jeepwm69

What are you working on?

This morning the kid woke up and started fussing at 5:30.  Wife kicked me and said "Do you want me to get up with her?".  I replied "See if she goes back to sleep" and that didn't fly "She's been fussing for awhile" so I got up, warmed up a bottle, and by then, of course, kid was back asleep.  I went ahead and fed her, put her back in her crib, and headed out to the shop.

Bought this Harbor Freight parts washer probably 12-15 months ago, and FINALLY put it together.  I did some common upgrades to it; bolted it to a furniture dolly (also from HF), moved the shelf to the bottom of the legs so I could put the two solvent cans below, added a ball valve and hose to the drain so that I can easily drain the fluid back into a bucket or can, and added an oil filter (uses a cheap ST8 screw-on oil filter) so that I the fluid being pumped will be filtered, hopefully prolonging the life of the solvent.  I'll probably take those sheet metal screws out and use small bolts and nuts once I get my bench cleaned off and hopefully get some organization with all my fasteners.

The parts washer was $100 or so.  The upgrades and solvent cost as much as the parts washer, but it should save me a lot of time and money over time.  I've used aerosol starter fluid to clean engine cases etc up until now, and at $2.75/ can, with the average bottom end needing 10 cans, this is a much better setup.

I need a  biggish drill bit to drill two holes for my 7/16" lines, which will run from pump to filter, and then from filter to the pex fitting I have the spout attached to.  Then just attach the lines and it'll be ready to use.

I also worked a bit more on my workbench this morning.  I'm slowly putting tools in my toolboxes, and need to get some bolt bins as I have fasteners everywhere, and I need to sort them by size so that I don't have to dig for 5 minutes every time I need a bolt or nut. 

filter.jpg

washer.jpg

bench.jpg

Edited by jeepwm69
  • Like 4

That should be an good setup for your use. I'm a daily user of mine so it gets added to a few times before a good cleaning and all new solvent. 

Since you asked I will answer. JUNK... lol The muffler was holding most of this together. 

20200115_124012.jpg

20200115_134304.jpg

• Like 2

What kind of solvent are you planning to use? Im gunna be doing upgrades like that in the future for sure. I have the summit version of the same exact parts washer. Paid 40 bucks for it on craigslist. It was never used. Had to free up the pump and drop double what i paid for it in solvent lol. That stuff is expensive.

14 minutes ago, toodeep said:

That should be an good setup for your use. I'm a daily user of mine so it gets added to a few times before a good cleaning and all new solvent. 

Since you asked I will answer. JUNK... lol The muffler was holding most of this together. 

20200115_124012.jpg

20200115_134304.jpg

Yikes!  That's a rusty Rubicon.

You parting it out, or swapping frames?

8 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

What kind of solvent are you planning to use? Im gunna be doing upgrades like that in the future for sure. I have the summit version of the same exact parts washer. Paid 40 bucks for it on craigslist. It was never used. Had to free up the pump and drop double what i paid for it in solvent lol. That stuff is expensive.

I'm using this stuff. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal

I nosed around for quite a while trying to figure out what to use.  This stuff supposedly works well and has a high flash point.  Doesn't smell horrible either (wife HATED starter fluid, because I couldn't get the smell off of me when I used it). 

Took two 5 gal cans to fill to the top of the pump.  Wife got me the two cans for my birthday back in October.  Just now got around to actually pouring them in the washer LOL.

• Like 1

Doing a frame swap. It only has a little over 20,000 miles on it so it still has a lot of life left in it.

I use to get solvent in 55 gallon drums and all they said on them was "petroleum distillates, solvent". My supplier quit me so now I'm at the mercy of the farm and fleet store an I think all it says on those cans is parts cleaning solvent. Pretty much just mineral spirits is what it smell like. In the way past stanisol (sp?) is what we used. I tried those ones you mix with water and IMO I would have been better off with dawn dish soap. You need those chemicals to dry out the skin and clean the parts good.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm using this stuff. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal

I nosed around for quite a while trying to figure out what to use.  This stuff supposedly works well and has a high flash point.  Doesn't smell horrible either (wife HATED starter fluid, because I couldn't get the smell off of me when I used it). 

Took two 5 gal cans to fill to the top of the pump.  Wife got me the two cans for my birthday back in October.  Just now got around to actually pouring them in the washer LOL.

I use the same stuff lol

Does work well!

• Like 1

Worked in the shop some more this morning. 

With all of the piling up I've done for the last 3-4 years, apparently I had gotten confused about what I had and what I didn't

Found a plastic basket full of 07-13 420 knuckles.  For a while you could get them from PSN for $30 or so.  Now a used one runs $85,and new ones are $165ish.  This is a good thing, because that's the route I've decided to go on these 300's I've picked up, and looks like I can stop searching for, and paying $$$ for knuckles.  I SHOULD have enough based on my count this morning.

The bad news is, I thought I had a bunch of 05-11 Foreman knuckles, and turns out I only have one extra (have three, but I have an 07 I need to put back together to flip).  I used some on my wife's uncle's 450, and sold a set or two along the way.  Need to keep an eye out for some cheap ones to keep spares on hand.  When I need to do bearings I like to just have a set of knuckles ready to go with new bearings and ball joints already in them.  Speeds up the process when you can just swap them out.

I also found a Random set of what I think are 14-up Rancher or Foreman knuckles.  I think I bought these from a local kid who said they were 420 knuckles, and I didn't realize they were the new ones.   Big ball joint up top and bottom, and the Foreman bearing.  @toodeepany idea of there would be any problem running these on an 05-07?  The  ball joints are the same size so they'll fit, just seem to recall that the way the axle and hub went together was different on the newer machines.

