Six862m6

85 TRX250 Headlight Wiring Question

Hi folks, I was wondering if someone might be able to direct me as to how the extra wiring for the removable headlight on an 85 TRX250 was originally bundled up/placed?  In the middle of restoring my dad's old bike and it has looked like the first picture I've attached for the last 20 years at least....  Now that I have all of the original plastic back for it, I'd like to put that wire back how it should go (I believe it goes in the cubby under the headlight itself with the two main fuses, yes?). Any info or pics would be great, thank you!

PXL_20221102_212152269 (1).jpg

PXL_20230207_230854866.jpg

• Like 2

I can't remember it  to well , other than the cord  was not very neat or organized --- the best you can come up , using your imagination ( best tool in the box ) with ,  is likely better than it was from the factory 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

I can't remember it  to well , other than the cord  was not very neat or organized --- the best you can come up , using your imagination ( best tool in the box ) with ,  is likely better than it was from the factory 

Yea, if no one else chimes in or anything, I'll probably just bundle it up as neat as possible and use a nice, reusable wire tie on it and put it in there.

• Like 1

That's about right.. Best you can.... I never liked taking mine out just because tucking that cable was a pita..... I did just what your thinking .... zip tie... But the type that released the teeth (re usable) but now if i had to do it all over.... I'd op for the new Velcro type wire wraps (pic) 

image.jpg

both wires have a rubber plug around them, each one has to slide into the plastic cover. one cable comes up, other goes down. but to answer yer question, its not alot of space inside the cubby hole to pack all the cable down inside there. and what the heck is up with where you got the battery placed in that one pic ?, thats not oem for sure !..lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

That's about right.. Best you can.... I never liked taking mine out just because tucking that cable was a pita..... I did just what your thinking .... zip tie... But the type that released the teeth (re usable) but now if i had to do it all over.... I'd op for the new Velcro type wire wraps (pic) 

image.jpg

Hey, I like that idea right there! I may pick one of those up as well. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

both wires have a rubber plug around them, each one has to slide into the plastic cover. one cable comes up, other goes down. but to answer yer question, its not alot of space inside the cubby hole to pack all the cable down inside there. and what the heck is up with where you got the battery placed in that one pic ?, thats not oem for sure !..lol.

Hi Shadetree. Yea, the battery itself and its location is certainly NOT stock. Ha. My dad modded that YEARS ago for several reasons. One, he got tired of paying so much money for the little OEM sized battery that tucks up near the left rear wheel. That is a good ol "garden tractor battery" that runs about $40 from Walmart (probably $50 now with inflation but still half as much as the $100 for the OEM size). So cost was one issue. Cost bothered him because as you may or may not know, 85s had a notorious cold start issue and his was no different. He's turning 80 this month so he's not really the internet generation..... he dealt with it mostly by burning up batteries and starting fluid. However the much larger capacity garden tractor battery could take the abuse much, much better than the stock OEM. He even went so far as to tossing the OEM battery box (why, I couldn't tell you, I know he had to relocate the starter solenoid as he couldn't find a battery cable long enough to reach the stock location). 

I have replaced the OEM battery box and parts and placed the solenoid back in it's stock location attached to the back of the battery box. Then ordered a nice custom length battery cable that tucks up and runs back to the solenoid in it's stock location. Now I have the option to go back to the OEM sized/location of battery but honestly, even though I've since corrected the cold start issue (my solution was to buy a used '86 carburetor (a QA09 to be exact) and rebuild it. Works great!), I still like the larger, cheaper battery idea so I am keeping it for now. I live in IN so I'm not going swamping with this bike. If it gives me issues on the trails the few times out of the year that I'll use it for that, then I may change it back. But for now, I'm good with it. 👍

PXL_20221102_212152269 (1).jpg

PXL_20230206_214113879.jpg

PXL_20230206_213212724.jpg

PXL_20230206_213228145.MP.jpg

• Like 2

Lot of the 300 guys will put a tractor battery like that in the trunk, just because you get more CCA, capacity, and for less than 1/2 of the price of the OEM YTX14.

I gotta say, I've seriously considered it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Lot of the 300 guys will put a tractor battery like that in the trunk, just because you get more CCA, capacity, and for less than 1/2 of the price of the OEM YTX14.

I gotta say, I've seriously considered it!

Yeah I can't find much fault with it either. As long as it doesn't give me any issues while riding on the trails, I'm good with it. 

4 minutes ago, Six862m6 said:

Those are pretty slick!

Home Depot has them in different sizes , might work to keep your light cord organized