Six862m6

85 TRX250 Fourtrax Gas Tank Fitment

Hi folks, this is my first post here on the forums. I was directed here by one of the members over on HondaATVForums.net. This post will basically be a copy paste of that post. I would have put this in your "Utility Tech" section but of the three choices, none of them seemed right.

I happen to be restoring my dad's 85 TRX250 that he bought new that year and ran into a snag with the gas tank I picked up for it (he had at some point replaced the original metal tank with a plastic, I'm sure due to rust/leakage issues). So I purchased a good used OEM tank off of another 85 being parted out. It fits great.... almost. The only problem is the bolt holes in the back are off just enough that it is completely impossible to install the mounting screws. Rubber grommets in front fit good and snug, tank goes all the way forward on to them, tank feels good and secure while laying on the frame, and the screw holes are aligned vertically, but off just slightly horizontally.

I've attached some pictures showing the tank, the mounting on the front and what I'm talking about with the rear screw mounts. Please note that once I insert the OEM metal sleeve/collar combos into the rubber grommets, you can no longer even see the mounting hole in the frame.

Has anyone else ran into this before? I'm pretty confident this isn't a case of "press it forward harder and force it" as the tank is as far forward as the rubber grommet holders on it will allow.

PXL_20230128_211740851.jpg

PXL_20230128_211753073.jpg

PXL_20230128_211735827.jpg

Hi Six' , welcome to ATVHonda forum , I have had a few TRX250 Fourtraxs over the years , they made them from 1985-1987 , the 86 and 87 ( 2nd gen )  are pretty much 100% the same part interchange  , the 1985 ( 1st gen ) was an animal all by itself , dso many differences between the 2 genbs , I just looked up the part numbers and it is lasted as 1985 only , then 1986-87 , then I have seen 1986 1/2 models that were still 1st gen parts , so buying parts you need to watch it  -----     I think you have the wrong tank 

Maybe something can be done to make it work , personally  I am all about modifications , LOL 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi Six' , welcome to ATVHonda forum , I have had a few TRX250 Fourtraxs over the years , they made them from 1985-1987 , the 86 and 87 ( 2nd gen )  are pretty much 100% the same part interchange  , the 1985 ( 1st gen ) was an animal all by itself , dso many differences between the 2 genbs , I just looked up the part numbers and it is lasted as 1985 only , then 1986-87 , then I have seen 1986 1/2 models that were still 1st gen parts , so buying parts you need to watch it  -----     I think you have the wrong tank 

Maybe something can be done to make it work , personally  I am all about modifications , LOL 

Hi Fishfiles, I appreciate the reply. Typically I'm good with modifications as well but I'm trying to restore this particular bike to "as new" or as close as I can come to it for my dad. You can see in the one picture what I started with..... It's had a rough life.... at one time this thing ended up in the pond on my dad's property floating only by the big rear tires! (he forgot to set the parking brake when it was on a slight incline and he turned his back on it for too long.... ha!) that being said the engine is super healthy and it runs/drives good (now that I did some other fixes, see my comments on the wreck it was in coming up). The only real modification that I'm keeping is the CHEAP, high amp/capacity (compared to stock anyway) garden tractor battery mounted in front of the engine! This thing was a life saver before due to the 85s having a known cold start issue..... this one would never start before without some starting fluid aid even though the inside of the carb and jets were spotless!  That's fixed now as well.... I picked up, cleaned and installed an 86 (QA09 I believe) carb which had the cold start issue corrected. Starts right up now! Thankfully I was able to pick up an almost mint front plastic section (even has the original correct decals)...... finding that in really good shape was hard. He threw all of this stuff (and everything else you see missing) away over the years.... at this point I have pretty much everything ready to put back, including original mounting hardware. I even got all new (to me) racks/carries and had it all powder coated black (The originals seen on the bike in the pick were pretty well bent up EVERYWHERE). Going to put new tires on it as well and when I do, I'm going to have the wheels powder coated as well.

