evang

Hi:

Recently acquired a well-maintained 2000 Foreman 450ES.

I'm really enjoying riding it, mainly plowing snow and hauling firewood.

The one wrinkle I'm still trying to solve is hard starting at -10C and colder.  

Welcome to the forum , I can't imagine dealing with -10 degrees temperatures , it was 75F down here in SE Louisiana yesterday  , I would guess you keep your atv outside or maybe in a unheated garage , what's about covering it and using some type of heater under the cover , even if it were just a light bulb ---- what kind of gas you'll got up there 

• Like 1

Welcome! Agreed ^^^^ kats makes some stick on engine heating pads.....I've not had much experience with them, but the ones i have used have done fine.... Just be aware to get one that doesn't use too many watts if you plan on using an extention cord.... My thinking is -10 or teps close or lower will act on any of them... Being that cold will have an effect on just about everything from fuel, starting and the electrical system... And I'd have to ask do temps that low effect the operation on the es shift ? 

• Like 1

Thanks all for those suggestions.

Any recommendations on spark plug type?

Our mechanic mentioned that in cold weather the Fourtrax is prone to plug fouling.

I should mention that at this time of year -10C is on the mild end here.

This coming weekend the forecast is for -32C overnight - expect to see more ice-fishing huts out.

Our Fourtrax is kept outdoors - no garage space for it currently, so the heater idea sounds interesting.

I keep a cover on it, so some kind of small space heater on the ground under that may do the trick.

Good point about paying attention to wattage when choosing the extension cord - I'll probably use 12 AWG.

We use 91 octane in all the small engines - that's the lowest rating available here that contains no ethanol.

I should also mention that the first thing I did when it would not start was to add some methyl hydrate to the fuel,

in case some water had condensed in it.

So far, the ES box has not given any problems shifting - we'll see when it gets colder.

More to follow.

• Like 3

What engine oil are you running? My 86 TRX350 owners manual has a chart showing limit of temp range for 10W-30 is -15C. So yes i agree a heater to keep it above that temp might solve issue. Otherwise maybe the 5W or equivalent might solve during the dead of winter? Good to hear from others operating in your climes

7EA5A9CC-5D26-4E78-915F-E7189CFCE321.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi

I didnt know if you know about these few things, but the carburetor on that model has a preheater and a primer

If you turn key on and wait a minute or two it will start to warm the carb bowl/body a bit, then a quick primer shot or two on the side of the carb with full choke should fire right up
Mine always starts with just the choke at 20F and above, below that I usually give a primer shot or two with the preheater on for couple minutes

and it works great. I recently just cranked at -15F it was S..L..O..W but it fired up.. lol

Its important to have a GOOD battery, not those 40 ebay specials..

I have always run 10W40 oil with no issues.

You might want to make sure the preheater is working as they do go bad, and the primer pumps do get plugged up all the time

AKATV

• Like 4

Good to know - thanks. I've been priming first, so will try your approach.

The primer is definitely working - unless I prime it, no chance of starting.

The battery is brand new from the dealer, and the oil is 10W-40 also newly changed.

Today I replaced the plug (which was fouled), charged the battery and the engine started right away (only -5C today).

However, it ran for only 10 secs or so, backfired and stopped. On the fuel valve, I selected Reserve and it started again.

This time it ran for 40 secs or so before backfiring and stopping. So it appears we have a fuel supply problem.

I eliminated any frozen lines yesterday by adding methyl hydrate. What's the next step?

• Like 1

Thanks, Goober. I'll keep that in mind when it gets colder.

I'm also considering installing an oil pan-type heater on the engine.

Those reduce the load on the starter.

Our seasonal temperature range here is about 60 C degrees (-22 F to +86 F).

No blackflies or mosquitos at the low end of that range. 😉

• Like 1

I would check your fuel flow through the line with fresh clean fuel into a clear jar

look for any water or particles

If you have a weak flow you might want to look at cleaning out your petcock as well as your fuel strainer on the petcock inside the tank

Make sure your choke and plunger is actually working properly

I’ve seen where they get stuck and the line pulls free from the plunger and it isn’t really working

If you’re sure you don’t have any water in your gas and have drained the carburetor bowl you might be looking at a dirty carburetor, it wouldn’t hurt to pull it, clean it out and blow out all the passages

A battery tender is a good option to... I use mine year round..... @Wheeler has a good brand I'd like to have but I've not been able t o locate the brand he uses here in the lower 48... I'm using a 750 ma battery tender jr like this (pic) as for spark plugs.... I only use NGK iridium IX plugs Denso plugs are great plugs as well... I id have to check my books to se which one i have installed now, but here's the standard NGK plus temp range (standard NGK DPR8EA-9, and brother Denso X24EPR-U9) next (for extended high rpm / speed riding NGK DPR9EA-9, and brother Denso X27EPR-U9) next (for cold climates below 5° C / 41° F, NGK DPR7EA-9, and brother Denso X22EPR-U9) 

image.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AKATV said:

Hi

I didnt know if you know about these few things, but the carburetor on that model has a preheater and a primer

If you turn key on and wait a minute or two it will start to warm the carb bowl/body a bit, then a quick primer shot or two on the side of the carb with full choke should fire right up
Mine always starts with just the choke at 20F and above, below that I usually give a primer shot or two with the preheater on for couple minutes

and it works great. I recently just cranked at -15F it was S..L..O..W but it fired up.. lol

Its important to have a GOOD battery, not those 40 ebay specials..

