jeepwm69

What are you working on?

19 hours ago, jeffo21 said:

Does cleaning my reels and and relubing the bearings count? ready for spring and the spawn need another wall hanger to match my other one.

IMG_0868.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpg

niiiiice!   with a  pond in my back yard, the fishing season never really ends..and then I was also down at my 2nd home on the coast 2 weekends ago..salt water...mostly whiting/croackers, but some small shark and ray action too...

• Like 1

croackers are my favorite fish to eat fried , I like them filleted and fried  crispy ,  dipped in a mix of ketchup , mustard , Lea and Perrins , horseraddish and  lemon juice ------ down here there is no creel or size limit on  croackers , so you can wear them out ---------- the small ones make great live bait for big speckle trout 

• Like 1

Saturday I was working on a buzz , started early , took pretty much all day ,  finally got it going , felt good getting it done ---- 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

[auote]I was also down at my 2nd home on the coast 2 weekends ago..salt water...mostly whiting/croackers, but some small shark and ray action too...[/quote]

I'll be sending you a PM soon .... :-)

On 1/21/2020 at 3:00 PM, TBRider said:

It will be winter in Australia in august turbo....

It will still be warmer than Ireland so I'm good with that!😁

• Like 2

Still chipping away at my mess an hour or two at a time.

Do these say anything about how long it's been since this place was cleaned out?

shop.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sure does. That can of upper lube would be worth a lot more if you had a can of lower lube to go with it! 😆🤪

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:44 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Got quite a bit done this morning. Worked 5A-10:30 other than a half hour or so to feed the kid. 

FCA87310-28D1-4174-87D5-3DFC77056209.jpeg

D366A43C-7BAA-41FD-9269-CE50AE428822.jpeg

OMG!! there's that old bar stool....we literally had a set of those back in the 60s.. I had forgotten about those til I saw it in your pic...

LOL yep.  We had a bunch of them in my great-uncle's bachelor pad.  One bedroom house with two bathrooms, a closet, and a giant room with a bar running around one corner.  Stove and kitchen sink were built into the bar, and the oven was in the wall.  Built in the late 50's and there were about a dozen of those stools along the bar.  Also had a 60K gallon pool in the front yard.

My mom and grandmother bought it when my uncle moved, since it was more or less behind their houses.  I dropped a pool table in there when I was about 14-15, moved in there the day I graduated from high school, and it became the town hangout from that the early 90's till I moved off about 8-10 years later. Had some epic parties in that place.

They sold the house cheap to our neighbors after I moved off, because they got tired of the upkeep on an empty house.  Wish they'd kept it.  They practically gave it away.  Neighbors rent it out now.  Filled the pool in.

• Like 1

"filled the pool in"...brother..that's soooo what I wanted to do last year with mine...badly needed liner replacement and pump work, so I had shut it down the year before..it had become a frog pond basically....anyway...a year later...money I don't want to think about...some hard fought landscaping, etc...it is back up and looks great...I had never wanted a pool..the wife did...and the house we bought came with one..so there it was...but guess who gets to be the pool boy all the time, and sees the $ in chemicals etc...yep...woulda been sweet to hear the backup tone of a dump truck pulling up with a load of dirt.(grin)

1 hour ago, Bighanded said:

"filled the pool in"...brother..that's soooo what I wanted to do last year with mine...badly needed liner replacement and pump work, so I had shut it down the year before..it had become a frog pond basically....anyway...a year later...money I don't want to think about...some hard fought landscaping, etc...it is back up and looks great...I had never wanted a pool..the wife did...and the house we bought came with one..so there it was...but guess who gets to be the pool boy all the time, and sees the $ in chemicals etc...yep...woulda been sweet to hear the backup tone of a dump truck pulling up with a load of dirt.(grin)

I had to take care of that pool when I was a kid.  When I was 14 some kids jumped the fence, and one of them drowned.  We got sued, and our insurance company said we could no longer let the neighbors use it without a family member present.  At that point both my sister and I were almost grown, so it went a couple years without being filled up.  When I moved in the pool house right after graduation, I wanted to fill the pool up.  The family said I could do so if I kept it up and paid for the chemicals.  It was green after a month because I couldn't afford the chemicals it needed.  After that it sat empty for years and years, and when the neighbor bought it they filled it in.  Liability even with it empty; some dummy falls in and sues you.

I then dated a girl, who took care of another pool across town in exchange for free use of it.  Of course, that meant I ended up taking care of it.  After that ended, I swore I was done with pools.