I know what you mean about the 85 being it's own animal.... One thing that already bit me is that the wheels are different from 86-87's. Not just how they look, the bolt pattern!  It's still 4 lugs of course, but one is actually smaller than the other (I don't know that actual sizes/specs right off hand). I bought a pair of fronts from an 86 to replaced the bent front wheel on the bike and they wouldn't fit!  Another thing that I've been fighting is that when this bike was only about 3 years old or so, my dad let one of his friends go riding back in the woods with it and they hit something so hard with the right front wheel that it actually bent the frame where the "J" arm attaches (as well as the J arm itself, front shock, wheel, and snapping the tie rod). Now this piece is actually replaceable on the 86-87 bikes as it is bolted on to the frame with 4 large bolts. Not so on the 85's! It's freaking welded to the frame! So I sacrificed the old, bent J arm and went to town with a heating torch and sledge hammer (See picture below of torch in action). It's not perfect but I got it straightened out enough that the new arm moves properly now that it is connected to the replacement shock. Before there was basically no suspension travel on that corner.

Now, on to the tanks. I did see that the 85 tank originally had a different part number as well. HOWEVER, they look to have superseded it with the same tank/part number as the 86 and 87 (check the diagrams below). That tells me that while there was a change, it had to be something small and not major like a mounting hole change, otherwise the new tanks wouldn't fit the old bike. Thoughts?

85 Tank.JPG

86 Tank.JPG

87 Tank.JPG

PXL_20221102_212152269.jpg

PXL_20221219_214716102.MP.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Six862m6 said:

Now, on to the tanks. I did see that the 85 tank originally had a different part number as well. HOWEVER, they look to have superseded it with the same tank/part number as the 86 and 87 (check the diagrams below). That tells me that while there was a change, it had to be something small and not major like a mounting hole change, otherwise the new tanks wouldn't fit the old bike. Thoughts?

If you  bought that tank used  and it doesn't fit , then I would say it is no telling what it fits , maybe it  could even  be a TRX350A or D , a 350  tank is built the same way >>>>>   the TRX200SX is very similar as well >>> since your 250  has been in a known wreck , bad enough that  the front end had to be heated up , then could it be possible that the frame is tweaked -----I think you got the wrong tank --- do you have a better pic  of how it doesn't fit ? 

One major difference for me to deal with was the  rear end , I use that 250 Fourtrax rear end in my 300s ,  about the only part of the 85 1st gen  rear end that  fits both gens is the differential ,  the axle , hubs , brake drum , axle tubes are all different lengths , etc ---------  also the swing arm of your 85 should be welded to your right axle tube and all be one piece --- the 86-87 is not    ---- I have learned that the 85-early 86s rear end parts are the same on a 95-861/2 ATC250 Big Red three wheeler 

• Like 1

One thing i saw right away on the parts list is a change in tank spacers. 
so maybe the tank can be fitted by changing another compatible component 

edit I checked Rocky Mountain atv but they have same part number. 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

Are you sure that tank is from an 85 250?  I know the 84 TRX200 was similar looking, but not the same machine,

The fact that the aftermarket tank fits would lead me to believe you have the wrong tank, rather than there being something bent.

I know you’re restoring the machine, but the plastic tanks are a nice upgrade.  No rust or leaky seams. Can’t see the tank on that model with the plastics installed either……

• Like 1

I show the same part # for all three years (250a)-(85-87) 17510-ha8-680 too.. But i think he's got the right tank because the 200sx didn't has a gas gauge ... Or am i mistaken ? And one of pics clearly shows the gas gauge, and gauge bezel .... 

36 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I show the same part # for all three years (250a)-(85-87) 17510-ha8-680 too.. But i think he's got the right tank because the 200sx didn't has a gas gauge ... Or am i mistaken ? 

