jeepwm69

What are you working on?

yep...the ol honda trail bikes...it's a love/enslavement thing...

when they work well, it'll bring a smile to your face and can amaze you with it's offroad trail prowest for such a small engine.

on the pavement, you feel like an underpowered moped and drivers treat you as such.

when it decides to cough out on you and you're still a handful of miles from your driveway out on some back country road...yeah..you start speaking in tongues and swear that as soon as you get it running right again, you'll sell it to the first sucker who comes along...and then you fix the problem, take it for a spin, and come back with that same stupid smile on your face..and the bike remains with you for another year, and another.

right now, my carb is leaking gas..sometimes (needle sticking I guess), when I put it up..not always..

and it's been sitting for months..but if I pulled it out, had any kind of charge on the battery, I could kick it a couple times and she'd be ready to go.

we've not gone on any camping trips this year with the covid thing...so there's been no bumper rides for the lil honda.. I love to have it to tour around back country roads, or into small tourist trap cities where the posted speed might be 25 and traffic is so dense that even doing that 25 isn't always possible...tourist shop hopping and cruising..that's where that little bike shines..and around here on my trails..it's a lot of fun...have even gone on the area ATV park trails with it.asked it to do more than I should have ever...and yet it brought me home...so whatdaya do?...you keep it, toss in some love every now and then and go ride...

man that 250 reminds me of those Yamaha big wheel deals.. I really wanted one of those when they came out...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATC4ever said:

That XL.. be good in the sand pits, i imagine the chain isnt on there for a reason? 😄 🤨

Good eye ATV4 ------ Yes , the chains ( 2)  are both off as it has  a  jack shaft , which is also off in that pick , the main out put shaft where the primary sprocket attaches to the shaft had  a squared end , that end got stripped ,  I have the new shaft , new sprockets , new chains , everything is there to put it all back together 

I done a  lot of work on  it , the rims have been modified for easy air fill , hubs modified for heaver duty bearings , the speedometer drive has been fitted as it was not installed , new bearings seals and brake front and back , all the blinkers and tail light was gone and it was a strictly dirt bike 

What is really cool is this XL's engine is really a MotorSport 250SL engine from the factory , which is a bit more performance 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

man that 250 reminds me of those Yamaha big wheel deals.. I really wanted one of those when they came out...

I too always wanted a Fat Cat , they were only built for 2 years 86 and 87 ----------  when this bike found me after being in a barn in Lacombe for 40 years and the guy said $300  ,   I had a hard time keeping my poker face ,  it only has 2,200 miles on it , his son had this bike shipped to California to have the kit built and installed and shipped back , so he put some money into it , then joined the armed services and never touched it again 

• Like 1

currently waiting on cylinder for a 1984 atc125m so i can put it back together. brought a trx500tm, motor needs going through, still in the back of my truck right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oh400ex said:

Ok I wanna buy it now 😂

That $300 was a lot of work and parts ago , would you go $325 -- LOL 

• Haha 1

Just now, shadetree said:

currently waiting on cylinder for a 1984 atc125m so i can put it back together. brought a trx500tm, motor needs going through, still in the back of my truck right now.

What's the plans for the 500 motor ? 

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

What's the plans for the 500 motor ? 

don't know yet ?, have not ripped it apart, still in the back of my truck as of right now, can't get it in my shop until i get the atc125m out of there.

Finally pulled the trigger on a parts washer.

Questions for y'all who run P1000...

First few minutes of using it and I can tell it isn't Aloe Vera. Do you use Nitrile rubber gloves? Nothing?

Do I need to weather strip the lid to prevent evaporation? It smells like "low odor mineral spirits" and would guess that it is something very similar...

Any tips? What kind of heater do you guys run? 

Something I should do or not do? 

Thanks for reading!

20200914_171528.jpg

30 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Finally pulled the trigger on a parts washer.

Questions for y'all who run P1000...

First few minutes of using it and I can tell it isn't Aloe Vera. Do you use Nitrile rubber gloves? Nothing?

Do I need to weather strip the lid to prevent evaporation? It smells like "low odor mineral spirits" and would guess that it is something very similar...

Any tips? What kind of heater do you guys run? 

Something I should do or not do? 

Thanks for reading!

20200914_171528.jpg

no gloves here, i'm used to it. no heater, keep the lid closed, it will be fine. deff add a elbow with some pipe to run it off to the side in order to drain/clean. that stupid filler plug is not very good for draining/cleaning !. also, put a shut off valve some where on the pipe line.

