01RUBY500

Can Full time 4x4 be changed to have 2x4 or 4x4 selection?

I have been wondering if my 01 Rubicon can be changed over to have the selection between 2 Wheel Drive and four-wheel-drive, instead of full-time four-wheel-drive and what would be involved to do that, and if it would be cost effective.  Anyone know?

I have never installed one on a Rubicon , done the 450 and 300 ---------  to install  it , the front diff has to be unbolted , and moved forward enough to take the drive shaft out and slide the 424 in , then route the cable and control knob -----  not too bad a job  

16 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

I have been wondering if my 01 Rubicon can be changed over to have the selection between 2 Wheel Drive and four-wheel-drive, instead of full-time four-wheel-drive and what would be involved to do that, and if it would be cost effective.  Anyone know?

How handy are you? 

If I were doing it, I'd swap in a diff from a newer Rubicon (05-14) and straight wire it like what is described here.

I know the diff will bolt in place.  The only "if" is the front driveshaft.  You might get by with simply swapping in an 05-14 front driveshaft and have it bolt in and go (after wiring in the 2wd/4wd switch) or you might have to modify the driveshaft length to fit, but I much prefer this to the cable actuated 424.

Front diff from an 05-14 Rubicon, 05-11 Foreman, and 03-current Rincon diffs should all be able to be swapped in.

• Like 2

I would tell you  the opposite , stay away from the electric shift diff ,  the less wires and electrical components the better  --------------  if the electric shift diff breaks , you can be  looking at more money to fix it , the actuator to engage the front diff is  $400+ and $80 for each sensor ( X2 ) right there is $560 worth of un-needed electrical parts that can  go bad , then add a new switch or add the later model switch , rig up the wires , and then I think you would have to remember to not shift on the fly as the diff will not be protected by the speed sensors that prevent shifting to occur when moving too fast on a factory set  up 

I had the electric shift on my 450 , it went  go out when riding 3 different times , the default is 2wd , so when it failed I didn't have 4wd , that is a bad set up 

15 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I would tell you  the opposite , stay away from the electric shift diff ,  the less wires and electrical components the better  --------------  if the electric shift diff breaks , you can be  looking at more money to fix it , the actuator to engage the front diff is  $400+ and $80 for each sensor ( X2 ) right there is $560 worth of un-needed electrical parts that can  go bad , then add a new switch or add the later model switch , rig up the wires , and then I think you would have to remember to not shift on the fly as the diff will not be protected by the speed sensors that prevent shifting to occur when moving too fast on a factory set  up 

I had the electric shift on my 450 , it went  go out when riding 3 different times , the default is 2wd , so when it failed I didn't have 4wd , that is a bad set up 

Well you cut the speed sensor wires off with the swap, so they aren't used anymore.  You do have two wires running to a switch, and the thing runs on an electromagnet. 

You do make a valid point on the "no shifting if your rear wheels are spinning at a different speed than the front wheels".

I haven't ever seen an actuator go bad.  I'm sure they do, but for me they've been pretty bulletproof. 

I do have 424's for my 300's, and they work, but you will have trouble from them too if you use them in mud and water.  They require servicing and you still have to rebulid them eventually.  

You can pick up a used factory 2wd/4wd front diff much cheaper than a 424, and they're much easier to use.  Both will eventually require maint, especially if you use them in lots of mud and water.

So either way will work.  Either is certainly worth doing.  You just have to decide what setup you want. 

Might look at swapping disc brakes off of those same bikes I mentioned above while you're at it.  They swap on at the ball joints, plug and play.

Edited by jeepwm69

Thanks guy’s. Now that I know it can be done I will need to decide if I want to spend that much to do it. That’s is more than I want to spend right now anyway.  Mud and water was mentioned and I have 75 acres that I use my Rubicon on and  70 acres is on the other side of the river that runs through my property so I cross the river a lot. So I need to consider that too. 

Fish has had his share of issues with them.  I don't ride as much as he doest, but when I do ride it's in mud and water.  I duck hunt on my wheelers, usually just parking in the water and sitting there for hours, and I have yet to have or even see an issue with one of the electric front diffs.

I'm usually a KISS guy, but these electromagnet actuated front diffs have held up great for me...enough so that I swapped one into my kid's 350 Rancher.