What part house did you use ? --- Maybe  Rocky Mountain ATV ?  -----  I know the 200sx never had a gauge , had a few of them , have a tank for it , in perfect condition and just looked the 200a never had a fuel gauge in the tank ---I might have a 250 tank , I been throwing stuff that I will never use again away 

I used Partzilla and this is what I came up with ,  these numbers below --- have seen many , many times where the part numbers are different , but the part is the same ,  the 450s are notorious for that 

We know the frame is different cause as six' has said , the front suspension is bolted on , on one gen and welded on the other gen --- I just threw away two 250 Fourtrax  front ends like that ,  about a month ago 

TANK, FUEL
17510-HA8-000

This Honda 17510-HA8-000 TANK, FUEL fits the following models and components:

Honda ATV 1985 TRX250 A - FOURTRAX 250 Fuel Tank

image.pngTANK, FUEL
1986-1987 fuel tank 

17510-HA8-680

This Honda 17510-HA8-680 TANK, FUEL fits the following models and components:

Honda ATV 1987 TRX250 A - FOURTRAX 250 Fuel Tank

Honda ATV 1986 TRX250 A - FOURTRAX 250 Fuel Tank

image.png

• Thanks 1

Honda parts nation, i only use that site because the others won't open for me... That's an ipad issue... Least one that gives me problems... Best i stay out of this seance i don't have the same info y'all do... So my bad on that part..... I'll just stay tuned in wouldn't want to give wrong info on purpose.. Oh! And both shots are from year 87 models

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

18 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

If you  bought that tank used  and it doesn't fit , then I would say it is no telling what it fits , maybe it  could even  be a TRX350A or D , a 350  tank is built the same way >>>>>   the TRX200SX is very similar as well >>> since your 250  has been in a known wreck , bad enough that  the front end had to be heated up , then could it be possible that the frame is tweaked -----I think you got the wrong tank --- do you have a better pic  of how it doesn't fit ? 

One major difference for me to deal with was the  rear end , I use that 250 Fourtrax rear end in my 300s ,  about the only part of the 85 1st gen  rear end that  fits both gens is the differential ,  the axle , hubs , brake drum , axle tubes are all different lengths , etc ---------  also the swing arm of your 85 should be welded to your right axle tube and all be one piece --- the 86-87 is not    ---- I have learned that the 85-early 86s rear end parts are the same on a 95-861/2 ATC250 Big Red three wheeler 

So the guy I bought the tank from was parting out an '85 TRX250 for sure as I saw pictures of the bike before parting and bought other parts from it as well (namely the correct front plastic piece with correct decals), so I have no doubt there. I can take a better pic of the bike without the tank on it but I already looked it over and it doesn't look like anything is bent out of place. The aftermarket plastic tank for it had no fitment issues at all. As for a better pic of why it's not fitting, it's really just that one pic of the mounting holes not lining up..... that's it. Everything else fits perfect, from the way it grabs the rubber grommets on the front to how it lays on the frame. As for being a 350 or 200 tank, I would agree they're similar but none of them have a fuel gauge (which mine does as seen in my first pic). It's just weird....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Are you sure that tank is from an 85 250?  I know the 84 TRX200 was similar looking, but not the same machine,

The fact that the aftermarket tank fits would lead me to believe you have the wrong tank, rather than there being something bent.

I know you’re restoring the machine, but the plastic tanks are a nice upgrade.  No rust or leaky seams. Can’t see the tank on that model with the plastics installed either……

Yep, positive. Like I replied to Fish, I saw pics of the 85 being parted out that I bought the tank and other parts, namely the front plastic with correct decals for the year (these changed). Also, as I believe Wilson caught, the 200 is definitely a similar looking tank but doesn't have the fuel gauge which mine does.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the plastic except for two things; it uses it's own different looking fuel cap and, mainly, it doesn't have provisioning for said fuel gauge.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I show the same part # for all three years (250a)-(85-87) 17510-ha8-680 too.. But i think he's got the right tank because the 200sx didn't has a gas gauge ... Or am i mistaken ? And one of pics clearly shows the gas gauge, and gauge bezel .... 

Thanks for the replies Wilson. As you caught, the 200 doesn't have a fuel gauge which mine does. It's turning out to be a real head scratcher really.