Moved to go back to school, got a job at a golf course in Jan, and when May rolls around I got "We're going to need you to take care of the pool"

I've learned to hate them.  The wife wants one now.🤬

Was gonna start working on pulling my motor but I have this Elk hanging in my garage. My buddy is coming to deal with it tonight. Want it gone before I start ripping & tearing into atv...

1D183324-FFB6-41E0-B25D-F5753044694E.jpeg

3782CA84-598D-4BBC-AF85-D57AD51EEC61.jpeg

• Like 8

I built in the ground gunite swimming pools for 4 years , I was occasionally repairing equipment for an old guy that had a pool company and was really getting too old to keep doing it , he had everything needed to build pools , excavators , Bobcats , dump trucks , gunite pumps and even his own concrete trucks to pick it up and deliver the gunite  to the job site , so I went to work for him full time and wound up running the crew as well as keeping everything running  , and he made me a silent partner , many pools we would build 1/2 way for other companies , we would dig them , form them , install re-bar , plumbing and electrical stubs , drains , etc and then shoot and finish them in gunite , then turn them over to another construction company to finish them out  , was quicker money with less headaches and less chances of being sued  ,  companies were always getting sued for home owners stupidity 

So I built a very nice pool/spa  in my yard , it was nice having a pool when the kids were younger , but I will never have another pool , a lot of work keeping it clean and cleaning up after everyone else  , lot of  money on buying chemicals , water , electric and natural gas bills ,  and a lot of liability and headaches 

if you are ever going to fill in a concrete pool , it is best to punch multiple holes in the bottom so water can pass thru , if not it can stay wet and mushy and never dry up ------   or  the open drain in the bottom of a drained  pool can get stopped up and the pool can float up out the mud if the water table is high in the area 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I built in the ground gunite swimming pools for 4 years , I was occasionally repairing equipment for an old guy that had a pool company and was really getting too old to keep doing it , he had everything needed to build pools , excavators , Bobcats , dump trucks , gunite pumps and even his own concrete trucks to pick it up and deliver the gunite  to the job site , so I went to work for him full time and wound up running the crew as well as keeping everything running  , and he made me a silent partner , many pools we would build 1/2 way for other companies , we would dig them , form them , install re-bar , plumbing and electrical stubs , drains , etc and then shoot and finish them in gunite , then turn them over to another construction company to finish them out  , was quicker money with less headaches and less chances of being sued  ,  companies were always getting sued for home owners stupidity 

So I built a very nice pool/spa  in my yard , it was nice having a pool when the kids were younger , but I will never have another pool , a lot of work keeping it clean and cleaning up after everyone else  , lot of  money on buying chemicals , water , electric and natural gas bills ,  and a lot of liability and headaches 

if you are ever going to fill in a concrete pool , it is best to punch multiple holes in the bottom so water can pass thru , if not it can stay wet and mushy and never dry up ------   or  the open drain in the bottom of a drained  pool can get stopped up and the pool can float up out the mud if the water table is high in the area 

Yep this one was built in the 50's, so all concrete.  They had someone come with a jackhammer and punch a bunch of holes in it.  It was a PITA to take care of it, but I miss my bachelor pad and the pool.  Youth is wasted on the young.

• Like 2

ok...so this is what I  (with a ton of help)  have been working on since last November...and she's finally back and alive!!  Put it back on the water this past weekend for the first shakedown...it's an old boat, but she has cleaned up well enough....had a guy way smarter than me pull the old merc 305 out and drop in the 350..he built it from block up...Merc rates their 5.7 at about 260hp..so about a 50hp jump from their 5.0..but this guy used to do racing..he is telling me to expect it to be closer to 300hp...and with the more aggressive prop that the motor can support, yeah, when I pushed the trotlle, it just lift us right up on plain so effortlessly...felt so good to be back on it.. this boat has been derelict for about 4 yrs.. I had been working my business so hard and dumping all my spare money into my house on the coast..which we sold this last year..so time for me to just enjoy myself a bit more now..and restoring my old boat..well, it's a restoration of my sould as well...

DD2_refurbed.jpeg

• Like 3

Out working in the shop again early this morning.

Several years ago a friend of mine bought an 06 Foreman FM that needed some work.  I got it going for him, but what he thought was a popping CV ended up being the weak 1st gear in the 05-08 Foremans, so I told him I'd get to it sooner or later, and for a few years now he's been riding and just having to start out in 2nd (he's running 26" Mudbugs, so not really a problem).

Now that my shop's cleaned out, I decided to go ahead and get it done.  I had a 2011 bottom end I picked up probably 4-5 years ago sitting in the floor of my shop, and since it has the upgraded first gear in it I figured i'd go through it, swap it into his bike, and then I can go through his 06 motor after I've done the swap.  I got a Warn winch from him a while back, and told him I would cover the new low gear set and installation, but he'd be on the hook for gaskets, timing chain, seals, and top end work.