Anyhow, making progress out there.  Have a 350D diff soaking in my parts cleaner and I can tell it is going to be something I use all the time. 

Ordered some bolt bins yesterday so I can organize my fasteners in one of the toolbox drawers.

Have to have the kids at church at 4:30 in the morning.  They're going to East TN to "Strength to Stand" and leaving early, so will drop them off, come back home and feed the baby, and hopefully she'll sleep for awhile and I'll be able to work some more tomorrow morning.

Edited by jeepwm69
  • Like 1

I need a parts washer like that 😫

Just got done this week changing the 'skid' on the ole RX-1 to a Ski Doo SC10-iii one. Hopefully its worth the hassle.

RX susp.jpg

RX done.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I also found a Random set of what I think are 14-up Rancher or Foreman knuckles.  I think I bought these from a local kid who said they were 420 knuckles, and I didn't realize they were the new ones.   Big ball joint up top and bottom, and the Foreman bearing.  @toodeepany idea of there would be any problem running these on an 05-07?  The  ball joints are the same size so they'll fit, just seem to recall that the way the axle and hub went together was different on the newer machines.

So looked at the parts cross-reference.

05-11 Foreman wheel bearings are 30x54x24

14-up Foreman bearings 27x55x32

If I read bearings correctly, that means that the inner race on the bearing is smaller on the newer models, so the 05-11 Axles would be too big to fit through the bearing.  The newer model bearings are also 1mm larger in outside diameter, and much thicker.

That sound right?  First number is inner race, second is outer race, and last number is thickness?

I still think these knuckles would go on at the ball joints, but the CVs would have to be changed as well, and I'm not sure if the newer Foreman CV's would be the right length, OR if the newer style CV's would fit in the 05-11 Front diff.

More than likely I'll just put new ball joints and bearings in them and sell them, and get some 05-11 knuckles.  I will say that thicker bearing would probably last longer.  That would be nice.

Axle and hubs are different on they newer ones. Axle shaft where the hub sits is larger, hub is smaller and they use the no seal type of knuckles (sealed bearing only).

• Thanks 1

So you'd have to swap knuckles, hub/rotors, and CV's.  Wonder if the newer CV stubs are the same size as the older machines?  Even then, are they the same length as the older CVs?

I'm guessing those sealed bigger bearings hold up a lot better though, correct?

Got quite a bit done this morning. Worked 5A-10:30 other than a half hour or so to feed the kid. 

FCA87310-28D1-4174-87D5-3DFC77056209.jpeg

D366A43C-7BAA-41FD-9269-CE50AE428822.jpeg

• Like 3

Going to get this crap out of the way. Some of Dad’s crap that’s encroaching.

One thing I gotta figure out where to put my gas jugs. I had them stacked around a table saw that I’ve gotten rid of. Guess I’ll have to get some shelves

D09A02FC-56A9-40A5-A457-7FF7279ED01A.jpeg

635E9D25-E06E-4CBE-A41E-38F927243229.jpeg

• Like 2

You better hope there's NO earth quake ........ While your in there ..... On a note...... I sure would like to pick through all them goodies ....  If y'all ever ?? Have a sale ?? (HINT HINT)  ..... Be sure to let me know! 

Have a few things I am working on in My small space,  a 2001 YZ125 tear down selling usable parts on eBay,  a 2001 300ex engine that just came in torn down but with some parts to make live again,, a 2001 400ex engine stuffed on a side bench waiting for parts, a 2016 CRF450R for a few small repairs !

103_1745.jpg

103_1746.jpg

103_1747.jpg

103_1748.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

You better hope there's NO earth quake ........ While your in there ..... On a note...... I sure would like to pick through all them goodies ....  If y'all ever ?? Have a sale ?? (HINT HINT)  ..... Be sure to let me know! 

There is some little Faultline around here that might give me issues (New Madrid) lol

Still chipping away at the shop. Waiting on dad to move his crap out of the way so I can pull the first four wheeler into the shop and start wrenching on it. Have been organizing my tools in the tool boxes and hauling a lot of crap off.

My workbench is now cleaned off so I went  ahead and tore into that MS 180 this morning. The side case was melted from someone running it with the brake on so I ordered a replacement from Hutzl and started on it.

That’s far hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would be.

Baby woke up and was hungry so had to quit for the morning

F620C85B-7053-4EEB-8114-D13463BBCD2D.jpeg

AA463A2B-026A-45EC-8585-FCAA8B49CA4A.jpeg

A84CE426-57A1-4A66-8E5E-64D719C6A998.jpeg

BDEDB85B-4EA6-4261-B121-812D93AB4C14.jpeg

B9EC6D58-9F98-45F9-AC30-E93888FCCE96.jpeg

• Like 5

Does cleaning my reels and and relubing the bearings count? ready for spring and the spawn need another wall hanger to match my other one.

IMG_0868.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0978.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is my current site! Digging ourselves into a hole!🙃 I'm project managing the job from start to finish, then heading to Australia for a bit of different work and some warm weather! (Itll be late August before I go there)

20200114_085313.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TBRider said:

It will be winter in Australia in august turbo....

But it will still be warm there if they don't get those fires put out.  But seriously, I hope they do soon.

• Like 1

I'm workin on my abs... i know they are here somewhere (grin)...seriously..all my projects are up and running and actually just enjoying riding/using  them.

but spring will be here in a couple short months and between the pool and the boat, well, let's just say i need a little less ballast in my bow.

3 hours ago, TBRider said:

It will be winter in Australia in august turbo....

Winter in Australia is warmer than summer here.  Our temperature rarely exceeds 20 centigrade or 68 farenheit.

• Like 2