jeepwm69

What are you working on?

@ATC4ever a new frame? Was it rusted out?

I've been working on my '97 SS S10. Been a huge money pit to say the least. Bought it not running 8 years ago, after a fuel pump it was running. Replaced all the front brakes, hoses, rotors, and backing plates. Rebuilt the front suspension. Motor blew up, pulled it out, got the trans rebuilt as it was on its way out, everything on the motor went back new, rebuilt a motor and hopped it up a little. Broke a valve spring along with a few other problems.

Pulled it out and put a lower mileage(110k) 4.3 that had 2 or 3 bad valves in 1 head.  Picked up a newer set of heads from a local shop friend and re-gasketed and new GM timing cover for the engine. Got it all back together a few weeks ago. Threw away my y pipe because I had a 98 pipe I though would work. it won't and I am having a time finding a 96 or 97 that is getting parted out. 

SS.jpg

• Like 3

Gotta give it to Toyota, not many companies will swap in a new frame. For it to be a recall, that must of had a ton of problems.

15 hours ago, Chevymec said:

Gotta give it to Toyota, not many companies will swap in a new frame. For it to be a recall, that must of had a ton of problems.

Oh the service manager told me, Toyota got sued for billions. & they sued the frame manufacturer for only millions...so it was a court ordered recall... i wasnt going to argue 😆

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, Fishfiles said:

I worked with a guy that worked for a garbage collection  company and he told me some horror stories -------- called Mike Rowe/ dirty Jobs to do a show , I was watching him a little while ago , my job is dirty but not funky , well some times it can be 

My hands look amazing good right now , they have been a mess in the past , so sore from cracks and cuts I could barley squeeze them , cuticles with deep cracks ,  I use Dab-A-Do hand cleaner , great stuff , locally made in Arabi ,La , I don't think there is any better hand cleaner  , smells great and cleans well and it don't dry them hands out  and always have a can of Bert's Bee Wax Hand Paste , that stuff is awesome , kind of expensive but it goes a long way , I spend a small fortune every month on gloves ,paper towels , rags hand cleaner , etc , I can go thru 100 pair of them black nitriles in a week when I am busy --------- 

when my buddy died from liver failure about 10 years ago now and his dad was telling me at the wake that he thought it was all the years of him being a mechanic that collected in his liver and killed him , he scared me  ,  he worked in a shop with a Safety Clean wash tank  and rebuilt transmissions all day , he never wore gloves and I can remember  his hands being a mess   -------- 

as much as I can I wear them black nitrile gloves when it is juicy with oil and grease and leather gloves when it is dry and rough , but I know I suck up my fair share of toxins , I don't wear gloves with the PCS1000 , it dries out your hands big time 

some of those chemicals used to clean bowling machines were like dipping your hands in paint thinner, always clogged up my nose. from my post, ya can tell it had no effect on me. it had no effect on me. no effect on me. 🙂

SS 225 was one i remember, cause it was better than the previous one.

i finally got wise and didn't clean so much. the front, [management] couldnt tell anyway.

On June 1, 2021 at 7:23 PM, Chevymec said:

i had an 81 toyota diesel (l pre-chamber engine)  truck, had the same issue, severe frame rust, i ended up stripping the truck down and doing a frame up restore, one of the best toughest trucks i ever owned, a box frame beats a c channel frame any day, just have to keep the inside flushed out, and the drain holes clean, the same with honda atv tube frames (keep those drain holes clean) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i had an 81 toyota diesel (l pre-chamber engine)  truck, had the same issue, severe frame rust, i ended up stripping the truck down and doing a frame up restore, one of the best toughest trucks i ever owned, a box frame beats a c channel frame any day, just have to keep the inside flushed out, and the drain holes clean, the same with honda atv tube frames (keep those drain holes clean) 

You have to give it toToyota , they make stuff that last , my wife's 2009 4 Rav is in the shop right now with 220,000 miles , getting a cv-shaft and wheel bearing hub on one side , first real repair since her getting it , other than brakes , alternator and battery --- I was going to do the job myself , but for what Accurate Alignment is charging , it is better for me to work and let them do it , for $860 , they are changing the cv-shaft , seal , wheel bearing hub and changing the oil and filter in the trans-axle , and a front end alignment ,  the parts and oil were right at $500 

• Like 1

220,000 miles,  she's just getting broke in. i had so many people make fun on my truck, called it the brown rice burner, but she kept running while they were replacing trucks every so often, i ended up clocking over a 1,000,000 miles (no telling how many hours jumping off cold equipment, ) (for that don't know jumping off EQ is charging a weak or cold battery in the field ) but she was a tin can.... in the end the compression rings gave up the ghost, rotella 15w-40 is what she used, i checked about rebuilding it, because it's a sleeve engine over 5 grand, NOPE.... the truck (at best) was worth $800 -+ , but still when you have a good machine, you do your best to hang on, next was a 85 white swb 2wd 22r carb, a crash ended that one, but i sold the motor for $500, my friend Richard still runs it today, no telling how many miles it has ether, the 4 speed, i still have, can't give those away..... (sigh) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

220,000 miles,  she's just getting broke in. i had so many people make fun on my truck, called it the brown rice burner, but she kept running while they were replacing trucks every so often, i ended up clocking over a 1,000,000 miles (no telling how many hours jumping off cold equipment, ) (for that don't know jumping off EQ is charging a weak or cold battery in the field ) but she was a tin can.... in the end the compression rings gave up the ghost, rotella 15w-40 is what she used, i checked about rebuilding it, because it's a sleeve engine over 5 grand, NOPE.... the truck (at best) was worth $800 -+ , but still when you have a good machine, you do your best to hang on, next was a 85 white swb 2wd 22r carb, a crash ended that one, but i sold the motor for $500, my friend Richard still runs it today, no telling how many miles it has ether, the 4 speed, i still have, can't give those away..... (sigh) 