I have always run 10W40 oil with no issues.

You might want to make sure the preheater is working as they do go bad, and the primer pumps do get plugged up all the time

AKATV

That did the trick - thanks again!

Started right away after leaving the ignition on for 2 min and then priming.

Is there a user manual available? Be good to know what else I'm missing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

A battery tender is a good option to... I use mine year round..... @Wheeler has a good brand I'd like to have but I've not been able t o locate the brand he uses here in the lower 48... I'm using a 750 ma battery tender jr like this (pic) as for spark plugs.... I only use NGK iridium IX plugs Denso plugs are great plugs as well... I id have to check my books to se which one i have installed now, but here's the standard NGK plus temp range (standard NGK DPR8EA-9, and brother Denso X24EPR-U9) next (for extended high rpm / speed riding NGK DPR9EA-9, and brother Denso X27EPR-U9) next (for cold climates below 5° C / 41° F, NGK DPR7EA-9, and brother Denso X22EPR-U9) 

image.jpg

Thanks for the battery tender and plug info, Wilson.

I'll check which NGK plug I just installed.

• Like 1

Those plugs are listed fot a honda 300 fourtrax which you are not running... Just had to put that in.... Some hondas use the same plug for defrent models... As for which ones ? I can't very well say...my bad for not putting that information in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evang said:

That did the trick - thanks again!

Started right away after leaving the ignition on for 2 min and then priming.

Is there a user manual available? Be good to know what else I'm missing.

Glad to hear you had success with the preheat method

I will see if I can find an owners manual online for free,

I see them for sale on ebay from time to time

98-01 ES models are all the same, just so you know

AKATV

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Those plugs are listed fot a honda 300 fourtrax which you are not running... Just had to put that in.... Some hondas use the same plug for defrent models... As for which ones ? I can't very well say...my bad for not putting that information in. 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

The plug I replaced was one of those, Wilson - NGK DPR7EA-9.

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

11 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Glad to hear you had success with the preheat method

I will see if I can find an owners manual online for free,

I see them for sale on ebay from time to time

98-01 ES models are all the same, just so you know

AKATV

Thanks for looking, AKATV.

2 hours ago, AKATV said:

I found this for you, let me know how it works out

I have downloaded from them before with no issues

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1012455/Honda-2001-Trx-450es-Fourtrax-Foreman.html

Maybe we can add owners manuals to our library as they come in

Got it - thanks!

If you don't want them to change your default search engine and install a PDF reader extension, just login to that site.

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Here's that tender / charger like wheeler has.... Page 2 of this Battery tender options credit for this post goes to wheeler.

Looks good - thank you and wheeler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Your welcome. I see  you have a fairing on that bike ? (Profile background pic) 

It has one, but it's off at the moment.

I haven't found a cover that fits with the fairing on.

3 hours ago, evang said:

It has one, but it's off at the moment.

I haven't found a cover that fits with the fairing on.

Have a cover custom made , don't know about around you  , but down here since there are lots of boats , there are lots of top and cover builders , the best material  now days that I like is Sunbrella , it is like canvas on steroids ---

another thing popular for covers now days are used billboard signs , you know like on side the highway ,  the standard size is 14x40 , they come in all sizes and you cut them to size  , I got a connection and get them free -----  they are sold by the companies that put them up  >>>>  I see them advertise  and sell off of facebook I ,    just cut them to size and use bungee cords to secure them , they last a long time , super thick , quality material , put the advertisement facing down and no one will ever know ---- 

I don't guess you'll have to worry about it , but down here , I quit covering my atvs , the squirrels and rats will get up under the cover  , make a nest and chew wires 

• Like 2

You could plan to perform a fuel system service when weather gets better. I did one on my friend’s 03 450FPE a couple years ago. It had been sitting outside for awhile.

drained all the fuel from the tank, inspected and washed it; i also removed and cleaned the petcock and replaced the fuel gauge.
The bottom of that plastic tank is textured to trap sediment. He had some tannish colored particles in the tank, which is why I removed and washed it. I sprayed the petcock and gauge bolts with penetrating oil because I’ve seen where stripping the nutplates can ruin these tanks.
I washed the tank out with hot soapy water and a long handled bottle brush, then dried it in the sun. 
after I reinstalled the tank and put fresh fuel in it—the quad seemed to run better, but probably only cuz there was fresh fuel in it. 

setting valves is easy on this model—only one intake and exhaust per cylinder and one cover lol. Gotta have the tank off to do that anyway 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2