jeepwm69

Prices on new parts for older machines

Things have really gone nuts lately with parts prices on some of the older machines like the OBS 420 Ranchers and even my 05-11 Footshifts.

My buddy's kid wrecked a 2012 420AT during the ice storm.  Busted up the front fender and headlight.  New front fender for that particular model (2012 420FPA) is $317.  The same front fender for a 2010 420PFM is $200.  The difference?  The little sticker under the headlight.

He mentioned maybe doing a color change, and I told him that the front and rear fenders could be had for about $200 each, but that the rear is backordered for 200+ days, and then he'd have to buy the side covers (about $30 each right now) and the radiator cap ($60 for green, $30 for red, and $270 for black)  That's the little triangle shaped cover in the middle of the front fender that covers the radiator cap.

Then I looked at tank covers.  CRAP!

420 tank.JPG

So anyhow, recently I got a few white bits from an 08 Foreman in some trading.  A new white front fender for an 08 Foreman footshift is $370.  A friend of mine picked up a white 2014 Rubicon a couple of months ago, so I dug through schematics, and found that the 2014 Rubicon and 2008 were the only two years for white fenders.  A new front fender for a 2008 Rubicon?  $155.  A new front fender for a 2014 Rubicon?  $93.  All three of those parts are the exact same white fender, the only difference being the little sticker under the pod light. 

The air guide, which is the grill that bolts into the front fender on the 05-11 Foremans and 05-14 Rubicons, and is color specific?  $370 for white, $397 for green, $465 for red

air guide.JPG

• Like 1

So, with that in mind, I told my buddy to order the front fender now for the 2010 420FPM, which is backordered to March 3rd.  I told him probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a new rear fender as well, since he has two of the same machine, both in green.  Rear is backordered 200+ days. 

But dang at some of the prices these days on these smaller bits and pieces. 

Yes I agree 110%. Working on my 300 is insane for prices right now. But guess if u wanna still play u have to pay…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Yes I agree 110%. Working on my 300 is insane for prices right now. But guess if u wanna still play u have to pay…

I’m sure you’re getting hard parts, but remember to search for different years because a lot of times parts will interchange but one year will be a lot cheaper than another

• Like 1

So when I posted this thread, I ordered a rear fender for a 2014 Rubicon.  $157.

after payday I ordered a front fender for the same machine which was also $157

left tank cover was $32 for an 08 foreman, over $100 for all the other years 05-11.  

right tank cover was cheap for the 2014 Rubicon, much much higher for every other year.

So I ordered tank covers as well.  Got a notification a couple of days ago that the 2008 left tank cover is discontinued and no longer available.  Of course I can order the exact same part for a 2009 foreman but it will cost me $100 more…..

still holding out hope that the right cover will be delivered. 

I figured since I have an 06 and an 09 Footshift, and 05 Rubicon, and a 2012 Rubicon that all use the same fenders I would stash a set of new green fenders while they are still affordable

Oh in that front fender that I ordered for $157 when I created this thread is now up over $180

• Like 2

everything is high dollar now, we know who to thank for this !. i ordered a outer clutch for this '02 trx450fm couple days ago, way back when i replaced this part on my '03 trx450fm, it was around 100 bucks ( give or take ) i had to order it from partzilla ( shiver ) , this very same outer clutch part cost me 260 something bucks !. i would have got it from rmatv, but they did not have any in stock, where is partzilla did. sad part about all of this is..it's only going to get worse from here on out !.

• Like 3

So the green front fender that I ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV came in several weeks ago. Part number on the side of the box was correct, but when I opened it there was a red new front fender inside.

Rocky mountain sent me a return label and back it went.  They ordered me another green front fender,  which of course was back ordered. It arrived a few minutes ago.

Yep, red again.

Apparently  Honda has a batch of red fenders that got dumped into boxes with a green fender part number on them.  Question is, how many?

Rocky Mountain is sending another return label, and I told them I still need a green fender, and I want to lock it in at the price they are currently, but to put it on hold until they can figure out what the problem at Honda is.

