Loosemarbles

Rincon oil cover bolt stripped

Well about two wks ago I bought a used rincon 07 model. It has 1600 miles and 260 hrs on it   And old guy was the original owner who only hunted on it. It’s mechanically sound plenty of power shifts good.  Plastics are faded a bit but not to worried about that at the moment. This is the problem I’m having now. I changed the oil and went to take the 12 mm bolt off when I felt it slip. I didn’t want to mess it up any further. What are y’all’s expertise on this. Can I get one of those sockets that grab on to the bolt like a ease out I think. Or weld a nut on top of that and see if it will come off. 

6A077BE2-17F7-498F-BD0C-D9385E1FCC55.jpeg

I'd weld a nut on it if you can't get it out with a good 6 point socket.  Just plan on replacing that bolt and the orings on the cap and bolt.

You can probably get used stuff on ebay pretty cheap.

You are referring to the oil filter cap bolt, correct?

10 hours ago, Loosemarbles said:

Well about two wks ago I bought a used rincon 07 model. It has 1600 miles and 260 hrs on it   And old guy was the original owner who only hunted on it. It’s mechanically sound plenty of power shifts good.  Plastics are faded a bit but not to worried about that at the moment. This is the problem I’m having now. I changed the oil and went to take the 12 mm bolt off when I felt it slip. I didn’t want to mess it up any further. What are y’all’s expertise on this. Can I get one of those sockets that grab on to the bolt like a ease out I think. Or weld a nut on top of that and see if it will come off. 

6A077BE2-17F7-498F-BD0C-D9385E1FCC55.jpeg

a good impact hammer driver tool is a life saver in times like these. is this the main oil drain bolt ?, if it is ?, this is normally a 17mm, not a 12mm. if it is not this bolt ?, then this means the bolt head you are trying to remove is not steel, it is pot metal alum, you can not weld anything to it. a pic is priceless for us to see what you are faced with.

I weld a nut to them. Most of the time they get over torqued and it takes a good amount of pressure to break them loose since they are a big, long "bolt".

53 minutes ago, shadetree said:

a good impact hammer driver tool is a life saver in times like these. is this the main oil drain bolt ?, if it is ?, this is normally a 17mm, not a 12mm. if it is not this bolt ?, then this means the bolt head you are trying to remove is not steel, it is pot metal alum, you can not weld anything to it. a pic is priceless for us to see what you are faced with.

Right Dere!

Rincon.jpg

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'd weld a nut on it if you can't get it out with a good 6 point socket.  Just plan on replacing that bolt and the orings on the cap and bolt.

You can probably get used stuff on ebay pretty cheap.

You are referring to the oil filter cap bolt, correct?

What’s up Man. Yes I’m referring to the oil filter cap bolt. Probably take it to a friend’s shop and work on it. Working nights doesn’t give a fellow much time to do anything. I have my rubicon to ride in the mean time. 

7 hours ago, toodeep said:

I weld a nut to them. Most of the time they get over torqued and it takes a good amount of pressure to break them loose since they are a big, long "bolt".

The previous owner left it uncovered since new. It has some slight surface rust. And to be honest I think it had the original oil in it. It was pretty black to only have 1500 miles on it. Well now at least it has fresh Honda oil in it besides the filter. I can’t understand stand people paying that much money for a rig. Then through negligence or more money than sense Just don’t take care of it. I figured y’all would know how to go about it. Much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Loosemarbles said:

The previous owner left it uncovered since new. It has some slight surface rust. And to be honest I think it had the original oil in it. It was pretty black to only have 1500 miles on it. Well now at least it has fresh Honda oil in it besides the filter. I can’t understand stand people paying that much money for a rig. Then through negligence or more money than sense Just don’t take care of it. I figured y’all would know how to go about it. Much appreciated 👍

Friend of mine has an 06 Rincon that has been ridden hard since new.  It's been a tough machine.  I hate working on it, but anything that can hold up to that particular owner deserves respect LOL.

New Rincons are $$$$$ now, and are pretty much unchanged since 2006.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 11:09 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Right Dere!

Rincon.jpg

yep, alum, you can't weld anything to it. impact driver with a socket ?, or a hammer an chisel to force it loose.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:25 AM, shadetree said:

yep, alum, you can't weld anything to it. impact driver with a socket ?, or a hammer an chisel to force it loose.

I think the center bolt is steel on those, just the cover is aluminum.

@basfnb messed up the one on his Rubicon years ago, and I still give him heck about it. 

Stripped oil filter bolt | Honda Foreman Forums

The reactions in that thread still crack me up.

Well I finally got it off. Went and got some bolt biters from tractor supply’s. I tried to get off with a ratchet bit know go. I cut a pipe 8 inches in length. I had to really bare down on it. Finally it broke loose thinking I broke the head off.  But I got lucky on that one. Actually the bolt isn’t that bad. So I tighten it back up snuggly. I’ve never encountered a bolt that tight. 

• Like 1