John w

Power steering

My Honda 4 trax always starts with power steering on but it cuts out while in use, and it usually reconnects if I stop and turn it off and on but not always .I thought it was fixed as it stayed good when I put in a good battery for a month but it’s back. I am told check contacts so I sprayed areas with WD 40 ,no success any further directions to improve contact?

Hi John , welcome to ATVHonda , which year and model Fourtrax do you have ? >>>>  I never knew that any Fourtraxs come with power steering >>> 

I bought it new at ongmacs ,Lismore Australia must be 9 or 10 years ago

it is   450 cc four wheel or 2 is bay lever, automatic transmission I think the model is known as fourtrax

• Like 1

I had a feeling you were out of the USA <  started to ask that question -----  you'll use different terms and models then we do , Big Red is another name you'll use differently than we do 

If it is a 450 the last one was 2004  ,  but as far as I know it did not have power steering as an option ----  

I would bet it is a 500 Rubicon automatic with power steering and since you say 10 years old , maybe a 2012 , if you look at the vin number , the 10th digit tells the year  , a 2012 would be a C 

here are a few of the year codes in that 8-10 year span , 10th digit of the vin  

2010 A
2011 B
2012 C
2013 D
2014 E
2015 F
2016 G

Wow , sorry to hear that , hope your well soon ----  personally don't have or know alot about power steering , but it is going to help to know the year and  model when someone comes along that does 

Here is a link to a 2012 500 Foreman / Rubicon service manual , might help whilst your laid up 

My guess is it’s a 420 FA.  Does it have independent rear suspension or a solid axle tube in the rear?

@basfnb had a 420FA and his kid hit a telephone pole with the right front wheel and the power steering light stayed on after that.  I messed with it a bit but never could figure it out, and since I don’t have any PS machines I didn’t want to spend a lot of time trying to learn that system.

I have since seen a few people post here and there about their light coming on, and it usually involved an impact/wreck.  If you have any bent components that could create a sort of bind in the system it will throw an error code

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

My guess is it’s a 420 FA.  

420s were called Ranchers --- I learned today Fourtrax Rubicon 

9 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

420s were called Ranchers --- I learned today Fourtrax Rubicon 

I think the rancher was the fourtrax down there. 

We’ll see when OP posts again!