bwxmas

86 Honda TRX 350

@Goober

Welcome aboard.  You only interested in an 86?  They made three different "generations" of that 350 Fourtrax/Foreman

• Like 1

The one I use, and have had was an 86...I would actually look at the 3 generations..They are all good, but my experience is with the 86's

Thanks

86-87 350A

87 only 350D

88-up 350D

If looking for one to use, I'd get the 88-up, for the simple reason that they were more numerous and had better parts interchangeability than any of the other gens.

The 86's had some "86 only" bits on them IIRC, like front end parts, that can be hard to find if you need a replacement.

• Like 3

I have an 86.... And, Jeep nailed it...dont get me wrong... I like just about anything made by honda (mostly recreational) ... Matter of fact I've delt with a  number of honda made equiptment / vehicle models .. Never been disappointed in the least.

• Like 1

Depending on your location, the 88– up 350s were sold up until 1993 in Canada and overseas

• Like 1

I think I might already have my fingers on one.

Thanks for the advice, but keep em coming.

My father and I were one of the first buyers in 1986, and mine is still running.

Never been in a shop, so I am kinda close to it

It is a bear to get parts though

Other one gave to my brother, enuff said.

Appreciate the kindness

Lee

• Like 2

Favorite machine is 86 TRX350A. Simpler than the others although I don’t understand the breather box thing lol!

yeah starter gear set in the early 86 lacks the roller bearing in the cover—late 86 on. Inspect the starter and reduction gears for wear or you risk breaking some teeth and ruining a flywheel/stator set. Replace the starter if the gear is showing a lot of wear and use the kick starter to reduce wear on the starter.

86 Front drive shafts are splined differently than later models; front brake components differ too ( hubs, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders). 

Hey @bwxmas

download the service manual in the service manual folder (TRX350 Foreman).

also check part numbers by using the OEM parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. Shows different part numbers per VIN, year and model.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

I have a manual, got it 36yrs ago in case I needed it.

So far, just needed for fluids 😃

But a digital copy wont hurt.

Thanks

Edited by bwxmas
  • Like 1

Glad to have you as a member. There are several experienced 86-93 TRX350 guys here. So much knowledge here.

have you changed brake fluid in last five years? If not I’d recommend it; because the master cylinders are very hard to find.

I rebuilt the wheel cylinders on my last project because they wouldn’t hold seal. I had to replace the seals and one piston because it was pitted. 
I learned how to fix it here!!

Are you looking for parts?

• Like 2