• Like 2

It does have a burning sensation to it , after you use it a few times , the burn goes away , LOL 

• Like 1

changed the steel flexible tube to a hose with a flow thru brush on the end ---------   cut a heavier plate for the tray  as I clasped the original , added the drain valve like Shade mentioned for draining it , added a filter ---and replaced the pump as my buddy left it on and it ran for 3-4 days straight before I tried to use it again , I got some pics on a thread some where on here 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks like I have the same cleaner , did a couple of mods to it 

I plan on adding a drain like shade mentioned that includes an oil filter in the line.

Heating pad going to be attached to the bottom of the tub with a few magnets. I have had awesome results with that in the past.

Just turn on the heater about an hour before you go to clean and it makes a WORLD of difference. This was using some other solvent but not sure what... the washer would fume a bit though and it sketched me out. Don't think it will be an issue with this solvent... never going to get it over 120F or even close...

Read about ATF. Should I add some? How much did y'all put? Using 10 gallons of P1000

Edited by oh400ex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oh400ex said:

I plan on adding a drain like shade mentioned that includes an oil filter in the line.

Heating pad going to be attached to the bottom of the tub with a few magnets. I have had awesome results with that in the past.

Just turn on the heater about an hour before you go to clean and it makes a WORLD of difference. This was using some other solvent but not sure what... the washer would fume a bit though and it sketched me out. Don't think it will be an issue with this solvent... never going to get it over 120F or even close...

Read about ATF? Should I add some? How much did y'all put? Using 10 gallons of P1000

I didn't add any , think it is going to get oil and grease naturally 

• Thanks 1

I put a quart of ATF in mine, at @toodeep's recommendation.  Seemed to help a little. 

I also plumbed in an oil filter on mine between the pump and the nozzle.  Haven't changed the filter yet, but hopefully it is catching some of the gun.

I also moved the shelf to the bottom of the feet (gives you room to store the empty P1000 cans on there), added a ball valve where the drain plug used to be, and bolted the whole thing to a harbor fright furniture dolley so I can roll it around/ move it if I need to.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

Where are the pics?!  We have rules here!

• Like 1

I'm still nickel and dime-ing away on this Foreman.  Got the rear brake exposed last night but ran out of daylight.  Am going to swap some new pads on there and see if that helps with the rear brake. 

I also have a slow leak on one of the rear tires.  Going to knock the tire down and clean and grease the bead thoroughly.  I sprayed the tire down with soapy water and don't see anything so I'm pretty sure it's a slow bead leak.

Once I get the rear brakes straightened out, and that rim cleaned up, all that's left to do is a clean up, run it a little to make sure everything's good, and then it goes to the block. 

• Like 1

Working on.. well, today before 7am i lit a small fire in the wood stove, vacuumed (again) the oil furnace air filter section before putting it back together then turned the oil tank on & plugged it in. Came on right away. Then later got the toilet (been here since 1967) unclogged thank God... & got the 2 snowmobiles i have here going, since last March.

& its not even 2pm yet! Frigging winter! 😒 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Working on.. well, today before 7am i lit a small fire in the wood stove, vacuumed (again) the oil furnace air filter section before putting it back together then turned the oil tank on & plugged it in. Came on right away. Then later got the toilet (been here since 1967) unclogged thank God... & got the 2 snowmobiles i have here going, since last March.

& its not even 2pm yet! Frigging winter! 😒 

Thats a long time to leave the toilet clogged up. 😷🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Where are the pics?!  We have rules here!

ask for, and you shall receive !, here is the trx500tm. not mine, a project bike for marvin ( catfish ).

IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Sent you a text Shade.  Got another "zoom" interweb meeting for work at 1:30

thanks, i got it, answered it.

22 hours ago, shadetree said:

no gloves here, i'm used to it

22 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

It does have a burning sensation to it , after you use it a few times , the burn goes away , LOL 

You guys are crazy! lol

My second time using the parts washer without gloves did not go as well as it could 🤣

Ended up with a really odd (light) burning and tingling sensation mostly on my wrists and the back of my hands.

Best way to describe the sensation was a stronger version of what if feels like when the hair on the back of your hand is blowing in the wind or a fan.

After doing the google, apparently it is pretty common deal and most people say what you guys do (that it does go away / you build an immunity to it)

The explanation I read made total sense. They basically said all the oil from your skin is gone and some of the solution made it into your pores.

Wasn't painful but certainly not pleasant either.

I'll be wearing black Nitrile from now on though... probably will just end up as wet suit for the stuff after a few minutes but we'll give it a shot

20 minutes ago, oh400ex said:
23 hours ago, shadetree said:

no gloves here, 

Yea same, tho i may have the odd time. They never told us the difference in high school shop class 😄