I am a believer in Shell Rotella , I am over 300,000 on my 2008 Dodge 4500 6.7 Cummins 

• Like 1

same here,  (my father and myself) run shell rotella, but i dont run in ether of my honda 300s but I'd have no problem swopping over, well now that i think of it the 35 ton wood splitter has a Kohlar plant which calls for zink inpregnated oil, so that what it gets, @SamUK talked to me a while about those engines, and just as he said they are a great engine design. 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

same here,  (my father and myself) run shell rotella, but i dont run in ether of my honda 300s but I'd have no problem swopping over, well now that i think of it the 35 ton wood splitter has a Kohlar plant which calls for zink inpregnated oil, so that what it gets, @SamUK talked to me a while about those engines, and just as he said they are a great engine design. 

My Zero Swing Husqvarna has a Kohler , and I run the Kohler oil in it , cause I bought a case , that is the only engine around here that gets other than Rotella , once it goes out of the warranty it will likely get Rotella too

• Like 1

well heck,,i might swop over to shell  rotella on all the rest, i looked online called a few places, never could find out why zink laced oil is recommended, i know from reading here, honda oil is not the best, it's good but rotella is just as good and i can get it anywhere here, honda oil, i have to order, same with Kohler, and nether are cheep, i forget what shat shade runs in his, i think gtx, I've used that to, very good oil. 

Did a little work on a couple of machines, put a plug in the rear tire of the Rincon 😒

And did an ECU flash on a buddies ZX10R.

20210625_080755.jpg

Well what I've been dealing with is a delta series 14 bathtub faucet..... Now this is simple fix... Not really in need of bringing/ postung about up, but being this is delta faucets... I'm disappointed .. In this series... It's the single handle or what i call joystick models.... I have never liked a joystick model.. Well i had my bathroom refreshed a few years back (some might recall) i made the mistake of telling the contractor what i was looking for... Yet didnt tell him NO JOYSTICK TYPE BSTHTUB FAUCET, which is what he installed with Pex line<< (good choice as my outside wood boiling also uses pex so I'm very well aware of the durability of the product) EXCELLENT. As you can see here... The seal is shot.... Delta sent me the free kit being it's a life time warranty product... I do not know what caused this to fail, could it have been the extra hot water temps added by the domestic hot water supply from the boiler ? That would be my thinking.. Because no calcium or any other build up is present....... Nor any build up in the water jacket of the wood boiler ... Anyways all fixed... And i see on begazon... This same exact factory certified kit sold as a bulk product... Hm.... Sold in bulk ? Apparently more n more people are having issues with that series... Well.... I have a comment or two.... Hey delta get it together! We have enjoyed quality products for many years... Do go cheep like most other manufacturers have (done soap boxing... Just a note ... If your planning on a update faucet wise.... Stai way clear of the 14 series delta faucets.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

@_Wilson_™ I despise anything plumbing related. My dad's dad was a plumber. 

I'm still working on my S10. About to rebuild the rear suspension. Grabbed another set of leaf springs and replaced the bushings. Bought new hangers, solid aluminum lowering blocks,  angle plates, and set back plates. Hope to get on this this week.20230624_135843.jpg

20230619_172646.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chevymec said:

@_Wilson_™ I despise anything plumbing related. My dad's dad was a plumber. 

I'm still working on my S10. About to rebuild the rear suspension. Grabbed another set of leaf springs and replaced the bushings. Bought new hangers, solid aluminum lowering blocks,  angle plates, and set back plates. Hope to get on this this week.20230624_135843.jpg

20230619_172646.jpg

Carolina Squat mod ???  >>>>

• Haha 2

124000miles later i changed the 1st caliper on the old truck. 

Put a Voltmeter on a Polaris 600 twin to monitor the intermittent regulator 🤨 This is aside from changing rotors & pads on a buds DODGE ram... it will always be a Dodge to me -_-

voltmerr.jpg

caliperxx.jpg

• Like 2

@_Wilson_™ @Fishfiles ... man yall just kicked me down..... lol

The truck is lowered 2" spindles in the front and the ZQ8 suspension so it is 1.5" lower from the factory off the bat.

Rear leaf springs are 3 leafs which lowers it factory but it has 4" blocks and the previous owner removed the 2nd leaf which ... yes gave the truck the carolnia squat. I had to add air shocks and bump stops back to the truck to even be able to drive it. It was horrible. I am going back with 3" blocks and the correct leaf springs. Still lots to do to this truck. I don't know why I am drawn to clapped out projects......

• Like 2

Oh man.... When i saw the title... 1st thought was oh !..... He's been in another crash.. N now he's stitching himself up?? Wth ? 

• Haha 2

Got the rear end torn apart for a “ new” axle and a new to me hub. Cleaned and painted.   Waiting on shipping swopped tiresand rims off the 450 I am selling. The 450 hotdog Dirt Devils with steel OEM rims.  Caltric had 86-87 trx250 FourTrax axles.  Wow.  

E7DC5C33-2DFB-494C-8D82-3483020784E8.jpeg

C61A1ED7-8F20-43E9-A612-6F64C9D50E70.jpeg

831AE488-049D-4A8F-8088-39A8798C1AFC.jpeg

• Like 2

Also drilled and tapped 4 grease fittings in the axle tubes ,swing arm shaft cavity ad differential fill cap.  Going with Lucas hub oil and marine grease ox in the diff and grease in the other3. 

• Like 1