jeepwm69

What are you working on?

38 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

You guys are crazy! lol

My second time using the parts washer without gloves did not go as well as it could 🤣

Ended up with a really odd (light) burning and tingling sensation mostly on my wrists and the back of my hands.

Best way to describe the sensation was a stronger version of what if feels like when the hair on the back of your hand is blowing in the wind or a fan.

After doing the google, apparently it is pretty common deal and most people say what you guys do (that it does go away / you build an immunity to it)

The explanation I read made total sense. They basically said all the oil from your skin is gone and some of the solution made it into your pores.

Wasn't painful but certainly not pleasant either.

I'll be wearing black Nitrile from now on though... probably will just end up as wet suit for the stuff after a few minutes but we'll give it a shot

you coulda saved yourself from typing out all that ^^..and just said i can't do it..i'm a wuss, i need gloves !...lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you coulda saved yourself from typing out all that ^^..and just said i can't do it..i'm a wuss, i need gloves !...lol.

That's some tuff talk from Mr. Shade "I don't wanna walk out of the woods when my china part fails me" Tree 🤣

Your poor legs lol

17 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

That's some tuff talk from Mr. Shade "I don't wanna walk out of the woods when my china part fails me" Tree 🤣

Your poor legs lol

so now your not only gonna be a wuss..but china wuss ??..lol. no..really...it will not hurt ya..been using it for over 5 yrs now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, oh400ex said:

Your poor legs lol

You must have been one of them kids that poked ant piles with a stick , me too !!!  Carry on , LOL 

• Haha 4

On 9/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, Fishfiles said:

That $300 was a lot of work and parts ago , would you go $325 -- LOL 

If that's Canadian $, I'm in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well as I suspected...

Unless I was wearing long gloves the parts washing liquid was going to make its way in anyway.

About 10 minutes in I stripped the wet gloves off and kept going for a few more minutes.

No reaction this time. A bit spooky actually as it was pretty pronounced last time...

So in summary...

P1000 parts washing liquid will react with your skin causing the slight burning and tingling sensation but after being exposed three separate times it completely goes away.

I spent $100 on the washer from TSC, $15 on brushes, and $60 for 10 gallons of P1000

As a side note, the fuse-able link (as it comes) is a joke. The flexible hose that disperses the liquid holds the lid open...

I will be doing like Fish suggested and adding a pass through brush. That will not only make it easier but safer too.

7 minutes ago, oh400ex said:

Well as I suspected...

Unless I was wearing long gloves the parts washing liquid was going to make its way in anyway.

About 10 minutes in I stripped the wet gloves off and kept going for a few more minutes.

No reaction this time. A bit spooky actually as it was pretty pronounced last time...

So in summary...

P1000 parts washing liquid will react with your skin causing the slight burning and tingling sensation but after being exposed three separate times it completely goes away.

I spent $100 on the washer from TSC, $15 on brushes, and $60 for 10 gallons of P1000

As a side note, the fuse-able link (as it comes) is a joke. The flexible hose that disperses the liquid holds the lid open...

I will be doing like Fish suggested and adding a pass through brush. That will not only make it easier but safer too.

What I told you , after a few exposures , you get immune --- I got a pair of gloves that go up to your elbows , but I don't use them ---this is a flow thru brush , it comes with a hose that will slide over the flex tube , I took that tube off , installed a hose barb into the pump and used rubber hose to the brush , much more flexible, about $25  image.png

58 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

What I told you , after a few exposures , you get immune --- I got a pair of gloves that go up to your elbows , but I don't use them ---this is a flow thru brush , it comes with a hose that will slide over the flex tube , I took that tube off , installed a hose barb into the pump and used rubber hose to the brush , much more flexible, about $25  image.png

Didn't know you could add these after the fact. I need one. I use the PSC 1000 and I can tell you it will eat a thick rubber glove over time. I made sure to get a set rated for chemicals this time. I never used gloves of any kind up until 6 years ago. I always had terrible cracked finger tips. Being a mechanic, that is torture in itself. Also working on garbage trucks now I won't touch one without them.  The liquids that leak out the body's from the dumpsters will eat the concrete on our floors. 