• Thanks 1

So lay the wrong tank theory to the side , then since it is pretty sure the right tank ,  I would have to think the frame is tweaked  , it might  be hard , even impossible  to see a bend ,  maybe a crack in the paint here or there could be a tell tale of being bent  >>>>  the more I think about it after looking at your torch pic above , the more I think it is bent from that accident it had ----  what else could it be 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

So lay the wrong tank theory to the side , then since it is pretty sure the right tank ,  I would have to think the frame is tweaked  , it might  be hard , even impossible  to see a bend ,  maybe a crack in the paint here or there could be a tell tale of being bent  >>>>  the more I think about it after looking at your torch pic above , the more I think it is bent from that accident it had ----  what else could it be 

I would agree with this IF it weren't for the plastic tank fitting right. No modifications, fits like it should. Like I said, it's really weird.  I was/am almost at a spot where I'm wondering if the 86/87 tank mounting holes WERE slightly different (and this one had been replaced on that bike at some point.... I know a lot of them had rust/hole issues) and they would fit the 85's if YOU TRIED REAL HARD.....  🤣 Head Scratcher.....

Your welcome... But I've chose to stay out because these guys know more... And i don't have access to the other parts sites they do.. And not only is fish right but I've read post from others about parts numbers being updated over time... Plus they've been dealing with honda utility / sports machines longer then me... And you always go with those who know more...... Anyways that being said.... Still tuned in..... The very 1st atv i purchased... Was an 85 250a ... Still bothers me i sold that jewel.....

• Like 1

Did some more research on this and I did find a fairly easy way to differentiate an 85 from an 86-87 gas tank: the upper front area on the left side is "cut" away on the 86 87s as I believe this was to make room for the steering lock, which the 85s did not have. This being the case, it's quite possible that the rear mounting holes are just slightly off from each other as well. This being the case, I have to retract my previous statement about being sure the tank was from an '85. It is not, it has the cut away area as seen with the 86-87s. So even though the bike I bought it from was an 85, who knows..... maybe it was already replaced at some point as old as these bikes are or some kind of weird mid year change.:

85 Tank.JPG

86 87 Tank.JPG

• Like 3

for future reference, NEVER, EVER...TAKE A SELLERS WORD ON WHAT HE/SHE CLAIMS TO HAVE !..LOL. you must know, do your home work  when it comes to know what you are working on. with 30+ yrs under my belt on '' most '' honda atv's, atc's, i know what to look for in models.

• Like 1

As close as you are to lining up, give it a little force and put it in place. Just the old rubber grommets could be fighting you as they are, old. An old T handle spinner on the bolts and I would have had that bolted in place and not even think twice about it.

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

for future reference, NEVER, EVER...TAKE A SELLERS WORD ON WHAT HE/SHE CLAIMS TO HAVE !..LOL. you must know, do your home work  when it comes to know what you are working on. with 30+ yrs under my belt on '' most '' honda atv's, atc's, i know what to look for in models.

Eh, typically I do my due diligence and I tell everyone to do the same when I sell parts online. I usually don't have much of an issue but I was unaware that the 85 had so many differences than the 86 and 87s on these bikes when I started, including that the OEM gas tanks were slightly different. Live and learn. Not the end of the world and I ended up being able to make the tank I got work. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toodeep said:

As close as you are to lining up, give it a little force and put it in place. Just the old rubber grommets could be fighting you as they are, old. An old T handle spinner on the bolts and I would have had that bolted in place and not even think twice about it.

Yea, I got it to work. It's not right but the tank doesn't move and will serve it's purpose. I had to leave the stock metal sleeve/washer combos out of the grommets to do it (hence being not right), but I'll let it fly for now. If it bothers me too much, I'll pick up an '85 tank for it at some point.

Edited by Six862m6
Word Correction

Update to this thread. I went ahead and purchased a nice, clean '85 tank. Attached is a picture of the 85 and the 86-87 next to each other. You can easily see the "cut-away" for the steering lock on the 86-87 compared to the 85 here. Upon installation, I was able to actually get the rear mounting screws installed with original metal collars and all though it still took some finagle-ing and wasn't the perfectly matched up bolt holes that I am used to seeing from Honda, Yamaha, etc.  The upper tank shrouding (the part that says "HONDA") also fits much better/tighter now as well. This was what ultimately made me decide to find a 85 tank as I was afraid during and bit of rough riding, this pieces was going to constantly be trying to come loose on the sides and front.

PXL_20230304_004524801.jpg

• Like 2