So I've torn down the 2011 bottom end.  Crank is bad🤬  Bottom had no play, but the top end of the rod has some slack with a new wrist pin, so no bueno.  When I bought it I checked the crank for play and it didn't have any up and down movement so I thought it was good.  Didn't check the wrist pin end!  STUPID!

I had a rebuilt 500 crank from Mr. Crankshaft on hand already, so guess I'm going to use that.  Assuming his crank is good, I'll put a new 1st gear, seals, and timing chain in his bottom end and it will be ready to go.  If his crank has any play in it, he's going to have to pay to have that crank rebuilt. 

Anyhow, this morning I dumped some ATF in my parts cleaner (thanks for that advice @toodeep), and got the inside of the cases cleaned out.  Lots of piston bits and ring pieces in the bottom end.  Obviously a catastrophic failure.  The drain plug wasn't broken off like so many are, and the clutch adjustment screw wasn't seized, so after a good soak and brush out, the inside of the cases are ready to go.  Bearings feel good.  I got the crank bearing pulled off with my crappy cheap china tool I got on Amazon, so tomorrow I'll try to get the rebuilt crank, balancer, and transmission installed in the middle cases. 

I have an 07 500ES motor sitting in the floor too.  I decided that I'd see if the crank was good in it, just so I wouldn't have to use my freshly rebuilt crank in my buddy's motor, but when I got the top end off the piston pin was seized to the rod, so that gives me a 99.9999% chance that that crank will also need a rebuild.  I tried using a bolt, washers, and a nut to pull the wrist pin out and it bent the crap out of all the stacked washers, so pretty sure it's done.  I started cutting the piston off with a cut-off wheel and ran out of wheel, and didn't have another cutting wheel handy so had to stop for the morning and get ready for work.

When I tear into the 06 bottom end, and that 07 ES bottom end (it's going in a bike I'm going to flip) I'll post up a pic of the old style weak 05-08 first gear next to the newer low gear set that's in the 09-11 models.

case.jpg

• Like 2

Editing to add, if you look at the left side of that engine case you can see the oil drain plug design, and when you strip out the drain plug on a 420 or 05-11 Foreman, that little metal bit breaks off, and the case there is really too thin to rethread (it will just strip out again) so that's why you have to be VERY careful and not overtighten the drain plugs on these machines.  If you break the top part off there it's case replacement time!

case.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Editing to add, if you look at the left side of that engine case you can see the oil drain plug design, and when you strip out the drain plug on a 420 or 05-11 Foreman, that little metal bit breaks off, and the case there is really too thin to rethread (it will just strip out again) so that's why you have to be VERY careful and not overtighten the drain plugs on these machines.  If you break the top part off there it's case replacement time!

case.jpg

Jeep, its time for some more pics of the shop.

😂

• Haha 1

77947390-6F59-4D32-B859-A78840A4DE9E.jpeg0FF60486-99EF-4BF7-BA3F-B246B00A4420.jpeg

I've never measured it, but I think my shed is 10x10. Need to do a little but of insulating yet. The -30F days are no fun to fiddle around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRX Student said:

Jeep, its time for some more pics of the shop.

😂

I'll try to get one this weekend.  It's better!  Still a little junky, but better!

Had to take the little one to the zoo Saturday, but got a few minutes yesterday between church and when the rain moved in.

Picked up a 2006 500ES with a blown motor a couple months ago.  Plan is to rebuild the motor, and flip it. 

When I got it the top end was off, cylinder is missing a chunk, and the seller said the piston is in pieces in the bottom end. 

Yesterday I got the bottom end pulled and tucked into the shop.  Hopefully by the end of the week the crank I sent off will be back and I can get this one put together and sold off. 

Front and rear bearings are tight, plastics are in decent shape (yellow) and it really looks like the only thing this one might need other than the engine is  going through the rear brake and getting the fan working properly (someone wired it up to run any time the key is on).

yellow.jpg

• Like 2

I've been busy at work these days, not getting much of a chance to finish my trailer (weather still a bit too cold to paint the frame).

I ordered 2 new rims with tyres for the trailer, it was cheaper than just getting new tyres for the old rims! I also bought a new hitch as the one off the old trailer is extremely stiff and hard to open when on the tow ball.

Spent the evening ply lining the back of a friends new van, with a small shelf for hand tools, what a pain in the !!!

20200303_215044.jpg

• Like 1

The damages a $3 seal can cause (ran out of oil). 

20200325_182438.jpg

20200325_182307.jpg

• Like 4