Wormy

TRX450ES Just Quit Shifting

Need a little help on this one. Last time I parked my foreman it was running fine. It’s being stored outside currently until my shop is finished but it’s under a tarp. Went out yesterday and started it up but when you hit the shift up or down button nothing happened. Checked out all the fuses and they are good. I just had the angle position sensor replaced about 4 months ago. Pulled the plug going into the the angle position and the black wire had power to it. I am assuming that is what Carrie’s power to the shifter motor but i am not sure how to check anything from there. What am I missing? Any and all help is appreciated.

It's probably caused by a wet electrical connector somewhere. Or possibly a rusty frame ground. Or maybe something with the relay that is in the wiring harness between the fuse box and the 5p ECM connector.

1st step should be to verify that the shift motor power connector at the ECM is measuring battery voltage on the Red/Yellow wire and ground on the Green wire inside the connector with the key turned on. That's difficult because if you unplug the 5p ECM connector then the relay can't get energized, since the relay also gets power from that same connector. So, the most straightforward way to check those wires for power & ground is to pierce the insulation on them, then measure, then seal those wires back up with some sort of glue. I don't care for all that destructive nonsense though....

So I'd recommend that you check for battery voltage on each leg of the 30 amp motor fuse (there are two tiny test points on top of that fuse that you can probe with your red multimeter lead - ground the black multimeter lead), unplug the shift motor power relay and dielectric those connectors, loosen the frame grounds and shine them up and dielectric grease them, unplug both of the ECM connectors carefully and inspect for moisture and/or corrosion on the terminals and dielectric grease them before very carefully plugging the ECM back in. Be careful that you don't bend any of the ECM pins in there.... press those connectors straight in and snap the connectors in fully once they're aligned. It takes some force so ya gotta be sure the connector is lined up with the pins before ya get after it....

That'll get ya started. Let us know when you're ready for the next round. Here is a stitched together copy of the wiring diagram (hope I guessed the right year of your Foreman?)

98-01-TRX450ES-wiring.png

And in case you haven't yet done so, now is the time to prep the ES system.

Hope you find the issue quick! Holler at us....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wormy said:

Need a little help on this one. Last time I parked my foreman it was running fine. It’s being stored outside currently until my shop is finished but it’s under a tarp. Went out yesterday and started it up but when you hit the shift up or down button nothing happened. Checked out all the fuses and they are good. I just had the angle position sensor replaced about 4 months ago. Pulled the plug going into the the angle position and the black wire had power to it. I am assuming that is what Carrie’s power to the shifter motor but i am not sure how to check anything from there. What am I missing? Any and all help is appreciated.

Did you take it to Wilson's ? Or that place in columbia ... I forget. The name it's right t across the street from auto zone behind that  other parts store...turn right beside that store, and go down to the 2 way stop and it's right on the corner.... If. You took it there, I'm not shocked it still doesn't work... Take it to Wilson's ... Unless your doing this repair yourself.

Edit: Its cycle athority ..... Stay clear of That place! 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Ok, i have checked continuity on the motor and it seems good. I am super dumb when it comes to electrical. SUPER!! I don't think i am getting power to the switch itself because i don't hear anything when you hit either of the gear shifters so that is why i don't think i am getting power to the switch. I was told to check the relay located by the battery. Does anyone have picture of the relay, where it is located and how to test it? Sorry to be such a noob to this but like i said, me and electrical don't mix. 

i would pull the shift motor, hook to a good battery, see if it spins ?. if it does not ?, then the motor is bad. very common on the es models. also check to see if the battery is fully charged ?, they will not shift if battery is weak. last but not least, angle sensor could be bad again.

• Like 1

Have you shifted it manually yet? Sometimes that all it takes when they sit for a period of time to get the electronics working again. If you don't have a service manual, download one from the main menu bar on here and start walking through the ES section.

Ok, after much tracing I finally found that someone before me replaced the main fuse. So after tracking that down I have voltage going through the main, and coming to the relay. Should I check the relay? And If so how do I check the relay? Also what would be the next step after that.? I took the es motor off and hooked 12v to it and it shifts so the the motor is fine. @retro

Try bypassing the relay by unplugging it, then jumper from the Red/White wire terminal to the Red/Yellow wire terminal inside that relay connector plug. With the ignition key on see if it shifts up or down. If it doesn't attempt to shift then turn the ignition key off and remove the jumper between the Red/White and Red/Yellow temporarily.

Then unplug the 5p harness connector from the ES Shift ECM. Reconnect the jumper to the Red/White and Red/Yellow in the relay connector and turn the key back on. Using a multimeter test for battery voltage (12.6 volts or more) between the Red/Yellow wire terminal and the Green wire terminal inside the 5p ECM connector.

Let us know how that goes.