shadetree

2006 trx500fm

This arrived this evening, as you can see in one of the pics, some good ole back woods red rtv sealant was used as a base gasket on the cylinder..DO NOT DO THIS...EVER !!!. engine is out, split, cleaned the cases up a tad. few broken rings ( i think anyway ? ) were in the bottom end. piston is .50, this tells me it was sunk more than once, some one thought it would be ok just to replace the top end ?..NO..YOU CAN NOT DO THIS !!. top of rod is bad, will replace it with a complete lower engine,  gasket kit from hot rods. gonna go with oem cylinder, along with a few other oem parts from rmatv. last pic is the oil filter pick up screen, notice anything wrong in the pic ?..lol.

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

• Like 5

update: just placed two orders for parts. one order is from rmatv: oem cylinder, oem cam chain, all oem gaskets, oem oil temp switch. oem head gasket, oem rocker box gasket, all this came to $ 528.63. parts from ebay : '' hot rods '' complete engine rebuild kit, comes with crank, crank bearings, some gaskets, oil seals, piston, piston rings, wrist pin, wrist pin c-clips, all this came to $ 644.96 with taxes. his budget ( that we talked about ) was $ 2,200.00 in parts and labor. i'm charging him $ 1,000.00 to pull motor, split motor, clean engine cases, put all back together, install engine back in frame. he's good with all this. hardest part out of all this is waiting on parts !..lol.

@jeepwm69 , first gear was the upgraded gear set, no need to replace it, it looked to be in great shape. i guess honda already installed the upgraded gear set in '06 ?..not sure ?, but i did check the gear set, everything looked great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shadetree said:

@jeepwm69 , first gear was the upgraded gear set, no need to replace it, it looked to be in great shape. i guess honda already installed the upgraded gear set in '06 ?..not sure ?, but i did check the gear set, everything looked great.

So the big gear had 6 dogs and not 4?  If so, someone who was in there before you replaced it.  Probably the red RTV person lol.

What you doing with the old cylinder?  Why new and not having the old one bored?

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

So the big gear had 6 dogs and not 4?  If so, someone who was in there before you replaced it.  Probably the red RTV person lol.

What you doing with the old cylinder?  Why new and not having the old one bored?

correct on gear dogs. went with new cylinder because this old one has already been bored twice, piston is .50 right now. i'm not saving it, you can have it if you want it ?.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can go up to 1.5 over on those.  If you don’t want it I’d like to have it.  Will bore it and keep it for a spare!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

You can go up to 1.5 over on those.  If you don’t want it I’d like to have it.  Will bore it and keep it for a spare!

i will need the long studs out of it..as you know..new cylinders do not come with them, so i'll have to take them out, then the cylinder is yers !.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

@jeepwm69 , i was wrong, counted wrong gear ?..crap !..and now i've got to tell this guy, see if he wants to upgrade or not ?, got a spare set wanna let go until i get a new gear set ordered ?. crank will be here tuesday, and now i don't have a 1st gear upgrade !..sigh, this is what i get for working long hours.

update: just got off the phone with this owner, he said to order the gear set, along with a spark plug, valve guide seals  ( i forgot to order the spark plug and valve guide seals ), soo..the saga continues..lol.

• Like 4

update: well..this ship sunk fast, ebay has screwed me around on the bottom end kit, dealing with that right now. i'll update this thread later when i find out more on how the ebay seller is going to fix this mess.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: well..this ship sunk fast, ebay has screwed me around on the bottom end kit, dealing with that right now. i'll update this thread later when i find out more on how the ebay seller is going to fix this mess.

Order gaskets from this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174113254457

Crank bearings from RMATV

And send the crank to Vince at Mr Crankshaft.  You'll have it back in less than a week. 

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Order gaskets from this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174113254457

Crank bearings from RMATV

And send the crank to Vince at Mr Crankshaft.  You'll have it back in less than a week. 

but what about the oil seals ?. trying to get a whole bottom end kit...and i would have, if ebay did not mess with me !. once i send this piston kit back to these dip sticks ( that's if they would send me a return label ! ), i'll get all my money back. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM EWS MOTORSPORTS ON EBAY !!!. They drop shipped the bottom end kit from another seller, sent me the piston kit, packing slip shows everything was delivered here ?, AND IT WASN'T !...ALL I GOT WAS THE PISTON KIT !..LOL. after i tossed a neg review at the selller, they cancelled my bottom end kit while it was headed here, but left me hanging with the piston kit ?..grrr..i'm not done with these ! hats yet !.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

update: finally got the pre-paid return label emailed to me, got that printed off, ran down to the the post office yesterday, the piston kit is on its way back. now i've got to wait until that gets back before i can get all my money back, sigh. i got the oem cylinder kit, oem gaskets, oem cam chain, oem oil filter, with o-rings , spark plug , oem oil temp sensor, first gear set , rocker box gasket, mainly every thing to rebuild the engine, cept the dang crank !..lol. as soon as i get my money back, i will order another crank, AND NOT FROM THAT LAST EBAY SELLER !.