That why me moment !!!  has thought me to stay away from expensive electrical parts ,  that are unnecessary to  achieved the same results another way , when that other way  would  be less intrusive on my wallet or riding opportunities  when that moment arrives ---- lol 

It is kind of like electric engage front diff is right there with ES , it works and sometimes it breaks --------- if you got a foot shift , then you will never have ES problems --------  same thing with the 424 , you eliminate a lot of potential problems at one time  

That's what is so good about forums , you get different views , as there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat and about 150 different ways to cook that cat LOL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 01RUBY500 said:

Thanks guy’s. Now that I know it can be done I will need to decide if I want to spend that much to do it. That’s is more than I want to spend right now anyway.  Mud and water was mentioned and I have 75 acres that I use my Rubicon on and  70 acres is on the other side of the river that runs through my property so I cross the river a lot. So I need to consider that too. 

I am doing the diff swap  on my 01 350 rancher.  Got it used cheap. Nice thing about riding older, more used parts. I too was going the cable route but as soon as I heard I could do it with a diff swap. That was it for me. I like the idea of a contained system with nooooo cable!! Haha 

Edited by Gremlin

What's cheap , I have two for the 450 to sell , like to know what they go for ? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got the 400at front diff and shaft for 250CAD. Saw them on ebay in the us for 90-200 USD.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Sure.

I just looked , the 400At front diff is still available and goes for $700 new , wow , I did see it doesn't show that it interchanged with any other model ----what do you mean by " smaller " 

17 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I just looked , the 400At front diff is still available and goes for $700 new , wow , I did see it doesn't show that it interchanged with any other model ----what do you mean by " smaller " 

Got the diff and shaft. It doesn't show its interchangeable but it is. Lol

Just meant 400 is a smaller machine, probably bit smaller diff. So probably a smaller price. But dont know. Once everyone knows you can do these swaps, price will go through the roof. Lol

To get the 4x2x4 kit here in Canada probably 500 so the swap with a used looked way better $$ and all OEM. Don't know why someone would go cable when they could go switch. Lol

Edited by Gremlin

The electric shift diff gave me trouble.  It would kick out when I needed 4wd.  Happened 3 to 4 times I remember and likely more.  When it don’t work then it is a  2wd.  would be better if 4wd was what it would be when it messes up   The 4wd light would go to flashing and no 4wd.  I greased all the connections.  Changed sensors and it would be ok for a while and then drop 4wd again might have been water or the actuator going out. I would park it f a few days and it would work for a while. ——-being it sounds like  you Will Be jumping the system with a toggle switch then you will be bypassing  a lot of things that could stop it from working —-/ I have read Retro say that it doesn’t really need 12 v to run and will last longer on lesser voltage And at $400 plus US you don’t want to be changing it.  ——At least  your speedo will still work.  My speedo on the 2002 don’t work as the sensor was on the front diff.  On 2001 down it was on the rear cover.   

My "retro gizmo" was set at about 9V and worked fine, so I left it there (he made it adjustable).

The 400AT's weren't all that great of a bike, so probably more parted out than there are running.  The gear ratio in the 350/400 Ranchers is different so the only swap for the 400AT front diff is the 350 Rancher (or another 400AT).

I'd wager most 450's are still on the trails, so there are more people looking for parts for them, thus higher prices.

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I was thinking $200 myself , I just took a look on e-bay and they go for $300 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=41400-HN0-671&_sacat=0

Thanks for the great offer but I’m going to have to pass.  Found out today I’m going to need to help my daughter with some medical bills. So I will have to leave it as is for now. 

I bought a 2001 Foreman Rubicon 500 over a month ago and have been doing the research on what is possible for making it selectable from 4wd to 2wd but not sure if all the things I'm reading are applicable to my model and year... It's in the shop getting repaired now (angle sensor was bad and replaced... now they can't reset the codes, think it's the CDI) but would like to get input on what would work to make it selectable to 2wd....

1 hour ago, gktapper said:

I bought a 2001 Foreman Rubicon 500 over a month ago and have been doing the research on what is possible for making it selectable from 4wd to 2wd but not sure if all the things I'm reading are applicable to my model and year... It's in the shop getting repaired now (angle sensor was bad and replaced... now they can't reset the codes, think it's the CDI) but would like to get input on what would work to make it selectable to 2wd....

Welcome aboard.

Looks back up a few posts to this. 

I haven't done it on a Rubicon, but the output shaft is the same 01-14, so the question is, are the frame mounting points the same 05-14 as they are 01-04?

56 minutes ago, gktapper said:

03-current Rincon, 02-04 450 Foreman, 05-11 Foreman ES and footshift, and 05-14 Rubicon front diffs are all the same.

You know anyone who has one of those?   The mounting pattern is always the same.  You might have to notch the frame as pictured in that link on the 350 Rancher diff swap I posted above.  12V and a switch is all that is needed to put the machine into 4wd.  The only real question is whether or not a stock driveshaft from one of those machines will work, or if you'll have to have one shortened/lengthened.