F250 guy

To buy an ultrasonic cleaner or not.

I'm wondering what size ultrasonic cleaners will work with a Honda 300 carb but that are cheap. Can you guys help me out? Honda 300 carb being the biggest thing I'd use one on, and the usual mower carbs. 

Edited by F250 guy

I'm curious too.  I've been thinking about picking one up.  I'd really like to have one big enough to put a quadrajet or Motorcraft 2100 in though. 

Edited by jeepwm69

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm curious too.  I've been thinking about picking one up.  I'd really like to have one big enough to put a quadrajet or Motorcraft 2100 in though. 

Since I got ya here, what choke cables fit 2wd 300s, mine is kinked, and the ones online are for 4x4, I think they had longer cables am I right, if somebody had the part number I'd appreciate that very much. 

This Honda 17950-HC5-971 CABLE, CHOKE fits the following models and components:

Honda ATV 1993 TRX300 AN HANDLE SWITCH

Honda ATV 1993 TRX300FW A - FOURTRAX 300 4X4 HANDLE SWITCH

Honda ATV 1993 TRX300FW AN - FOURTRAX 300 4X4 HANDLE SWITCH

Honda ATV 1993 TRX300 A - FOURTRAX HANDLE SWITCH

Do you know how to do that ^ ? 

17950-HC5-970 also fits 

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

$17 gallon can of carb cleaner 

Alright I'm in business, and hey thanks for the cable #, that really helps me out. I'd say their all about the same price, I'll get a gallon of carb cleaner. 

I used the gallon can of stuff at autozone called chem dip. It has a basket in the can. Fits a carb perfect. Worked magic on the last few carbs i did. Its like 30 bucks but you can use it again and again. Stuff smells aggressive.

This is my go to for the parts breakdown and compatibility 

https://www.partzilla.com/?gclid=CP-c58KX0L8CFRJk7AodWAIAeg

the cable from partzilla is $18 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1993/trx300-a-fourtrax/handle-switch

you can copy and paste the part number to e-bay and it will likey come up with an after market cable , might be cheaper , but after market is not always the best part ---- I know they do sell a cable with the SV starter valve as a kit after market , they are about $35 on e-bay , they come with the short plunger 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

This is my go to for the parts breakdown and compatibility 

https://www.partzilla.com/?gclid=CP-c58KX0L8CFRJk7AodWAIAeg

the cable from partzilla is $18 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1993/trx300-a-fourtrax/handle-switch

you can copy and paste the part number to e-bay and it will likey come up with an after market cable , might be cheaper , but after market is not always the best part ---- I know they do sell a cable with the SV starter valve as a kit after market , they are about $35 on e-bay , they come with the short plunger 

I'll get it from partzilla, never dealt with them are they just cheaper, or a good company?

There are a reputable company, I have ordered numerous times from them...plus their parts brealdowns are very helpful...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcsman said:

There are a reputable company, I have ordered numerous times from them...plus their parts brealdowns are very helpful...

Ok now I got ya, thanks bud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F250 guy said:

Ok now I got ya, thanks bud.

NP always good to hear a report about a company you have never dealt with.  I know if you shop around there will be some parts cheaper some parts more expensive than Partzilla, but they are very good to deal with....when I ordered if you do $150 they give free shipping...

• Like 2

I also had great luck with rocky mountain atv when getting parts. 

I got my cleaner off of amazon a few years ago and use it a lot. Mines a 15L and can fit 2-3 carbs at a time,  cylinder head (atv) or whatever. The biggest part would be the depth of the tub for a single carb. You will probably want a 5-6 inch deep tub at least. 

I love it on carbs, they all clean really easy and faster than soaking them in dip. Removing baked on grease from cylinder heads and stuff it cleans them but doesn't break that stuff free that well. My solution is usually mixed on the weaker side though. Some people will use a 50/50 mix, I do a few glugs.  

20200116_171139.jpg

54 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I got my cleaner off of amazon a few years ago and use it a lot. Mines a 15L and can fit 2-3 carbs at a time,  cylinder head (atv) or whatever. The biggest part would be the depth of the tub for a single carb. You will probably want a 5-6 inch deep tub at least. 

I love it on carbs, they all clean really easy and faster than soaking them in dip. Removing baked on grease from cylinder heads and stuff it cleans them but doesn't break that stuff free that well. My solution is usually mixed on the weaker side though. Some people will use a 50/50 mix, I do a few glugs.  

20200116_171139.jpg

Great tool. Say would ya know the part# for a factory adjusting tool for the pilot mix screw? As of now my method is, 1/4in socket, flat blade screw bit, and several burnt fingers. There's gotta be a better way. 