I guess FedEx/UPS is making a lot of money on this deal, but nobody else is. Hopefully Honda will make things right with Rocky Mountain on the shipping back-and-forth, but from what I’ve seen and heard about Honda corporate, Rocky Mountain will probably end up getting hurt on this deal through no fault of their own.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

So the green front fender that I ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV came in several weeks ago. Part number on the side of the box was correct, but when I opened it there was a red new front fender inside.

Rocky mountain sent me a return label and back it went.  They ordered me another green front fender,  which of course was back ordered. It arrived a few minutes ago.

Yep, red again.

Apparently  Honda has a batch of red fenders that got dumped into boxes with a green fender part number on them.  Question is, how many?

Rocky Mountain is sending another return label, and I told them I still need a green fender, and I want to lock it in at the price they are currently, but to put it on hold until they can figure out what the problem at Honda is.

I guess FedEx/UPS is making a lot of money on this deal, but nobody else is. Hopefully Honda will make things right with Rocky Mountain on the shipping back-and-forth, but from what I’ve seen and heard about Honda corporate, Rocky Mountain will probably end up getting hurt on this deal through no fault of their own.

I ordered a 1982 Ford Bronco on a special order , took about 10 weeks , wanted red on white , it came white on red , they said Ford had changed their color scheme from 1981 to 1982 , one was called Deluxe two tone,  the other Victorian , they do some stupid crap ,  didn't want to wait another 10 weeks , it grew on me ---- 

Parts are crazy high for my old 85 Big Red 250 if you can find them. Got her fixed up pretty good it's not going to be used in any mud or water it's going to be my yard working bike and maintaining my trails when dry. 

• Like 1

Lot of Honda parts are being discontinued.  I've had two backorders cancelled in the last month or two because the parts are no longer being made.

One was a left tank cover for an 08 Foreman 500FM, and the other was a front bumper for the same.

Really sucks too, because I had a 15% off coupon on that front bumper, so it was $173ish for a new one (free shipping).  That order was placed in June.  The tank cover was placed a year ago.

Neither the black nor the silver bumpers for the 05-11 Foreman and the 05-14 Rubicons are even able to put on backorder now.  Apparently the silver is discontinued, and black is "currently unavailable" so who knows if they'll become available again.

7 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Lot of Honda parts are being discontinued.  I've had two backorders cancelled in the last month or two because the parts are no longer being made.

One was a left tank cover for an 08 Foreman 500FM, and the other was a front bumper for the same.

Really sucks too, because I had a 15% off coupon on that front bumper, so it was $173ish for a new one (free shipping).  That order was placed in June.  The tank cover was placed a year ago.

Neither the black nor the silver bumpers for the 05-11 Foreman and the 05-14 Rubicons are even able to put on backorder now.  Apparently the silver is discontinued, and black is "currently unavailable" so who knows if they'll become available again.

you might wanna give ole catfish a call, he still has those rubi auto's, ele shifts in his pastor..lol. be warned though, last i spoke to him, he wanted to sell the whole atv...not part them out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shadetree said:

you might wanna give ole catfish a call, he still has those rubi auto's, ele shifts in his pastor..lol. be warned though, last i spoke to him, he wanted to sell the whole atv...not part them out.

He has those 01-04 with the 450ish looking fenders, with the full time 4wd and drum brakes, and the crappy oil pumps that killed the Hondamatics.  

The 05-14 Rubicons and the 05-11 Foremans shared bumpers, racks, fenders, rear ends, front ends, brakes, etc.   I've tried to hoard parts for those as I can use them on either model. 

The early Rubicons that run are becoming more rare by the day.  He might have some $$$ out of those if he holds onto them long enough. 

21 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

He has those 01-04 with the 450ish looking fenders, with the full time 4wd and drum brakes, and the crappy oil pumps that killed the Hondamatics.  

The 05-14 Rubicons and the 05-11 Foremans shared bumpers, racks, fenders, rear ends, front ends, brakes, etc.   I've tried to hoard parts for those as I can use them on either model. 

The early Rubicons that run are becoming more rare by the day.  He might have some $$$ out of those if he holds onto them long enough. 

he does not work on them any more...he has not touched an atv is some time, he tinkers with them here an there...but never works on them like i do.