• Like 1

You really should wear gloves , your skin is like a sponge , it sucks fluids in , your liver is like your oil filter , you don't get an oil change , I have quite a few friends over the years that were mechanics that died of liver failure and cancer , true some where heavy drinkers and may have had an effect on it , some thing is going to kill you for sure 

3 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Didn't know you could add these after the fact. I need one. I use the PSC 1000 and I can tell you it will eat a thick rubber glove over time. I made sure to get a set rated for chemicals this time. I never used gloves of any kind up until 6 years ago. I always had terrible cracked finger tips. Being a mechanic, that is torture in itself. Also working on garbage trucks now I won't touch one without them.  The liquids that leak out the body's from the dumpsters will eat the concrete on our floors. 

I worked with a guy that worked for a garbage collection  company and he told me some horror stories -------- called Mike Rowe/ dirty Jobs to do a show , I was watching him a little while ago , my job is dirty but not funky , well some times it can be 

My hands look amazing good right now , they have been a mess in the past , so sore from cracks and cuts I could barley squeeze them , cuticles with deep cracks ,  I use Dab-A-Do hand cleaner , great stuff , locally made in Arabi ,La , I don't think there is any better hand cleaner  , smells great and cleans well and it don't dry them hands out  and always have a can of Bert's Bee Wax Hand Paste , that stuff is awesome , kind of expensive but it goes a long way , I spend a small fortune every month on gloves ,paper towels , rags hand cleaner , etc , I can go thru 100 pair of them black nitriles in a week when I am busy --------- 

when my buddy died from liver failure about 10 years ago now and his dad was telling me at the wake that he thought it was all the years of him being a mechanic that collected in his liver and killed him , he scared me  ,  he worked in a shop with a Safety Clean wash tank  and rebuilt transmissions all day , he never wore gloves and I can remember  his hands being a mess   -------- 

as much as I can I wear them black nitrile gloves when it is juicy with oil and grease and leather gloves when it is dry and rough , but I know I suck up my fair share of toxins , I don't wear gloves with the PCS1000 , it dries out your hands big time 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I worked with a guy that worked for a garbage collection  company and he told me some horror stories -------- called Mike Rowe/ dirty Jobs to do a show , I was watching him a little while ago , my job is dirty but not funky , well some times it can be 

My hands look amazing good right now , they have been a mess in the past , so sore from cracks and cuts I could barley squeeze them , cuticles with deep cracks ,  I use Dab-A-Do hand cleaner , great stuff , locally made in Arabi ,La , I don't think there is any better hand cleaner  , smells great and cleans well and it don't dry them hands out  and always have a can of Bert's Bee Wax Hand Paste , that stuff is awesome , kind of expensive but it goes a long way , I spend a small fortune every month on gloves ,paper towels , rags hand cleaner , etc , I can go thru 100 pair of them black nitriles in a week when I am busy --------- 

when my buddy died from liver failure about 10 years ago now and his dad was telling me at the wake that he thought it was all the years of him being a mechanic that collected in his liver and killed him , he scared me  ,  he worked in a shop with a Safety Clean wash tank  and rebuilt transmissions all day , he never wore gloves and I can remember  his hands being a mess   -------- 

as much as I can I wear them black nitrile gloves when it is juicy with oil and grease and leather gloves when it is dry and rough , but I know I suck up my fair share of toxins , I don't wear gloves with the PCS1000 , it dries out your hands big time 

Other than body parts, I have seen most everything I could in a front loader. It is even better when I have to drain the " juice" out of a truck in the dry bed. The dry bed is where our sewer jet dumps its contents to dry out so it can be disposed of. Used condoms, tampon tips, etc all over the place and here I am trying to wash it all down with everything else that has been collected above ground in the city. We have wondered what the result would be if we sent a sample out to be tested of what comes out of these trucks. Probably have us in hazmat suits. I pretty much am at a job I said I wish I had as far as working at a fleet shop and no longer have pesky customer waiting on their vehicles. The pay is decent for this area to be a mechanic and not be at a chain store. There is only one job I am waiting to come open for a local co-op in the shop to get away from this work. Guy is supposed to retire at the end of the year. I was hoping to retire at 62 but I might could do it at 67 at this place if my body would allow me. They pay would be a big boost and benefits are just as good. My father in law worked there 36 years but we will see.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

We have wondered what the result would be if we sent a sample out to be tested of what comes out of these trucks. Probably have us in hazmat suits.

I'd be curious too... i have a friend who works at the water treatment plant in columbia ... he was telling me of a shots they were required   to have before working there, one was of corse tetanus vaccine ,  the other was hepatitis vaccine, he was not suppose to speak, of what he saw ... but did to me and a few friends after he left the job... the things he described were just horrifying! 

