I have been working on my 2000 TRX350FE and have a few more things to do to it before I trust it to take me way down into the woods during deer season (which just ended). I don’t plan to use it all that much between now and August when the season comes back in unless I find a convenient place to ride for fun. Is it a good idea to run the carb dry after I do use it?  I am running ethanol free and have a good shutoff valve which I always turn off. Just wondering. 

I certainly don't think it's a bad idea.  Shut the petcock off and let it idle till it dies.

If I know I'm going to have a small engine sitting for a long time, I always try to run it dry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ive done this in the past. Now i kinda worry about any seals drying up. I have no evidence to say they will, but i do know they shrink, ive seen it on petcock rubbers. 

2 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Ive done this in the past. Now i kinda worry about any seals drying up. I have no evidence to say they will, but i do know they shrink, ive seen it on petcock rubbers. 

I've thought about that, but haven't had any issues doing it thus far.  I've let my Evinrude 6 horse outboard sit for years without running it, and it fires right up and runs like a top after being run dry at last use.

Of course, the two stroke would have oil in that gas, so would likely leave an oily film in the fuel system.

I've run my ATV's dry and left for several months with no ill effects....at least so far.

• Like 3

Running dry is not bad. I have a Yamaha Vino 125 scooter its been in storage in Kansas since 2016 ran it dry before I stored it. I decided I want to sell it my son went get it this weekend brought it to his house and it fired right up. 2 people have already called about it should not take long to sell.

• Like 2

I do mine the same have been for years.... Mixed gas models and regular pure gas (if you can all it pure) never have had an issue... And like a few other I'm a die hard stabil (green) user.....makes me happy ( pure sarcasm ) each time i read something like this .... Corn for gas...... Sigh... Talk about an ignorant choice.. When so many people are going hungry.... Let them starve and ruin carbs in the process.... Anyways not to go off the rails too far .... Never had an issue idling one completely out of gas, just a note.... If your going to keep the gas or whats left in the tank.... Be sure to top it back off... Shut the petcock off and add fuel stabilizer.... Now  this might be true or not.... I don't have a clue.... But my old boss LJ (40 plus years being a top Harley Davidson tech/ mechanic,  bike, quad and small engine builder) told a couple riders .... Leave the gas in.. Add stabil...keep the tank topped off to the very top... And go out even once in a while and physically shake the quad bike mower etc etc ...to stir the gas up... Does this work ? Not a clue... I just know he's left gas in some of his collector bikes for years and never had an issue .. And uses ONLY green stabil (marine grade)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I do mine the same have been for years.... Mixed gas models and regular pure gas (if you can all it pure) never have had an issue... And like a few other I'm a die hard stabil (green) user.....makes me happy ( pure sarcasm ) each time i read something like this .... Corn for gas...... Sigh... Talk about an ignorant choice.. When so many people are going hungry.... Let them starve and ruin carbs in the process.... Anyways not to go off the rails too far .... Never had an issue idling one completely out of gas, just a note.... If your going to keep the gas or whats left in the tank.... Be sure to top it back off... Shut the petcock off and add fuel stabilizer.... Now  this might be true or not.... I don't have a clue.... But my old boss LJ (40 plus years being a top Harley Davidson tech/ mechanic,  bike, quad and small engine builder) told a couple riders .... Leave the gas in.. Add stabil...keep the tank topped off to the very top... And go out even once in a while and physically shake the quad bike mower etc etc ...to stir the gas up... Does this work ? Not a clue... I just know he's left gas in some of his collector bikes for years and never had an issue .. And uses ONLY green stabil (marine grade)

Full tank doesn't leave room for air, which will have moisture in it, which leads to condensation in the tank.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Full tank doesn't leave room for air, which will have moisture in it, which leads to condensation in the tank.

Yep..... Exactly! That's just what LJ told them two fellas.....the gas left in there carb smelled like old varnish.... And not even close to worst ones we saw up at  the shop... I don't know if you've done this but back years ago.... Bout a year or so after i got that 85 250a i was headed back to the shop with my big top tool chest on the back rack, ,and she started spitting out bits of bearing parts from the rear end... Well ... I took it up to Johnny's ..... Told him what had happened so .... He said no problem... Well i hung around for a while with the fellas, and Johnny up and says who's fixing to go to columbia .... No one spoke...  I said I'm going to eat with moser at the steak house after while, whats yeah need ? He says drop by central concrete pick me up some concrete acid ...... I didn't ask... Said will do..when you need it ? He says come back tomorrow.. I'll have yours torn down... I said aight .... Cya... In short.... Some kind of hard deposits formed in the bowl of the carb and he used that concrete acid to desolve what ever that mess was.... .... I've never seen him or heard of anyone else doing such..but danged if it didnt strip that mess right out...now we still had leaded gas here back when this took place... I've used aluminum etching acid plenty of times... But never concrete acid.. Least not that I'm aware of....even have acid for cleaning central heat units...anyways .... Enough rambling from me.... Lol! 

• Like 1

Mine is parked 99% of the time from Nov (varies yr to yr if early or late) until April (varies as well). It is parked inside a heated garage & I have never ran it dry. I do add fuel stabilizer & run engine so it get thru carb. I have always done this without any issues. I as well run ethanol free fuel. (Shell 94 octane)

• Like 1

I have source for ethanol free gas where I'm at, which is what I try to run in my seldom used engines...but on my small engines regardless of fuel I run them dry for the winter(if I have time to do it)

Edited by 87Iroc