Rodney Gehman

2004 Honda Trx 400 rancher fa

My rancher completely stopped driving and will do nothing when shifted between forward and reverse. I use this four wheeler every day and it has been a very reliable atv. I have 19,000 miles on it and I never really had any transmission slipping more then a time or so that it was a tab low in oil and going up hill. Last week I was driving it and it made a funny rattling noise when I was coming to a stop. When I went to go there was a slight grinding rattling  noise but no movement whatsoever. We towed it to our shop but now when started and shifted between forward and reverse there is absolutely no noise nothing it is as if you did nothing. The funny thing is when shifting between forward and reverse it doesn’t feel like the shaft would even be turning. Would the Hondamatic go without any warning or is there something else going on? Also in manual mode it will shift all five gears and not throw any errors codes. And you can hear the shift motor moving. What would cause the inner Hondamatic shaft to not be getting any movement 

First thing I'd do is run an oil pressure test or check and see if the oil pump chain jumped off.  You'll have to have a gauge and some fittings to do so, and instructions are in the factory service manual, which you can download free in the "Service Manuals" tab at the top of the page. 

I have a Hondamatic Rubicon that I'm into now, and the oil pump chain had jumped off.  Since the Hondamatic is oil pressure driven it wouldn't go with the chain off, and it apparently was run enough afterwards while trying to troubleshoot to eat up the top end as well (since the oil pump wasn't pushing oil to the top end either).

Follow the link, click on Honda, then utility, then on the 400 Rancher and you can download the manual in PDF format.

19K is dang impressive for any machine, but especially a 400AT. 

• Like 1

You won't find an oil pump chain on the 400 with Hondamatic's, they are gear driven off the clutch I believe. Only the 500 Rubicon had the chain driven pumps. I agree that a 400AT with that kind of mileage is rare!

On 1/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, spock said:

You won't find an oil pump chain on the 400 with Hondamatic's, they are gear driven off the clutch I believe. Only the 500 Rubicon had the chain driven pumps. I agree that a 400AT with that kind of mileage is rare!

Well, learned something new.  Haven't worked on a 400 other than rebuilding my neighbors carb a couple of times.