SANDRA BLACKMON

electric shift problems

I have 2013 honda rancher es  that we just put electrical grease in all electrical plug in back end to keep water and mud out but its stuck in 3 gear and have not been in mud or water  any ideal what else it could be   

Welcome , I am not a ES guy but I read a lot of the problems with them , one easy quick thing to try  is remove the shift motor , don't disassemble the shift motor , take it off with the base attached to the motor , clean the old OEM grease off  and re-grease it , seems the oem grease gets hard and keeps it from working -- also angle sensors go bad , have you change it yet ------ 

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome , I am not a ES guy but I read a lot of the problems with them , one easy quick thing to try  is remove the shift motor , don't disassemble the shift motor , take it off with the base attached to the motor , clean the old OEM grease off  and re-grease it , seems the oem grease gets hard and keeps it from working -- also angle sensors go bad , have you change it yet ------ 

angle sensor was replaced about a year ago due to recall   haven't messed with   the shift motor just bought atv  it in sept for grandson for christmas   it was in shop in november had all fluids changed and a complete ck out of it and they said it was all in good working order  only started this when my he went and played in mud 

Edited by SANDRA BLACKMON

I think the place to start is  remove , clean and grease the shift motor -----  I am taking for granted that it shifts with the emergency tool ? 

43 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I think the place to start is  remove , clean and grease the shift motor -----  I am taking for granted that it shifts with the emergency tool ? 

yes

Can you manually shift it back to neutral? You might have to rock the machine back and forth while shifting it. Once back in neutral cycle the key switch and see what the display does. If it's flashing count the number of flashes. There will be 2 patterns, long blink and short. That will give us a code to get a general idea on where to start.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, toodeep said:

Can you manually shift it back to neutral? You might have to rock the machine back and forth while shifting it. Once back in neutral cycle the key switch and see what the display does. If it's flashing count the number of flashes. There will be 2 patterns, long blink and short. That will give us a code to get a general idea on where to start.

2 long 4 short 

3 hours ago, toodeep said:

Code 24 is shift motor control drive circuit.

Download your factory service manual here, go to page 23-14 for a list of problem codes, and it will give you the page number to go to in order to troubleshoot the error code.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12hzs10L_Gwu0aVyp8vhmEXNdf2N2P7tk

Use the 07-10 420 manual.  Same as your 2013.

Edited by jeepwm69
  • Like 2