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'd be curious too... i have a friend who works at the water treatment plant in columbia ... he was telling me of a shots they were required   to have before working there, one was of corse tetanus vaccine ,  the other was hepatitis vaccine, he was not suppose to speak, of what he saw ... but did to me and a few friends after he left the job... the things he described were just horrifying! 

We got a series of shots when I started. Hep B was a 3 series of shots and the Tetanus.  Good thing is that I got cut in the back of the sewer jet a few months ago. I have been getting blood drawn the last few months to keep getting checked. Had TP and needles in the back of the truck. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

We got a series of shots when I started. Hep B was a 3 series of shots and the Tetanus.  Good thing is that I got cut in the back of the sewer jet a few months ago. I have been getting blood drawn the last few months to keep getting checked. Had TP and needles in the back of the truck. 

yeah i would reckon with the Drug problems out there ... hypodermic needles would be a big issue... even law enforcement, and fire rescue .. etc have a very tuff job .. IMO ... y'all don't get payed enough to do those dangerous jobs ... I've been stuck a few times working cattle ... and it's always a thought .. did the cattle vaccine . help, or hurt me ... 

i have a friend who works at local trash collection ... had to fix his ham radio ... we had talked alot ... i asked him out of the blue one day ... do y'all ever see hypodermic needles he said oh yeah... but they didnt come from any medical medical department ... 

I always wear gloves and sometimes a respirator with organic vapor cartridge when cleaning parts. For this stuff, you can wear gloves and face shield in a well ventilated space. Consider putting a clothes hook near your washer with a box of nitrile gloves, rubber apron, face shield and maybe a respirator with purple cartridge 

i looked up the Safety Data Sheet your solvent but had problems not knowing exactly what it was—
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal?

https://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/1003682E.pdf

• Like 2

anyways ...my 3 year old HVAC system went down over the weekend thank goodness it has a ten year warranty ... so.... i now have the gas logs fired up for the colder days ... i know what the issue is ...compressor / pump ... but why it would fail just after 3 years .. when the old unit lasted more then 35 years ... they just don't make things to last anymore ... i could do this job myself but i don't have the tools, or a license. I've done no telling how many cooling systems on tractors .. cars semis .. but not a HVAC system ..

• Like 1

i got the unit repaired ... ended up being a capacitor.... i just hope this doesn't happen during the colder months ahead ... it gets cold in the big house ... lol. especially when that north cuts down. 

• Like 1

Pulled this old KE250 motor apart today finally, had the thing for a few months. Looks like someone put a 'too small' piston in it -_- 

KE250 cyl.jpg

• Like 2

On November 8, 2020 at 3:34 PM, ATC4ever said:

Pulled this old KE250 motor apart today finally, had the thing for a few months. Looks like someone put a 'too small' piston in it -_- 

KE250 cyl.jpg

it actually looks like the piston was the right size for the jug, but it's hard to see from the pic, have any updates on this project ? 

The piston would wiggle back & forth, & I could spin the crank over via kick starter with my hand lol.. Measuring the bore & piston & there was a few mm or so difference. I went to the local engine/machine shop & they couldnt source any, so i looked online & found out the 1984 CR250R piston was the same diameter & pin size, so i got my buddy that wrenches at the Honda shop to source me one. Wiseco is likely it, & not till the new year 🤧😷 JUST Yesterday i put the bike in the building out back of the yard to get it out of the way of the garage.

Edited by ATC4ever
  • Like 1

Been working on my Xterra putting on a lift kit last week while I was on vacation...

New rear springs, struts, shocks, and a couple of other parts.

Xterra-old.jpg

xterra-new.jpg

• Like 2

Wow digging through the vaults! Again...

So i couldnt source a piston for that old KE250, with out buying 6 -_- ... so i put it back together & put it up for sale. 

Been frigging with the old Tundra to get it up to snuff again. Everything from welding an exhaust, new grill, new rear shocks, flushed the trans, sprayed it underneath, adjust the rear brakes & replace the front pads & changed the steering column cover...did i miss anything? Oh, new frame, steering rack & rad as per Toyota. Though i had to pay for the latter 2. Plus fixing up a bicycle for the g/f & changing the rear wheel bearing on the Rincon. 😮 

truck front.jpg

ke1.jpg

• Like 3