Hooks501

2008 TRX500 no spark

Hello all, I’m new here and have a no spark on a 2008 TRX500. The display only has the green neutral on and is showing ESP D1 D2 on.

I can’t even retrieve any fault codes either. Possible ecu problem?

Welcome to ATVHonda forums , first thing I would try are the easiest  , if you have not already , try a brand new spark plug , sometimes the plug looks good but will not spark  if that don't work , I would  remove the spark plug boot by unscrewing it  , cut 1/4 inch off the wire's end  and re-attach the cap / boot  to the fresh cut coil wire 

Rubicon given the ESP D1 D2 you mentioned on the dash.

If your display doesn’t show N you won’t have spark.  Will it start with right brake lever pulled?

is the Esp D1 D2 blinking a pattern at all?

• Like 1

No it wont start with the right brake pulled either. The only neutral indicator I have is the green neutral light. The display where the gear position shows is just two hypens. I cant even get it to show and flash codes either.

I noticed yeaterday after we put a new battery in it that with just the ignition switch on, the ecu was so hot that you couldn’t keep your hand on it. I wouldn’t think it is supposed to get that hot. Any thoughts on that?

I agree, shouldn’t get that hot.  You are referring to the ecu up front and not the voltage regulator out back, correct?

Did you try reinitializing it?  Directions are in the FSM.  It’s kinda like getting 30 men in Contra, using up and down shift buttons in a sequence along with turning the switch on and off

• Like 1

Yes the ecu in front of the handlbars. I was going to try to reinitialze it but the FSM  says to let it run for thirty seconds and then ride forward 5 feet but I figured that wouldn’t work since it wont even start.

3 hours ago, Hooks501 said:

Yes the ecu in front of the handlbars. I was going to try to reinitialze it but the FSM  says to let it run for thirty seconds and then ride forward 5 feet but I figured that wouldn’t work since it wont even start.

hmmmm.

all fuses good?  

Normally when something electrical gets hot like that it points to a short somewhere. 

Anything aftermarket on it? Lights, winch, etc.?

You say it’s a new battery?

I’m on mobile so not easy for me to pull up the FSM over the weekend.  

I would try initializing it without riding it first.  If for no other reason I’m just curious to see if you can hear the shift motor spin the swash plate back-and-forth

• Like 2

Yeah new Interstate battery, only thing I see on it aftermarket is a winch. It was running fine then just stopped running. I was able to get flash code from it only one time. Replaced shift angle sensor and installed it preloaded like the SM says and it hasnt made any difference. It quit running before all this so I’m not sure. I’m in Virginia