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

Thanks for the link, just incase my kit doesn't have a drain screw o ring, what's the size and will any o ring work? 

9 hours ago, F250 guy said:

I'll get it from partzilla, never dealt with them are they just cheaper, or a good company?

I order 96% of all the oem parts I buy from them. The other 4%? Those parts are either not made anymore or some of the few they don't have access to. Adding up the order history through them totals over $4k... over 6 years. I've never had a single problem with them and play to buy much more. If there was an issue is if you are use to overnight or 2 day shipping you will be disappointed. Think old school shipping. Not terrible, just slow. 

As for an ultrasonic cleaner for carbs.. they are amazing! And as for solution? Try good old fashioned pine sol. The original, not the enhanced with anything kind. But don't let it soak for any longer than 24 hours and rince thoroughly to remove any extra sol. Works amazing in an ultrasonic tub. Just be sure to remove any diaphragm or o-rings and hoses. Btw, after a water rinse dry thoroughly and spray any screws or other metal bits with some wd-40 or oil base to keep them from rusting. See pic. Bought this carb from ebay. Looked like it sat in a grove for 10 years full of rotten gas. Choke would even move. That pic was after 17 hours in pine sol in a ultrasonic cleaner. No brushes or anything was used. Wish I'd taken a pic of the before but I wanted to see what rusted. Took it all apart and threw it all in the soup (minus rubber parts of course). Normally I wouldn't wash all the screws and what not like this but I was curious. 

20190527_081512.jpg

Edited by Akunin

6 minutes ago, Akunin said:

I order 96% of all the oem parts I buy from them. The other 4%? Those parts are either not made anymore or some of the few they don't have access to. Adding up the order history through them totals over $4k... over 6 years. I've never had a single problem with them and play to buy much more. If there was an issue is if you are use to overnight or 2 day shipping you will be disappointed. Think old school shipping. Not terrible, just slow. 

As for an ultrasonic cleaner for carbs.. they are amazing! And as for solution? Try good old fashioned pine sol. The original, not the enhanced with anything kind. But don't let it soak for any longer than 24 hours and rince thoroughly to remove any extra sol. Works amazing in an ultrasonic tub. Just be sure to remove any diaphragm or o-rings.

I'm still looking at cleaners, right now I'm narrowed down to sharpertek or ultrasonic LLC. Can't decide.

4 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

I'm still looking at cleaners, right now I'm narrowed down to sharpertek or ultrasonic LLC. Can't decide.

I only use mine for bike or quad parts so I got a cheap 10l one off amazon for about $140. Works perfectly for my needs. Its been doing the job now for 5 or so years and still going strong

• Like 1

Berrymans chemtool is good stuff.  I lucked out and found two gallon cans of it on the clearance aisle at Walmart for $5 each a couple of years ago.  Loaned one of them to @basfnb.  Need to get that back from him if he's through with it (he'll probably show up and whine that I won't work on his stuff anymore LOL)

For a long time I used Honda East Toledo.  They are cheaper than Partzilla, but do not offer free shipping on larger orders like Partzilla, so depending on what you're ordering, get a total with shipping from both places and see who's cheaper.  Neither of them are fast.  When I used to order all the time from Honda East I dealt with a guy named Paulie who would ship smaller stuff free if I did a decent sized order.  I'd email him my orders rather than use the website.  He was a good guy, took great care of me.  If something was going to be pricey to ship, he'd tell me, if it wasn't, he'd ship it free.  I'm sure Partzilla is the same way, but they didn't stock a ton of parts, so when I'd order from him, then he'd order from Honda, so took time for the part to get from Honda to the dealership, and then from the dealership to me.

Paulie left Honda East so haven't ordered much from them since.  I have so much crap around now that I have most of what I'll need, and for one or two item orders it's cheaper and easier to just get it on ebay.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, toodeep said:

20200116_171139.jpg

Looks like $185 for that one @toodeep.  Since you do it for a living makes sense to have one that size.  How long have you had it?  I don't mind paying up for good tools, as long as they'll last.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Ultrasonic-Professional-Dentures-Instrument/dp/B07ZNT6QXQ?th=1

I've had mine for about 2 years now and use it quit a bit. So far it's held up great. It takes a while to get use to the sound of them when they are working but after a while it's just another background noise.

• Like 1

I've been putting off getting one but really should. I've heard a lot of good things about the ones on Amazon. It seems like every time I do a carb I wish I had one, but make do without, then just forget about it until I have to do another. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1