Halfdog

2004 450FM Transmission mainshaft spline count?

2004 Honda Foreman 450s (manual shift).   Old farm rig.  We had to split the cases to solve some shift issues.   Discovered a couple gears with rounded dogs.   Ordered used replacement gear per OEM diagram for 2004 450FM.  But the gear we got has only 6 internal splines and our shaft (and the old gear) has 11 splines.    The only gear with that p/n and 11 splines I can find on ebay is from Kuwait for $99 + shipping.  All others pictured on Ebay and so on have only 6 splines.   Anyone know what's going on here or have a source for this number with 11 splines?   23441-HN0-A20 GEAR, MAINSHAFT THIRD (23T) Supersedes: 23441-HN0-670 (GEAR, MAINSHAFT THIRD (23T))

2004 gear pn.JPG

2004 transmission diagram.JPG

IMG_20230201_163238830.jpg

Kuwait Gear.JPG

Edited by Halfdog
added pic of 11 spline gear from Kuwait

Looks like they redesigned the gear and the shaft at some point. The same seller from Kuwait has an 12 tooth shaft for sale that matches your old gear, while the US sellers all show a shaft with fewer teeth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354382114569?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=354382114569&targetid=1645685073288&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9026054&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073288&abcId=9300841&merchantid=527405814&gclid=CjwKCAiA_vKeBhAdEiwAFb_nrZTa2o2EtabGGWfYsFGXVCWJdR2bySv13C5RM49-KkDUiRWMOraEURoCQAIQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363707035720

These people originally had the 11 tooth gear AND also the corresponding mainshaft for sale.

https://abmotorsports.ca/products/mainshaft-23211-hn0-670

What i do notice is the 11 tooth gears all seem to be outside of the US.  Where are you located Halfdog?

Interesting.

I'm in exotic location of Kansas!  And bike was a farm rig in Missouri!

I offered Kuwait $35 for the gear and they declined.    I've been reading about how to die grind the dogs smaller and to have a sharp corner again.   Would be better if I had a cnc mill to do the job evenly.   What a hassle!

We had just put the engine back together and were running it the yard at 10pm.   But it would not shift into 5th gear.  Lots of clattering.  So we pulled the engine and split it open.   That gears dogs were rounded and the shift fork bent a little.  Got a new shift fork, and a great looking gear with 6 splines.   

going out on a limb here, the gears you got, and the old gear ( some one did not match them right ) does not match. the main shaft, and counter shaft are splinned differently. the old gear you took out, is not the correct gear, all these gears have a square spline, not v shapped on the main shaft. # 1 above ^^..is the main shaft, it must match # 11, as both are splinned correctly. in your pic above ^^, the gear on the right does not match the splines for # 1 main shaft. who ever has been inside this engine ?, did not put it back together the right way..lol.

Can you read (and post if you can) the VIN number and the motor number? If nothing else just the motor number might be enough. I'm interested to see if it's an US machine or an import.

To close out this saga...I did find a used entire gear bundle that was also 11 splines...eBay..$70... Worked perfect.   Put new rings, honed the cylinder, fixed up 100 other abused items, now the bike is running and manual shifting like new!

Thanks everyone!

Here's those serial numbers for your interest.   I don't see any matching strings, so I guess the implication is it has its motor swapped.  What an abortion this bike was.   We've completely fixed it now, learned a lot.

IMG_20230303_224843127.jpg

IMG_20230303_225327126.jpg

• Like 2

That motor is original to that machine and all US. It was sold on 07/05/2004 to a Harris.

• Like 2

Interesting they match.   I didn't notice any matching numbers?

yes the title said harris I believe.   A farm.   Should be proceuted for criminal quad abuse and neglect.   Using imperial screws in metric holes.   Air box hanging from bent hacksaw blades and sheet rockacews.   It's back to being solid bike now!

• Like 1