m172ybn

2001 Foreman 450s display

I have a low mileage, low hour, never abused, very well maintained, garage kept, etc. Foreman 450s.  Yesterday the display was working and today it is not. The neutral light, reverse light and temp light work and the backlight works when the headlights are on. I figure that it needs to be sent to AKATV but I would like to rule anything else out before possibly sending him a display that is not broken.  Is there any way to check the display to verify it is the problem?  Or is there anything else I should check that would rule out another problem that would cause this?  Thank you.

590DBCFE-CE1B-4A06-B61B-730492D1BCF8.jpeg

F47B8606-33CD-4934-AAAA-99F05D13304B.jpeg

I have checked several connectors and so far all have been perfectly clean.  Voltage at the battery when running is 14.5-14.75 depending on rpm.

Edited by m172ybn
Typo

AKATV would be the one to make the call.  Very strange that it worked one day and not the next.  Hopefully a loose connection somewhere that he can resolder.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

AKATV would be the one to make the call.  Very strange that it worked one day and not the next.  Hopefully a loose connection somewhere that he can resolder.

I agree it is strange.  That’s what makes me think it could possibly be something else. I messaged AKATV last night and he has responded. Thank you.

I agree with Jeep, most likely a loose connection or brittle fractured solder joint

Try giving the handlbar grip a good bop or two with you fist while powered, up sometime they will turn on and its a good indication of the above

These meters need to have 12 volts (battery voltage) on the red/black wire as well as the Brown/black wire to fire up properly

Green is ground

I would check at the lower grey harness plug first on both the harness side and speedo side as i see a LOT of corroded,

burnt etc pins in the plug from water intrusion, power washing etc 

If you have the voltages at the grey plug on both sides then I would move to checking at the upper speedometer plugs and circuit board with the top cover removed

I see fractured solder joints on the pins there all the time as well and its an easy fix

Let us all know how you make out

-AKATV

Thank you for the help.  I have been corresponding with AKATV and we have come to the conclusion that the card is bad on my display and would be a fairly expensive fix. But it turns out that every new one I can find for sale is actually on back order.  I did order one with a ship date of February 16. At this point I will be pleasantly surprised if it actually ships. I will post back with the result.  

I ended up finding a speedometer in stock at a dealership In Kentucky so I canceled the one that was on back order.  It arrived today.  I plugged it in and everything works as it should.  

58254AE2-AC15-4D25-B9E0-FDB008B1CA41.jpeg

E659A6B5-6E28-4F79-9043-237B8B8AEE33.jpeg

D0A019E4-A09F-4D98-915D-A8BF03DF0E3A.jpeg

• Like 1

I am sending my old speedometer to AKATV so he can use it for parts to help someone else.  He has been such a help walking me through how to diagnose the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1