jeepwm69

Can Am HD8 Defender, brakes suck

Father in law dropped off his Can Am Defender after deer season so we can ride the kid on the farm over the winter.

I went to take it up the street and the brake pedal pretty much goes to the floor, will only stop as the pedal actually contacts the floor.  Looked and one of the two master cylinders is bone dry.

He bought an extended warranty for it, and took it in.  They looked and said it needs new pads and rotors, $850, and that the MC was empty because the calipers were extended due to brake wear. 

I tell him that sounds like BS, and to bring it back to me and I’ll put pads on it.  Had him order new EBC pads ($150ish).

This is what I find when I tear into it.  Dang original pads are practically new.  If there’s a brake leak and they can’t find it that’s one thing, but to say “pads are worn” about this is just crooked.  

Not sure what he’s going to do yet. 

E2B5CE34-6391-4E34-8381-5E6837E153CE.jpeg

C10494A1-E7C5-4EAA-927F-3640B5CDA1EA.jpeg

F620AF26-9AEB-45C0-8EAB-50A3B5F16A83.jpeg

That sounds like a typical dealership (hire the cheapest and only possible body) mechanic reply on warranty work. The parts replacers they can hire only know how to do that, replace parts. This don't have any ABS or electronic braking capabilities does it?  

18 hours ago, toodeep said:

That sounds like a typical dealership (hire the cheapest and only possible body) mechanic reply on warranty work. The parts replacers they can hire only know how to do that, replace parts. This don't have any ABS or electronic braking capabilities does it?  

Not that I can see.  There are two master cylinders under the hood.  One is full.  The other was bone dry.  I dumped some brake fluid in there and the level hasn't dropped, but brakes are spongy as ! and don't grab until you have the pedal all the way to the floor.  Pretty sure the system is full of air now, but the original fluid had to go somewhere, right?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/can-am/side-by-side/2019/defender-hd8/06-brakes-defender-hd8

Front brake lines were almost taught just with the vehicle sitting.  Looks like there should be a little slack in there.  I don't THINK this thing is lifted, but i could be wrong.  Has 27" AT's on it, so no huge tires or anything.

I figured there would be a spot on the brake line rubbed through somewhere, or maybe a line pulled out of a fitting up by the T where the lines come out below the master, but haven't found anything yet.

Think I might try bleeding them and see if I get anything different.

I'm still irritated at the dealership over the whole "worn brake pads and rotors" thing, given the pads are like new and the machine only has about 800 miles on it.

Looks like 27s would be stock --- large shocks could have them brake lines pulled tight 

F Tire Brand Maxxis® Bighorn 2.0 27 x 9-12
R Tire Brand Maxxis® Bighorn 2.0 27 x 11-12

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks like 27s would be stock --- large shocks could have them brake lines pulled tight 

F Tire Brand Maxxis® Bighorn 2.0 27 x 9-12
R Tire Brand Maxxis® Bighorn 2.0 27 x 11-12

Pretty sure that’s what’s on there now, bighorns. Given the mileage I’m sure they are the original tires