Wow , I just took a look for interchange of a crank -----   A crank at Partzilla is $697 and looks it only fits 500s --- I thought maybe a 450 would be the same ,I would guess the difference is  likely a different stroke ---- made me go to thinking , maybe a 450 crank and jug bolt up to that lower >>> because I have a 450 with a sleeved 500 jug and piston ---- so go see Marvin and turn that 500 into  a 450 and save that $700  LOL 

Vince @ Mr Crankshaft   or   Crankworks http://crankworks.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Wow , I just took a look for interchange of a crank -----   A crank at Partzilla is $697 and looks it only fits 500s --- I thought maybe a 450 would be the same ,I would guess the difference is  likely a different stroke ---- made me go to thinking , maybe a 450 crank and jug bolt up to that lower >>> because I have a 450 with a sleeved 500 jug and piston ---- so go see Marvin and turn that 500 into  a 450 and save that $700  LOL 

Vince @ Mr Crankshaft   or   Crankworks http://crankworks.com/

haha..already compared the 450's to the 500's crank...you are correct, the 500 crank is only for the 500's !. as for jerry-rigging it ?, ain't gonna happen, this is a cust, not mine, he's paying top dollar to have it built right, soo..this only leaves oem all the way ( cept the crank, not paying over 700 bucks for one ). soon as i get my cash ( well...his cash ) back from that crappy ebay seller ?, i'll look for another bottom end kit from a diff seller.

update: still waiting on piston kit to get back to the ebay seller, tracking shows its in ME right now, soon as it gets to the seller, they give them 3 bizz days to get my money back. i could order another bottom end kit from a different seller on ebay ?, but that would cut my cash very close to empty ?..soo..just gonna wait on this cash back from this seller.

update: ebay seller got the piston kit back yesterday, now i wait for my full refund. i may have some one to press a new rod on this old crank ?, won't know until tomorrow. i had to order a std piston, std rings, wrist pin, and wrist pin clips from rmatv, bout 160 and some change otd. now all i need is the oil seals, i'll see if my rod guy can get the oil seals when he orders the rod.

I’m off tomorrow Shade.  Have the mini-me all day though.  Hoping she’ll let me sleep in.  I’ll call you when we get up.

still working on getting a rod for this, buddy of mine will be the one doing the work on it. won't know until later today ?. one of these days, i need to take an old crank, and see if i can get it apart with my shop press, press a new crank rod back on. i don't have the right tools to check to make sure its pressed back together '' true '' ?, soo..it will be a crap shoot if i attempt. this. has anyone here tried doing a crank rod replacement ?, chime in if ya have ?.

just dropped the crank off at my buds place, lets see how long it takes for him to get the new rod on it ?..lol.

I have been rebuilding motocross crankshafts for 19 years. I have a 35 ton press and a jig for assembly.. A 20 ton press was not enough to get them apart.

1 minute ago, oldmxrider said:

I have been rebuilding motocross crankshafts for 19 years. I have a 35 ton press and a jig for assembly.. A 20 ton press was not enough to get them apart.

my bud told me my 20 ton press would work for pressing atv cranks apart, and he's the man i trust very much, when he tells me something ?, i listen !. he's been a honda mechanic for longer than i've been alive i believe. ?. he has taught me a lot in my 30 yrs of doing this kinda work, very smart man. p.s. he also said its easier to cut the rod with a cut-off wheel type of tool, then press the pins out once the crank is apart.

update: got off the phone with my bud earlier, he said a new '' hot rod's '' connecting rod, parts and labor would run 270 otd, this includes a oil seal kit. i may or moay not get it back tomorrow ?, we'll see. i am waiting on the piston kit from rmatv, prob wont see that until around fri-sat this week ?. but at aleast i can get the lower engine back together once i get the crank back.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:58 AM, shadetree said:

I thought it was 4th gear instead of 1st gear?

28 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

I thought it was 4th gear instead of 1st gear?

no..1st gear on the 500's..4th gear was a problem on the 420's.

• Like 2